PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What guns to buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5223
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
When you say "the game's afoot" V, I am bound to say, that all sounds like a bit of an attempt at a gentrifying euphemism, to be honest. It's not really a "game" is it.

A "game" would imply that there was some kind of "fair play" involved. There isn't. You have a gun and a deer is going to die from it. That's it. I am not saying you shouldn't hunt, by the way, if the animals are plentiful and you want meat to eat. It's no different to the meat I eat from the supermarket after all.

But, let just call a spade a spade shall we?
They are plentiful to the point of being an economic drain to the landowner eating ten percent of her crops. In spite of our best efforts hunting will not kill ten percent of the herd they have there so any one deer has a pretty good chance. And remember there are no retirement villages or nursing homes for old deer.
But you are right it is not a game. It is much more serious then that. That humans, for now at least, have other means of procuring food changes our side of it but for the deer it is just as it has always been with perhaps a good clean gunshot being the best way they have ever had to check out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 6793
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's fair enough
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Catweazle



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 2209
Location: Little England, over the hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough indeed, although I'd question the wisdom of taking a deer "on the run", especially when there are clearly many others and you're not hungry. I own a .308, so I'm quite aware of the stopping power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5223
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
Fair enough indeed, although I'd question the wisdom of taking a deer "on the run", especially when there are clearly many others and you're not hungry. I own a .308, so I'm quite aware of the stopping power.

I was doing a bit of bragging there as that is the most difficult shot I have ever made. It is shotguns only where we were hunting so my Ruger 7x57 was at home and I was using a Winchester 120 pump with a slug smooth bore barrel. The accuracy of Foster slugs in such weapons fades off real fast after fifty yards. I probably could not repeat it one time in ten without more practice then can be had. But if you always wait for the perfect standing shot you will go home empty handed more times then not. The doe I shot later that day was at ten yards ambling by. No skill at all just harvesting meat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5223
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the news today a passing motorist used his personal firearm to save the life of a State Trooper who had been shot by an ambush er.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ambushed-arizona-trooper-saved-passing-motorist-who-shot-attacker-dead-n706381
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 11132
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that this one officer was saved but how many people have died because a nutter has been able to easily get hold of a gun? How many people have died because a child was playing with a legally held gun? One saved, how many killed?
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 3969

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Ken, don't shatter vt's dreamworld.
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 3969

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Well the youth hunter ended up hunting elsewhere. No word on any success.
I hunted in Maryland this last weekend with family and friends. We harvested twelve deer in two days including this buck I shot on the run at 105 paces.
He was the third largest of the seven bucks harvested.


And when you "harvested" them, did they just happen to be in an unlucky (for them) position, or were they selected because all the others were more healthy?
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 11132
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was selected on which animal was the least shy of humans. At that rate over time he will never see a deer to shoot because they will all be hiding away somewhere.
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5223
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
[And when you "harvested" them, did they just happen to be in an unlucky (for them) position, or were they selected because all the others were more healthy?

The deer herd there is in overshoot and is being deliberately thinned through regular season hunting and crop damage permits. My license allowed me one buck and up to ten does. I took one of each. They do try to be selective about which bucks to shoot and which to let grow and breed but at full speed and a hundred paces all I could ascertain was that he was a nice buck which met my personnel requirements. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5223
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
It was selected on which animal was the least shy of humans. At that rate over time he will never see a deer to shoot because they will all be hiding away somewhere.

Except in parks where hunting is never allowed deer are quite wary of humans that are out of a vehicle. They will stand and watch you work with a tractor as long as you keep the engine running. During the fall hunting seasons the bucks sense the intrusions of humans into their bedding areas as they set up stands and scout out deer trails and become quite nocturnal and cautious. Does on the other hand seem to understand that it is bucks only in some seasons and are much more relaxed then the bucks. Archery seasons have changed that quite a bit in recent years.
At any rate I have shot the stupid deer for decades and am now left with a population that all have PHDs in avoiding me while leaving tracks in my lawn every night. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonny2mad



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 2449
Location: weston super mare

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I remembered being at my grandfather's funeral and my grandmother and aunts were making sandwiches and I was 10 and most of my uncles and my dad had been in ww2 and not sure how but they said go and talk to your grandmother about guns I might have asked how they work.

So I went and my grandmother and aunts explained to me how to make machine guns how they worked they talked about making other weapons too .

This would be a really odd thing to happen now but they had spent the war making stens and brens in little workshops mainly by hand. my grandmothers dead but one aunt is still alive.

This is one reason I laugh when I hear people say the uk is unarmed we made 5 million plus stens in world war two, The reason we are not armed is because we are peaceful and there isnt a reason to be armed
_________________
"What causes more suffering in the world than the stupidity of the compassionate?"Friedrich Nietzsche

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5223
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny2mad wrote:
Recently I remembered being at my grandfather's funeral and my grandmother and aunts were making sandwiches and I was 10 and most of my uncles and my dad had been in ww2 and not sure how but they said go and talk to your grandmother about guns I might have asked how they work.

So I went and my grandmother and aunts explained to me how to make machine guns how they worked they talked about making other weapons too .

This would be a really odd thing to happen now but they had spent the war making stens and brens in little workshops mainly by hand. my grandmothers dead but one aunt is still alive.

This is one reason I laugh when I hear people say the uk is unarmed we made 5 million plus stens in world war two, The reason we are not armed is because we are peaceful and there isnt a reason to be armed

That's OK JTM I'm happy with my guns in hand and not having to wait for the factory workers to figure out how to start making them.The millennial's think it's an app they can download into their phones. Five million Stens in five years spread over 48 million people so one for every ten people and all those in the armies hands? The USA has a bit more then one each in private hands plus the military is well supplied. I like my position better then yours but you are welcome to your position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emordnilap



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 14525
Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is just plain wrong. No ifs, buts or any form of justification whatsoever. No excuses, no mercy: the perpetrators need to have their lives ruined.

Quote:
A rhinoceros at a zoo near Paris was shot three times in the head on Monday night by poachers who then cut off its horn with a chainsaw.

The four-year-old rhinoceros, named Vince, was found dead by keepers at Thoiry Zoo, to the west of the French capital.

One or more poachers are believed to have broken in to the zoo and forced their way into an enclosure where three rhinos lived, reported Le Parisien.

The white rhinoceros's second horn had also been partially hacked off, indicating the perpetrators had run out of time or their equipment had failed.A rhinoceros at a zoo near Paris was shot three times in the head on Monday night by poachers who then cut off its horn with a chainsaw.

The four-year-old rhinoceros, named Vince, was found dead by keepers at Thoiry Zoo, to the west of the French capital.

One or more poachers are believed to have broken in to the zoo and forced their way into an enclosure where three rhinos lived, reported Le Parisien.

_________________
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5223
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Now this is just plain wrong. No ifs, buts or any form of justification whatsoever. No excuses, no mercy: the perpetrators need to have their lives ruined.

Quote:
A rhinoceros at a zoo near Paris was shot three times in the head on Monday night by poachers who then cut off its horn with a chainsaw.

The four-year-old rhinoceros, named Vince, was found dead by keepers at Thoiry Zoo, to the west of the French capital.

One or more poachers are believed to have broken in to the zoo and forced their way into an enclosure where three rhinos lived, reported Le Parisien.

The white rhinoceros's second horn had also been partially hacked off, indicating the perpetrators had run out of time or their equipment had failed.A rhinoceros at a zoo near Paris was shot three times in the head on Monday night by poachers who then cut off its horn with a chainsaw.

The four-year-old rhinoceros, named Vince, was found dead by keepers at Thoiry Zoo, to the west of the French capital.

One or more poachers are believed to have broken in to the zoo and forced their way into an enclosure where three rhinos lived, reported Le Parisien.

I agree!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group