PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What can we plant right now in case Covid19 disrupt our food

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: What can we plant right now in case Covid19 disrupt our food Reply with quote

A couple of members, on the Corona thread, have suggested that food could become scarce.

With this in mind, what crops can be planted now, are available, and yield the most calories in the shortest time ?

This site has some good suggestions:

I would add perennial spinach to the list.https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-garden/short-list-of-fast-growing-vegetables/
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to add first early potatoes to that list, 70 days for Swift.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been giving some thought to this as the crisis still unfolds in Australia. I even thought of beginning a post on the Permaculture section but I like a few others are probably put off by the title excluding conventional gardening posts.

The seasons are opposite here so I have just finished harvesting maize, potatoes, beans, peas, onions, carrots and sweet potatoes.
A second round of potatoes from the too small discarded original harvested potatoes are going in to see if anything comes out of it. Another patch of asparagus has been planted along with second carrots and onions that the wife has managed to mostly weed out.
A rat has been seen in the orange tree slowly eating still unripened oranges and poison has been placed. Mangoes were given away by the wife to friends. Bananas were a non-starter as the fruit never seemed to grow properly and the plant was enormous and roots were destroying fencing. Macadamias were ignored this year as I was away during harvest time and my four year old son uses them as marbles. Almonds were a no go this year probably due to extensive pruning of the tree last year. Apples and pears were eaten while still unripe by a parrot type bird.

Answering the previous posts I grew some perennial spinach and it was excellent and only stopped as it went to seed eventually. I will have to try the artichokes and even turnips for 'winter' (we don't really get one here). I would also recommend using a cold frame to get things going earlier. I even have one here and it was useful to get the corn (i.e. maize) growing a month earlier than usual.

In a recent press conference the Australian PM was at pains to point out that there would be no food shortages - Australia produces about three times as much food as it consumes - but there may be a shortage of people to harvest the crop as a lot of work was done by foreign visitors/backpackers who have just been banned from Australia. The country has closed its borders right now.
careful_eugene

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broad beans can be planted now, not sure about calories but good for protein
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many onions.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One merit of broad beans is that after harvesting the beans, goats and perhaps other livestock will eat the remainder of the plant.

In Ghana "English beans" are increasingly grown instead of traditional crops, provided that irrigation is available.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also fix nitrogen from the air into the soil, which I guess is useful in scrub, overgrazed Africa
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two months before the traditional planting day here for anything except cold tolerating seeds like peas. I should be starting tomatoes and broccoli in flats indoors and may get to that this week but this year is a good year to try to grow a winters food in your own garden. That means 500 lbs of potatoes, 150 lbs of carrots 150 lbs of onions, 150 quarts of tomatoes home canned, 100 quarts of peas frozen and 100 quarts of sweet corn frozen along with broccoli, squash, green beans, beets, spinach and turnips. Throw in some apple sauce from the orchard and black berries for cobbler (can't do strawberries this year as it takes two to get a crop) and all you need is a side of beef or three or four deer or fifty meat chickens to round it out.
Not sure if my usual construction inspection job will be there this summer. If it is not this garden will get my full attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: