PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-metre ice loss on decadal timescale - Hanson
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Multi-metre ice loss on decadal timescale - Hanson Reply with quote

James Hanson says this in an article on his latest paper. In a comment in the article he says

Quote:
My conclusion, based on the total information available, is that continued high emissions would result in multi-meter sea level rise this century and lock in continued ice sheet disintegration such that building cities or rebuilding cities on coast lines would become foolish.

This comment and his paper are the result of the scrutiny of over 300 separate research papers as well as his own observations into new methods of ice loss.

A further quote mentions decadal time scales for the collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet.

Quote:
For example, a recent ice sheet model sensitivity study finds that incorporating the physical processes of hydrofracturing of ice and ice cliff failure increases their calculated sea level rise from 2 meters to 17 meters and reduces the potential time for West Antarctic collapse to decadal time scales.

This will be a significant drive of mass migration both internally and internationally in the near future.

Last edited by kenneal - lagger on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handy things, those multi-meters, but mine doesn't measure ice thickness.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Two great nation separated by a common language!"

That's what comes of cutting and pasting without paying attention to what is be manipulated.

I will amend the heading to "metre"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thoughts perhaps I should leave it as it is a direct quote to show that even great people have their frailties.

No! Changed it is.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once called me a 'grammar nazi'. I had to point out that conventionally, the 'n' is capitalised.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also forgotten the "s" on the end of Nation!

It's a shame that there is more discussion of the grammar than the article though. Perhaps people are reading the papers still before commenting. Or maybe they're in shock over the content?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read most of Hansen's latest paper. Whilst it may be described as the 'latest' research that absolutely shouldn't be taken to mean the best, or the research with most likely projections, the most informative or than prior publications have been usurped in any way.

It's an interesting discussion article - likely to be revised before publication (I've serious misgivings of Hansen's team heavily publicising this work before peer-review) but it should be seen for the outlier it is with its claims not fully supported by the supplied evidence IMO.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there always can be discontinuities. The key, of course, is timely measurement of changes. This is probably happening, but I am not sure.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Someone once called me a 'grammar nazi'. I had to point out that conventionally, the 'n' is capitalised.

That's very funny Laughing
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I've read most of Hansen's latest paper.

Correct me if I'm worng, but when Ken quoted:
Quote:
For example, a recent ice sheet model sensitivity study finds that incorporating the physical processes of hydrofracturing of ice and ice cliff failure increases their calculated sea level rise from 2 meters to 17 meters and reduces the potential time for West Antarctic collapse to decadal time scales.
this was not from the discussion paper but from an article in the Huffington Post. There is no mention of the 17m figure in Hansen et al and even in the Huff Post article Hansen is only quoting somebody else (who he doesn't name?).

And anyway, from 2 metres to 17, could mean 2.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:

I've used that term before so you might be referring to me. If in the middle of a discussion the capitalization of Nazi becomes the most important thing to you ,you should turn off your computer and go to bed.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:

And anyway, from 2 metres to 17, could mean 2.

And, of course, we are bound to achieve the 2 deg C warming limit!

Who's an optimist all of a sudden!
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you well know, I'm on the doomer end of the spectrum, but I'm not at the looney end.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
emordnilap wrote:

I've used that term before so you might be referring to me. If in the middle of a discussion the capitalization of Nazi becomes the most important thing to you ,you should turn off your computer and go to bed.

It's true, USonians don't get irony.
tpals

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
emordnilap wrote:

It's true, USonians don't get irony.

I got it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: