PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

solar panel question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boisdevie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: solar panel question Reply with quote

On a newbuild I can either have linked panels on the roof at an angle I choose. Linked panels means I don't need roof tiles as the panels act as tiles. So cheaper. Or have panels on a manually adjustable frame so I can adjust them for maximum output depending on the time of year. Opinions?
biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has moving parts, it will go wrong. Sod's Law of Physics.
boisdevie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
If it has moving parts, it will go wrong. Sod's Law of Physics.

No, manually adjustable in the sense of adjust the inclination perhaps each month. Not a whizzo complicated automatic tracking system.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PVs are now optimised for a slightly higher frequency of light (bluer colour) so they can pick up power from clouds or from the clear sky in the absence of direct sunlight. Tracking devices were a lot more advantageous before this happened.

Were I you, I'd ask about the panels' light response, and then if it's the optimised type it's probably not worth the extra bother of having an adjustable angle.

Solar tiles are nice but not quite as efficient as panels because they tend to become warmer (no draft behind them) and electrical resistance goes up a bit with temperature. Ask the tile guys about this, they'd probably be daft not to be honest about it.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still get much more power from direct sunlight. But in terms of adjusting the tilt, you could just do it twice a year, giving you a summer and a winter setting.

Candy's point about heat is more important though - hot panels deliver a lot less power, so that on its own is a good argument for not having integrated tiles.

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid anything adjustable if you possibly can, even a simple manual adjustment has added something else to go wrong.
IMO adjustable module supports increase the risk of damage from high winds, since there are normally fewer fixing points.

The modules that look like roof tiles or slates and are fitted in place of other roof covering do suffer from high temperatures reducing output, this is much more of a problem for battery charging than for grid tied use.

If you fear TEOTWAWKI, then the modules that resemble roof tiles or slates are less liable to theft, looting, or requisitioning than are the more conventional and readily recognised modules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Solar Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: