PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We need to send a message to the people running this board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: We need to send a message to the people running this board Reply with quote

Clearly our near-unanimous calls for The Troll to be banned have fallen on deaf ears.

This forum is indeed nearly dead, and I believe it is largely because of one person whose posts are designed to disrupt discussion and demoralise the other members. I, for one, have had enough of it. I am now not going to post until the end of this month, as a personal protest. I will come back on June 1st, and if The Troll still hasn't been banned then I think I'm going to call it a day.

I urge others to do the same. Perhaps if the people making the decisions see an entirely inactive board, apart from The Troll, they will finally ban him. Should have happened months ago.
cubes

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask them to add an ignore user feature instead?
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
You could ask them to add an ignore user feature instead?

AFAIK, that would mean upgrading the software. The site's run on a shoestring as it is. But yes, it would be a good feature, made even better if no-one quoted the troll(s).
AndySir

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure RGR can really be held responsible for the quietness of the forum. The other shoe of peak oil has dropped, and the world appears to be able to continue with BAU with only the slight complication of the destruction of all life on Earth. The topic of resource constraints has gone mainstream. There's not much interest in posting about what everybody knows.

As for a toxic atmosphere on the board I'd say you and I (and SC) were far more responsible for that.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, he's banned. Of course, he may pop up again under another name, in which case the admins need to be informed again. No more second chances...

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best news I've heard all day. I accidentally wiped our code source tree in our svn repository this afternoon, and had to grovel to our support consultants for a roll back. My boss was unimpressed...
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hard balance to strike. Free speech is good, but this is a community, not a completely public space, so there has to be some consensual etiquette, with those who repeatedly breach it being removed I think...

Sorry it took so long with this one. It baffles me as to why someone would devote so much time to annoying people... Rolling Eyes

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndySir wrote:
The topic of resource constraints has gone mainstream.
Forgive me for being not entirely convinced of that. Laughing But if it has, it appears that no-one gives a toss.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's mainstream, as in, Government knows about it, does nowt, and it's left to a few of us (including the odd newspaper article) to make a noise, and there's mainstream as in, everybody takes it on board and does things. Although I say fttt that The Great British Public are quietly beginning to cotton on, this is only beginning. And, so far, it's still for the most part quiet.

My theory is, the board's gone quiet at least partly 'cause it's spring, and people are busy planting food. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Though the absence of trolls is to be welcomed Very Happy
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't posted anything for a week because I've been walking the hills of Galloway with no internet connection.. I'm back now. Smile
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikepepler wrote:
It's a hard balance to strike. Free speech is good, but this is a community, not a completely public space, so there has to be some consensual etiquette, with those who repeatedly breach it being removed I think...

Sorry it took so long with this one. It baffles me as to why someone would devote so much time to annoying people... Rolling Eyes

Free speech is one thing, misdirection is another. I don't remember Ralph once actually answering a question properly.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndySir wrote:

As for a toxic atmosphere on the board I'd say you and I (and SC) were far more responsible for that.

Possibly, but I don't think so. Our disagreements were ours. There was serious unpleasantness from both sides, but it was directed at each other. The Troll, on the other hand, was here to annoy as many people as possible, with the direct intention of killing this board.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
AndySir wrote:

Possibly, but I don't think so. Our disagreements were ours. There was serious unpleasantness from both sides, but it was directed at each other. The Troll, on the other hand, was here to annoy as many people as possible, with the direct intention of killing this board.

Yes and most of us left you to get on with it. Your aims are not to derail every fecking thread. The troll was winning, despite being food-planting time and good weather for walking. Cool
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed how many more posts there have been in the last 24 hours?

Sometimes free speech means not being shouted down all the time.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I agree with free speech, it's kind-of a bit like Godwin's Law. Starting to defend what one is saying purely on the grounds of free speech (rather than on its own merits) can be taken as an implication that whatever's being said actually has no merits...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Suggestion Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: