PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corbyn Trains
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Corbyn Trains Reply with quote

An integrated publicly owned railway network? What a splendid notion.
http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/jeremy_for_public_railways
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aka "Bring back British Rail."
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:

Otherwise stated as: "parasitical shareholders go f*** yourselves."

Yes please.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
johnhemming2 wrote:

Yes please.

In other words you are more concerned about whether shareholders make any profit or not than the quality or price of the service to the passengers.

That is a rational position to take, but as a regular passenger I am more concerned about the quality and price of the service.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
johnhemming2 wrote:

Yes please.

In other words you are more concerned about whether shareholders make any profit or not than the quality or price of the service to the passengers.

That is a rational position to take, but as a regular passenger I am more concerned about the quality and price of the service.

Corbyn's argument is that "natural monopolies" should not be in private hands. I agree with it.

I also see no reason why the quality and price or the service should be lower in private hands. Perhaps a better example are the energy companies. Does private ownership lead to a better deal for the consumer? Anyone who thinks so is bonkers, IMO. Those companies act in the best interests of their shareholders. The consumers are ripped off as efficiently as possible, by all of them.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a better example are the energy companies. Does private ownership lead to a better deal for the consumer? Anyone who thinks so is bonkers, IMO.

Well. Let us take this statement. Energy is a pretty definable commodity.

The question, therefore, is what UK consumers pay compared for example to those across the rest of Europe.

You are welcome to have an opinion, but do you have any facts to justify your case implicitly that UK consumers pay more than consumers across the EU.

I can do a bit of research myself, but I would be interested in your answers to this.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:

No, you are again making the error that we would be going back to something that happened in the past. n That's not the way in which time's arrow works. The planned public ownership of the railways does not involve a repetition of of what does not work well.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbyn's argument is that "natural monopolies" should not be in private hands. I agree with it.

The error in this is to assume that politicians are so much better at managing services that they can produce a better return on capital than private sector managers.

There does need to be a form of competition. For example as far as buses are concerned I would like to have sector tendering. However, my personal view having been an elected official for 25 years from 1990-2015 is that politicians are not that good at managing things. I have been a private sector manager since 1983 and continue to be one.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
The planned public ownership of the railways does not involve a repetition of of what does not work well.

What is the difference?
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:

The error in this is to assume that politicians are so much better at managing services that they can produce a better return on capital than private sector managers.

Nope. That is not my assumption. The railways shouldn't be run by politicians. They should be run by people who know how to run railways, and the assumption is that people who know how to run railways can run them just as efficiently without parasitical shareholders being part of the equation as they can with the parasites in place.

Please explain to me how the parasites can possibly help matters.

Quote:

There does need to be a form of competition.

Why?
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
biffvernon wrote:
The planned public ownership of the railways does not involve a repetition of of what does not work well.

What is the difference?

2015 is not 1975?
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Why?

In the end someone has to control things. There are lots of ways of doing this. Private organisations are controlled by the owners limited by the law. Public organisations are in the end controlled by elected representativesl.

If you have private owners there needs to be some form of competition to avoid them abusing monopoly control. That is "why".

Historically state managed bodies have had much higher costs than privately managed bodies.

That is the merit of private sector managment.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
Quote:

Why?

In the end someone has to control things. There are lots of ways of doing this. Private organisations are controlled by the owners limited by the law. Public organisations are in the end controlled by elected representatives.

Well, only in the sense that elected representatives have responsibility for appointing the people at the very top of the public organisations. That is not the same thing as "politicians running railways". Rather obviously, railways should be run by people who understand how railways should be run, which isn't likely to be politicians. The job of the politicians is to appoint such people. But politicians, in office, do that all the time, don't they?

Quote:

If you have private owners there needs to be some form of competition to avoid them abusing monopoly control. That is "why".

Firstly, why would a publicly owned railways "abuse monopoly control"? Abuse it in what sense? "Monopoly abuse" is something that exclusively happens when the monopoly is in private hands. If it is publicly owned, there is no point in abusing the monopoly.

Secondly, as the example of the energy companies shows all too clearly, private ownership is no obstacle to the sort of abuse associated with private monopolies. There is no real competition in the energy market, as has been pointed out on numerous occasions by numerous people of varied political persuasion.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
Quote:

Why?

In the end someone has to control things. There are lots of ways of doing this. Private organisations are controlled by the owners limited by the law. Public organisations are in the end controlled by elected representativesl.

Historically state managed bodies have had much higher costs than privately managed bodies.

That is the merit of private sector managment.
Evidence for this vis a vis the railways?
Catweazle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that nationalisation of the railways ( and other industries ) is falling into a trap set long ago.

When they were sold off, and systematically raped, there was always the understanding that once they were totally screwed then a naive government would nationalise them and cop the debts and then the blame when they collapsed completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: