PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Zing Reply with quote

Behold, Part 2 of Zing~The incredibly Light Railway is published:

http://biffvernon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/zing-incredibly-light-railway-part-2.html
fuzzy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good try. I am not optimistic that bicycle use will increase hugely when fossil fuels are scarce. They only had limited appeal in their hayday <1970
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fuzzy. Bikes aren't the central part of this proposal but what we need to do is envision the transport systems in a post-carbon world. If we don't greatly increase the rail network then we need to convert all the cars and buses to electric. That's imaginable but my argument is that in a resource constrained economy the ultra-light railways are a cheaper alternative.

As with petrol cars, so with electric cars, once you have one and paid the capital costs, it's often cheaper and easier to use it than use public transport. The trick is to shift the balance in favour of public transport by creating a network of sufficient density, frequency, reliability and speed so that it's worthwhile foregoing the freedom and convenience of a private car.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Fuzzy - a solid effort.

In addition to light rail, what about running electric trollybuses? I would have thought these would come in handy where laying rail could be problematic.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric trollybuses? Well that was a plan in the early 20th century when batteries had a low energy density and motors were not very efficient.

In my blog I linked to a few electric buses with batteries and induction charging from Milton Keynes to South Korea via the Netherlands and Germany.

http://biffvernon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/zing-incredibly-light-railway-part-2.html
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
A good try. I am not optimistic that bicycle use will increase hugely when fossil fuels are scarce. They only had limited appeal in their hayday <1970

But that's without proper infrastructure. If the bike was taken seriously, lanes would be separate from others, have absolute priority over powered vehicles when they coincide, more secure, covered areas would be available for parking, more towns would be pedestrianised/cycle-ised, more on-street hire would be available, showers and changing facilities at work would be the norm, etc etc etc with all the other simple, cheap ideas that people suggest.

For those that are able, cycling can be a joy, especially when cyclists are properly catered for.

Yes, there are many who wouldn't be seen dead on a bike. They must have their power vehicles severely restricted.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="emordnilap"]
fuzzy wrote:

But that's without proper infrastructure. If the bike was taken seriously, lanes would be separate from others, have absolute priority over powered vehicles when they coincide, more secure, covered areas would be available for parking, more towns would be pedestrianised/cycle-ised, more on-street hire would be available, showers and changing facilities at work would be the norm, etc etc etc with all the other simple, cheap ideas that people suggest.

Or perhaps the current fashion of always smelling fresh from the shower every hour of every day will pass away. And those that smell like they pedaled into work will be the ones that are considered proper.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
fuzzy wrote:

For those that are able, cycling can be a joy, especially when cyclists are properly catered for.

Yes, there are many who wouldn't be seen dead on a bike. They must have their power vehicles severely restricted.

If..well yes..
I expect the future to be one of declining road standards and ever more oversize vehicles until there is no fuel. I have been riding bikes on roads for ~40 years. In truth they are only convenient for most people over flattish walkable distances.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the next episode of Zing is available. Perhaps of greatest interest to aficionados a particular corner of Lincolnshire, but the lessons learnt are applicable more generally.

http://biffvernon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/zing-incredibly-light-railway-part-3.html
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
fuzzy wrote:

If..well yes..
I expect the future to be one of declining road standards and ever more oversize vehicles until there is no fuel. I have been riding bikes on roads for ~40 years. In truth they are only convenient for most people over flattish walkable distances.

And once there's no fuel? Laughing

There's also the imperative of getting people to move nearer to work or move the work nearer people. Some kind of tax incentive? Also a switch away from out-of-town retail to more local shops. Lots to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: