PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seriously considering relocating to the Highlands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Seriously considering relocating to the Highlands Reply with quote

We are seriously thinking about leaving south-east England in a couple of years, and relocating to Argyll. We could sell our very ordinary house here with its rather small garden and buy a 7 bedroom B&B with 5 acres of land. Anyone know the area around Oban/Lochgilphead?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant offer any specific knowledge of the area, but subject to any serious drawbacks of which I am unaware, this sounds a good idea.

Growing concerns regarding the environmental costs of flying suggests a greater demand for holidays within the UK, so a bed and breakfast will hopefully prove profitable.

Moving from a high population density to a low population density sounds a wise move in case TSHTF.
Running a b+b is an excellent way of making "stealth preps" such as large stocks of food, bedding, fuel, and household equipment in general.

5 acres sounds like a large gardening operation or even a smallholding.

How about naming the operation "WHITECROSS"
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be selling in a few years - I'd be selling and buying now even if you stick it out in your job in, Hastings i believe it is, for the time being.

Reasons to go now...

- Possible Scottish independence and consequent banning of Sassenach immigration.
- Brexit collapse or consequences of Middle East mayhem.
- I could think of a few others in time.

And a few reasons not to go...

- I was told by a fellow holidaymaker when on holiday in that general area of a large, drunken, ginger haired, kilt-wearing Scotsman in a pub calling the English the "Scum of the earth".
- The Highland Midge. This critter can make camping life a misery but apparently does not enter buildings.

I suspect the aforementioned Scotsman is long dead of cirrhosis or diabetes and midges can be controlled by chemicals or behaviour so the reasons to go would be rather compelling.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if you knew if you are a mossy/midge magnet. Some people attract, others don't. It's in your DNA. If you are - move to an island or the Marches.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Cant offer any specific knowledge of the area, but subject to any serious drawbacks of which I am unaware, this sounds a good idea.

Growing concerns regarding the environmental costs of flying suggests a greater demand for holidays within the UK, so a bed and breakfast will hopefully prove profitable.

Moving from a high population density to a low population density sounds a wise move in case TSHTF.
Running a b+b is an excellent way of making "stealth preps" such as large stocks of food, bedding, fuel, and household equipment in general.

5 acres sounds like a large gardening operation or even a smallholding.

Whitecross?
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine considered doing the same. We reviewed a several acre B+B potential purchase for sustainability, grid independence, etc. He decided against it, I think because of the social isolation of leaving his friends behind.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, made a similar move myself... Though without a property to sell couldn't take advantage of relative price differences so we self built.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
adam2 wrote:

Whitecross?

Left as an exercise for the reader.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife's family is from Argyll , Tarbert to be exact , so not a million miles away . What sort of questions were you thinking of?
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
Friend of mine considered doing the same. We reviewed a several acre B+B potential purchase for sustainability, grid independence, etc. He decided against it, I think because of the social isolation of leaving his friends behind.

That doesn't bother me, though it does bother my wife. She has recently become considerably more of a doomer than me though, and our options in the south-east are limited by idiotic property prices.

For me the biggest problem is the mechanics of selling in England and buying in Scotland. Their house-buying system is horrible.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
Wife's family is from Argyll , Tarbert to be exact , so not a million miles away . What sort of questions were you thinking of?

Not sure really. How do the locals feel about English people moving in?
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Lurkalot wrote:

Not sure really. How do the locals feel about English people moving in?

It's a bit late for the locals to worry about that. Plenty of English already there - you will be late to the party.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that , there being quite a few english there already atleast in the Tarbert area . My wife's mother was born there and she has a number of relatives in Tarbert and Campbelltown although my wife herself was born in Redcar. We've been up there on numerous occasions and i never felt any sort of animosity towards the english , it all seems pretty friendly . I suppose there will always be some who feel we are bloody foreigners but i've not come across them .
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottish house-buying system sucks bigtime. Anyone got any experience of this "offers over" system? Looks like a nightmare for buyers. Same can be said for the stamp duty. Sad
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a business as against a private doomstead, I am not convinced that being off grid is an advantage.
Guests tend to expect mains electricity, and whilst it could be argued that the output of a large RE system is indistinguishable from the mains, the practical application tends to differ.

Most guests expect an electric kettle in the room. It will be a very large and expensive RE system that can cope with 4 kettles, 3 hairdyers and a few large TV sets. 20 kw ! Say a 24kw inverter bank to allow a margin for contingencies. 24Kw is about 1,000 amps at 24 volts.

Guests tend to waste hot water, or at least to use to use it very liberally, and a plentiful supply is essential.

To supply an 8 bedroom house (5 letting rooms and 3 for owner+family) implies a peak hot water demand in the region of 100kw, or with storage an average input of 5KW.
Space heating demand can be substantial, paying guests may expect much more generous heating than many of us use.

All this implies a large boiler burning natural gas, or oil if gas is not available. Wood burning though possible is exceedingly labour intensive for such demands. Coal is nearly as labour intensive, but is cheap. Carbon intensive though.

Consider also the energy demand of frequently laundering all that bed linen.
Guests expect white, 100% cotton, which needs hot washing if it is to stay white. Easily achieved with modern machinery, but allow for two washing machines, two tumble dryers, and fuel for same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: