PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What guns to buy? and related posts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Catweazle wrote:
https://www.reference.com/world-view/many-people-murdered-day-united-states-4ce42c4182d89232

"In 2018, there were 16,214 murders in the United States. That statistic breaks down to five homicides per 100,000 in population that year. If you divide the total number of murders by 365 days, the number of days in a year, you discover that the U.S. experienced 44.42 murders per day, which means about 44 people were murdered each day in the U.S.
States with the Highest Murder Rates and Totals
The states with the highest murder rates per 1,000 in population in 2018 were Louisiana with 11.4 murders per thousand, Missouri, with 9.2 murders per thousand, Alaska with 8.2 murders per thousand, Maryland, with 8.1 murders per thousand, New Mexico with 8.0 murders per thousand, Alabama, with 7.8 murders per thousand, South Carolina with 7.7 murders per thousand, and Tennessee, with 7.4 murders per thousand. Arkansas and Illinois round out the top 10 with 7.2 and 6.9 per thousand, respectively."[/url]

Those look like, forgive me if I'm wrong, more rural areas to me. Not exactly hives of drug dealing and gang warfare but home to friendly, law abiding, gun toting Americans!

Vermont had eleven murders last year just two by gun for a gun murder rate of 0.3/100000 contrast that to 110 non suicide drug over dose deaths and sixty average highway deaths a year. So we have as much problem with drugs as the cities but less gun crime. Being 98 percent white and older then average has something to do with it.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:

Vortex2 wrote:

That said, in the 1980s I once helped an associate move 30+ (legal!) sub machine guns from one car boot to another in the car park of a major London hotel. (It's a long story ... I worked for a while in an 'interesting' field)

Was that legal back then?

For some, yes.

I was vetted by the Ministry Of Defence before I could operate in the armaments business.

Once you have that clearance you can easily get a police licence to buy machine guns, explosives etc.

Weapons are a huge - but hidden - part of the UK economy. It's a real & established business sector involving huge numbers of people and many firms ... but it operates in the shadows.

The same applies to the UK security services. The TV shows suggest that we have maybe 25 spooks operating from a fantastic bunker in London with amazing satellites and drones. In reality there are huge numbers working for the security services.

FWIW everyone I have met in both sectors has been amazingly nice, friendly and helpful .. although I wouldn't like to be their enemy!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
you need to make up for how silly your idea of claiming El Salvador was all globally peaceful and whatnot, rather than what it just demonstrated.

I don't know who your usual audiences are, but the strawman stuff won't fool many people on this forum, no matter how many times you try.

Looks like RGR doesn't do irony, Catweazle!!
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Catweazle wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
you need to make up for how silly your idea of claiming El Salvador was all globally peaceful and whatnot, rather than what it just demonstrated.

I don't know who your usual audiences are, but the strawman stuff won't fool many people on this forum, no matter how many times you try.

Looks like RGR doesn't do irony, Catweazle!!

It is my experience that irony, sarcasm, any of the finer traits of communication are lost in the written social media world.

Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
If I were doing videos it would be easier to see the rolling of eyes, the sneer when a congratulatory comment is made.

Don't worry, I can visualise it just fine.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
If I were doing videos it would be easier to see the rolling of eyes, the sneer when a congratulatory comment is made.

Don't worry, I can visualise it just fine.

Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all can visualize the smirk or smear behind much of what you type, RGR. Or is it just "two great nation's separated by a common language."
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all can visualize the smirk or snear behind much of what you type, RGR. Or is it just "two great nation's separated by a common language."
Catweazle

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
"two great nation's separated by a common language."

And a couple percentage points IQ.

[smirk]
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:

[smirk]

...and an order of magnitude in the exceptionalism department as well! Smile

Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Catweazle

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
Catweazle wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:

[smirk]

...and an order of magnitude in the exceptionalism department as well! Smile

But on the gun topic Cat, I don't recall you chiming in on the 200 round limit mentioned by others. Is that a law or restriction you are subject to?

We have limits except for shotgun ammunition. Reloading components aren't limited either.

My personal limits are 250 of .308 and 600 of each rimfire.

250 is plenty for a weekend away with .308, and the 600 rimfire limit allows me to buy 500rd "bean cans" of 22LR. I rarely have more than a couple of hundred 17HMR, I don't use it as much as the .22 and it's much more expensive to feed.

I mentioned "conditions" for different guns, one of which is concerning which vermin is allowable for which calibre. My local force does not consider 22LR suitable for fox, but allows the 17HMR and upwards.

I've killed fox humanely at 150yds with the HMR, but prefer to be at less than 100yds. It's adequate for me.

In the UK a popular calibre for longer range fox is 22-250, very useful, and also .204 Ruger which takes realistic ranges out to 400yds+
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:

In the UK a popular calibre for longer range fox is 22-250, very useful, and also .204 Ruger which takes realistic ranges out to 400yds+

It takes a very good gun/scope/ammo combination and a very steady hand to hit a fox at 400 yards. It would take me a lot of gearing up and practice before I would even attempt it.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Catweazle wrote:

It takes a very good gun/scope/ammo combination and a very steady hand to hit a fox at 400 yards. It would take me a lot of gearing up and practice before I would even attempt it.

Same here, but there are people who can do it. The 204 Ruger is pretty special.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Catweazle wrote:

Same here, but there are people who can do it. The 204 Ruger is pretty special.
I've seen some of the write ups about it but not one in action. If a good barrel is bedded properly with a good scope mounted as it should be that low recoil round should let you shoot the wings off of flies at 100 yards but out at 400yds the wind gets a vote. I remember a farmer in North Dakota telling me his 22-250 was good for foxes as a fox would see the muzzle flash from a 30-06 and could dodge the bullet successfully but the 22-250 got their quicker then the foxes reflexes could accomplish.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:

My personal limits are 250 of .308 and 600 of each rimfire.

Personal limits meaning that is enough for personal use, or any more and you face arrest and possible imprisonment?

Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: