PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What guns to buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
Thanks VT, you guys tell me stuff I could never experience over here. I have never wanted guns to be widespread in the UK in my life so far, but I increasingly think they make sense under some different situations - food shortages etc.

I have considered some cheap antique spring rabbit traps [illegal too], that could be reinstated... any thoughts?

Your just as apt to catch and hurt the neighbors cat as a rabbit so I'd leave those hung up on a wall for show. If the rules allow you to own a shotgun without too much fuss I'd have one for sure. Birds , rabbits Deer and self defense all in one weapon just by changing the ammo loaded.
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
jonny2mad wrote:
long term in complete collapse blackpowder has some advantages, ammunition is lower tech .

A boxed blackpowder revolver like a adams colt or trantor or say a flintlock set of dueling pistols will still fire and could still fire in a thousand years.

They are beautiful, one of my best friends deals in high end guns in the uk and I have gone with him to gun shows, and a lot of these guns are just really lovely .

A original kentucky longrifle or a whitworth sniper rifle will still fire, the whitworth at amazing distances. I was talking to my friend when we drove to the last gun show and said I liked the whitworth and he said funny you said that I have one in the boot for sale, I ended up buying a colt revolver at the show but the whitworth is a brilliant old rifle

Getting reliable ignition with a flintlock is a skill that takes a lot of practice. A percussion cap rifle or revolver is quite an improvement but still needs practice to get it to go off when needed. And then you are dependent on a supply of percussion caps. They are cheap and easy to come by now but you would not want to try making your own in a survival situation. As 22 long rifles are also cheap and store well that would be my end of the world stockpile. I've got 500 or so kicking around here somewhere. Might lay in a case or two the next time the gun panic dies down here.

I'm pretty sure you could come up with a better form of ignition than flintlock that fired blackpowder, Ive seen people who made electroignition systems . black powder has disadvantages smoke for example, but its not hard to make in a survival situation . you do have people who make their own percussion caps and black powder partly for fun and also because they think they can do it cheaply .

personally I find that sort of gun just interesting but I like antiques generally . I like knowing how things are made

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny2mad wrote:

personally I find that sort of gun just interesting but I like antiques generally . I like knowing how things are made

Likewise. I've put together a flintlock smooth bore replica kit. That is how I know how difficult it is to get your flint both sharp and clamped correctly to get good spark etc. I also hunt with a 58 caliber Civil war replica Zouave rifle that I have harvested a few deer with but have had more then my share of misfires in wet weather.
Fun to have and a lot better then nothing but I will still rely on center fire modern weapons when push comes to shove.
MrG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What guns to buy? Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
She was concerned that as empty nester's which both worked, the house was unoccupied much of the day and burglaries to support opiate habits are becoming more frequent and very local.

Hang on just a minute... Your concern is that the house will be empty all day and your solution is to buy some guns? These are self firing guns perhaps?

Sounds like you need some of these!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What guns to buy? Reply with quote

MrG wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
She was concerned that as empty nester's which both worked, the house was unoccupied much of the day and burglaries to support opiate habits are becoming more frequent and very local.

Hang on just a minute... Your concern is that the house will be empty all day and your solution is to buy some guns? These are self firing guns perhaps?

Get some dogs. No good against guns but their barking gets rid of most burglars. The other option is to get CCTV and pass the details to your local police force or local thug to sort things out
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What guns to buy? Reply with quote

MrG wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

Even I wont go that far. Laughing
I already have guns. I bought a safe to keep them secure when I'm not around but have room for a few more and gun enthusiasts like myself never have enough guns.
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35668626?SThisFB scotland bringing in licence for airguns, I imagine the same thing will be rolled out over the rest of the uk later on .

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny2mad wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35668626?SThisFB scotland bringing in licence for airguns, I imagine the same thing will be rolled out over the rest of the uk later on .

They will be registering and confiscating little boys slingshots and toy swords next.
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old mother used to say " jonny day will come when a poor working man will be at his table and the police will break in and take his cutlery and leave him with a plastic spork"

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool A bit of an update. The day I bought the gun safe I brought it home and off loaded it behind the house and covered it over it's cardboard box with a plastic tarp and let it sit as SWMBO had admonished me to not try to get it up to the second floor without professional help. Not taking direction well and having other work to do I just let it sit there ten feet behind the house and some thirty feet from it's final destination. Months pass and she is at work and I have finally nothing better to do so today I tackle the problem.
Take the snow plow off the tractor and put the bucket on, take the windows out of their channels to make a hole to set it in. Find that in three months the legs of the safe have sunk into the ground and are frozen in. deploy numerous kettles of hot water and a screwdriver used as an ice pick to free the legs up. Waggle the safe into the bucket faced the right way and tie it in place with a ratchet strap low and a half inch rope high. The safe is wider then the free face of the bucket so two legs are out in mid air. Carefully in the slowest range of the tractor maneuver to the point where I can raise the safe up to the window. Find that the loader doesn't have quite enough reach.
Untie the rope and ratchet strap. Try to pull the top of of the safe into the window. Not strong enough to do it. look it over carefully, see where the front legs are binding against my efforts. Back down to the tractor seat, curl the bucket up tipping the safe further into the window opening. back upstairs to try to pull it in. Not there yet so back down and curl the bucket more and move the tractor ahead another four inches. Back upstairs and now I have it inside but upside down. The door comes open and I find that upside down the door comes off easily if it is open. (would have been nice to know). Take a beer brake I've earned it. Get it flipped right side up and where She wants it then have quite a time getting the door back on, ending up using encyclopedias to hold up the door while I align both hinge pins. Get that done finally then install the shelving that came with it then head off to a buddies for beer and darts. All in all a good afternoon.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that in the digital age an encyclopaedia still has its uses.
careful_eugene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Cool A bit of an update. The day I bought the gun safe I brought it home and off loaded it behind the house and covered it over it's cardboard box with a plastic tarp and let it sit as SWMBO had admonished me to not try to get it up to the second floor without professional help. Not taking direction well and having other work to do I just let it sit there ten feet behind the house and some thirty feet from it's final destination. Months pass and she is at work and I have finally nothing better to do so today I tackle the problem.
Take the snow plow off the tractor and put the bucket on, take the windows out of their channels to make a hole to set it in. Find that in three months the legs of the safe have sunk into the ground and are frozen in. deploy numerous kettles of hot water and a screwdriver used as an ice pick to free the legs up. Waggle the safe into the bucket faced the right way and tie it in place with a ratchet strap low and a half inch rope high. The safe is wider then the free face of the bucket so two legs are out in mid air. Carefully in the slowest range of the tractor maneuver to the point where I can raise the safe up to the window. Find that the loader doesn't have quite enough reach.
Untie the rope and ratchet strap. Try to pull the top of of the safe into the window. Not strong enough to do it. look it over carefully, see where the front legs are binding against my efforts. Back down to the tractor seat, curl the bucket up tipping the safe further into the window opening. back upstairs to try to pull it in. Not there yet so back down and curl the bucket more and move the tractor ahead another four inches. Back upstairs and now I have it inside but upside down. The door comes open and I find that upside down the door comes off easily if it is open. (would have been nice to know). Take a beer brake I've earned it. Get it flipped right side up and where She wants it then have quite a time getting the door back on, ending up using encyclopedias to hold up the door while I align both hinge pins. Get that done finally then install the shelving that came with it then head off to a buddies for beer and darts. All in all a good afternoon.

You should have put this on youtube.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Good to know that in the digital age an encyclopaedia still has its uses.
Of course we bought the set when the girls were in school and now they are quite dated when it comes to details about modern countries but everything in them about people and events prior to 1990 are just as true today as they were then. Over the years I've read more of them then the girls ever did. Some of the Macro pedia articles make pretty good reading.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful_eugene wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

You should have put this on youtube.

Nah it would have been two hours long and I didn't drop it or do anything funnier then go in and out of the house a dozen times. I don't ever want to be the subject of a funny redneck fails video. Wink
Snail

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone reminded me today: if in Scotland, don't buy an air rifle as you need a license from December. Rolling Eyes And the licensing will be similar/identical to a firearm. Rolling Eyes
---edit-- ah, I see j2m already mentioned this Rolling Eyes Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: