PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme prep ? nuclear bunker.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I spent many years being ready for WW3.

Totally pointless of course : it turned out that 8 warheads would wipe out the UK ... but the Russians had allocated 200.

The only benefit of all that worry and expense was when my wife severely burned herself on holiday.

Our car WW3 kit had professional burn treatment included which I used and then drove at 135 mph to Truro hospital ... where 40 minutes later we jumped the A&E queue only to be told that we had done what they would have done.

My wife had zero infection or scaring because of the very rapid treatment.

A nuclear bunker is a stupid waste of money and effort.

Much more useful is to prepare for PROBABLE issues such as long duration power cuts, dead comms and food, mains water & fuel shortages.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

The facility is intended for disasters in general, not just fallout. Air raids with conventional bombs, tornados, civil unrest, plagues, chemical attack, invasion etc.

If any of these happen the bunker occupants just die a week or so later than the townies.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Much more useful is to prepare for PROBABLE issues such as long duration power cuts, dead comms and food, mains water & fuel shortages.

I'm often surprised at how unprepared people are, for just a few days basic disruption. Unless you are really living hand to mouth in a tiny bedsit, it really is easy for everyone to have enough basic provision on hand to be able to hunker down for a week or two in event of the above.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:

I'm often surprised at how unprepared people are, for just a few days basic disruption. Unless you are really living hand to mouth in a tiny bedsit, it really is easy for everyone to have enough basic provision on hand to be able to hunker down for a week or two in event of the above.

Like they old saying goes, if two guys meet a grizzly on a cliff path, the one with the decent shoes survives. He only has to outrun his mate and NOT the bear.

The same applies in a crisis : if you are well fed, clean and shaved say three weeks into a mega crisis, YOU will be the ones the troops etc will relate to if/when they arrive .. not the starving crazed masses.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that what was once run of the mill, "everyone knows how to make it a week or three without trouble", has become an exercise in study and thought.

Are those of us who are older really the only ones who remember what the world was like before the net? Before the most basic things seem to have been forgotten and turned into exercises that need to be studied and planned and worried about?
boisdevie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm often surprised at how unprepared people are, for just a few days basic disruption"

I'm not. I expect most people to be stupid and I'm rarely disappointed.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's surprising how lessons learned early remain into older age. My daughter watched me kill a rabbit and prepare it for the pot when she was about 4 years old. Soon after that rabbit was forced off the menu by peer pressure at school (You're not going to eat my pet rabbit are you?)

Many years later she is now teaching Air Cadets survival training so she gives them a bunny in its coat to skin and cook for their dinner. I think that they are taught how to make a snare but they have yet to actually catch and gut one. They have, however, woven willow traps to catch signal crayfish in the local river and canal and cooked and eaten their catch. Good to eat they were too.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boisdevie wrote:
"I'm often surprised at how unprepared people are, for just a few days basic disruption"

I'm not. I expect most people to be stupid and I'm rarely disappointed.

Well sure. But I was raised on the farm, and didn't begin meeting these kinds of folks until I settled down in a city.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I suggested on Facebook that people ought to have a stash of food in case of any emergency when it was being suggested that the NHS and other businesses were stockpiling for Brexit I got a verbal lashing for suggesting that such a thing was sensible and that a lot of poor people couldn't afford to do it so no one should have to do it! Brexit warps some people's minds!
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> I got a verbal lashing for suggesting that such a thing was sensible

The SJWs and the local council will seize anything that you stash .. "national emergency ...think of the babies & children"
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SJWs and the local council will seize anything that you stash .. "national emergency ...think of the babies & children"
boisdevie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:

Only if they know you have a stash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: