PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merits of reintroduction of locally extinct wildlife
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can leave my desk right now ,drive twenty miles to the gun shop or Walmart, pick out a new rifle , get background checked etc. and be home with it and ammo for it in about an hour or hour and a half. Your UK farmer probably can't get one in under a month.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the result that gun crime and the number of people killed by nutters with guns is a fraction if what it is in the US. Most farmers that I know are quite happy with that situation.

If you have a very urgent situation that requires something shooting a quick phone call will get someone who can around in very short time.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
With the result that gun crime and the number of people killed by nutters with guns is a fraction if what it is in the US. Most farmers that I know are quite happy with that situation.

If you have a very urgent situation that requires something shooting a quick phone call will get someone who can around in very short time.
While ambulance and fire trucks can reach my home in ten to fifteen minutes depending on travel conditions the police force that answers 911 calls is a good half hour away. That is not a short time if you are the one being assaulted.
I realize most UK citizens are quite content with your gun laws and don't expect to ever change any opinion on the subject.
On the other hand I was raised to be proud of my ability to defend myself and my community when needed and would be embarrassed in the extreme if I had to cower in a corner and wait for the cops to come bail me out.
Agree to disagree as it were.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukunir wrote:
there are many ways how to minimize these negative human-wildlife encounters by respecting natural needs of both worlds.

Yes.

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Livestock farming is marginal in most places in the UK at the moment and it is only the subsidies which keep most livestock farmers going.

CAP reform to encourage organic tillage and compensate any livestock farmers who wind up their business. Re-introduce wildlife. Partial utopia. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: