PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USA cost of driving.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: USA cost of driving. Reply with quote

Smile I've just switched vehicles so have the opportunity to count up the cost of the vehicle just gone and thought it was instructive. The IRS currently allows taxpayers to write of 54 cents per mile of business use.
Here are my figures, some estimated as I did not keep exact records of gasoline consumption and price.
2011 Nissan frontier cost plus tax and interest $29,151
five years of state registration 300
five years of annual safety inspections 150
six replacement tires at $200 each 1,200
gas at 17 mpg and $3.00/ gal average for 103,000 mi 18,200
repairs / brake pads and rotors 350
oil changes at 5000mi intervals 1,000
Less insurance paid when totaled 17,000

Net total cost for 103,000 miles $33,351
32 cents per mile.
I hope the 2013 one I replaced it with will do as well and it may considering that gas is just $2.25 at present.
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness 17 mpg. Hmmm.....that's around 14 UK mpg Shocked My van with all its gear weighs about 2 tons, and that gives 33 UK mpg, or 39 US mpg. and I consider even that is rather greedy on fuel. What are you expecting from your new wagon?

Hey mods, I wrote k i t (now "gear") and the auto sensor interfered and changed it to DODGY. Isn't that taking PC to extremes?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A USA gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon, therefore 17 miles per USA gallon is about 21 miles per imperial gallon. So not as bad as it first appears, but still poor fuel economy by UK standards.

I regret the inconvenience caused by the auto edit feature, but I felt this to be a price worth paying to deter the endless adverts for food preparation rooms.
Any attempt at posting the name of the room in which food is cooked will be auto edited to DODGY, even if the word is written in two portions or mis spelled.
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
My goodness 17 mpg. Hmmm.....that's around 14 UK mpg Shocked My van with all its gear weighs about 2 tons, and that gives 33 UK mpg, or 39 US mpg. and I consider even that is rather greedy on fuel. What are you expecting from your new wagon?

Hey mods, I wrote k i t (now "gear") and the auto sensor interfered and changed it to DODGY. Isn't that taking PC to extremes?

I mis read the MPG calculator, as you say it's about 21UK mpg, and my van gives 27 US mpg. That's still greedy on fuel just the same.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old truck got 22 mpg (US) on the highway and had a six speed standard transmission. But I drive quite a bit on back roads in snow and mud conditions so the lower city driving numbers are more accurate. I also use my truck as a portable office and have been known to sit with the engine idling while I do paper work or wait for a crew to get on with it, so I am using gas just to keep my carcass warm. The first tank with the new truck which has a five speed automatic transmission got 17 mpg and that included quite a bit of idle time.
At the present $2.25 US/gallon price you need to get to 28 mpg US to make a $0.05 difference in cost per mile.
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use truck fuel (diesel) or car fuel? If you use diesel, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Espar-D2-12v-diesel-truck-Simi-boat-cab-sleeper-bunk-heater-/131792269775?hash=item1eaf6e71cf:g:J28AAOSwiLdV-1kU&vxp=mtr will save a lot of fuel when waiting.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
Do you use truck fuel (diesel) or car fuel? If you use diesel, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Espar-D2-12v-diesel-truck-Simi-boat-cab-sleeper-bunk-heater-/131792269775?hash=item1eaf6e71cf:g:J28AAOSwiLdV-1kU&vxp=mtr will save a lot of fuel when waiting.

I'm aware of the fuel savings for diesel vs, gas (petrol to you) but here the initial higher cost of the diesel engine equipped truck outweighs the savings unless the diesel truck lasts a very long time and with the amount of road salt the state puts out keeping the roads safe to drive the bodies of a diesel truck rust out before the breakeven point is reached.
Heavy trucks and those doing a lot of torque work like plowing snow are economical in diesel but a commuter car/office is cheaper in gas.
Your prices and tax structure is probably quite different as is your bottom line.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost per mile only tells half the story. A quick google suggests Americans drive an average of ~13,500 a year.

Compare this with just 7,900 miles per car in the UK!

Whilst the US cost per mile is a bit lower, the amount spent on motoring isn't that different.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Cost per mile only tells half the story. A quick google suggests Americans drive an average of ~13,500 a year.

Whilst the US cost per mile is a bit lower, the amount spent on motoring isn't that different.

13,500 a year would be nice but while I'm working 20,00 a year or more is what it takes. Back in the 90's I averaged over 30,000 a year leading paving crews around. The good news is a lot of that driving is paid mileage paid at .54 per mile. Currently the truck earns $50 per work day which covers the truck, fuel and my meals on the job. Smile
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
clv101 wrote:

13,500 a year would be nice but while I'm working 20,00 a year or more is what it takes. Back in the 90's I averaged over 30,000 a year leading paving crews around. The good news is a lot of that driving is paid mileage paid at .54 per mile. Currently the truck earns $50 per work day which covers the truck, fuel and my meals on the job. Smile

I used to do a lot of travelling (about 25k a year) about 5 years back. I used to get 47p a mile for travel and that paid for the car also. These days, I commute via my home office : D

The company I work for now mandates that you book a hire car if your journey is over 60 miles on-way, so I assume they must be getting a hell of a deal with the car hire company, as they pay 40p a mile for car travel.

I had to do a 150 mile round trip this week in one of the new Ford Fiesta Ecoboost cars (with a 1 litre engine); in normal driving I don't think it got below 20mpg but never got to the 60mpg that some drivers have been claiming....
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
clv101 wrote:

I wasn't thinking so much about your personal use but rather that Americans on average drive further than Europeans, mitigating much of the lower per mile cost.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
clv101 wrote:

I wasn't thinking so much about your personal use but rather that Americans on average drive further than Europeans, mitigating much of the lower per mile cost.
Yes the American love affair with it's automobiles wastes a lot of money and oil. Part of it is the layout of our cities and suburbs and the vast distances between things in the Western states. Come $10/gal. gasoline there will be major changes.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
clv101 wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
clv101 wrote:

Yes the American love affair with it's automobiles wastes a lot of money and oil. Part of it is the layout of our cities and suburbs and the vast distances between things in the Western states. Come $10/gal. gasoline there will be major changes.

I never did understand why the USA didn't adopt high-speed rail. I would have thought that the country would have been perfect for this. France and Japan do very well with their rail setups. Guess it must be a cultural thing...
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutomaticEarth wrote:
I never did understand why the USA didn't adopt high-speed rail. I would have thought that the country would have been perfect for this. France and Japan do very well with their rail setups. Guess it must be a cultural thing...

The USA built it's interstate system to break the monopoly the railroad barons had on interstate travel and freight. No one has ever wanted to give any of that back to them. And besides a young man can't take his girl up to lookout point in a rail car. Wink
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I am a bit surprised. I thought my post would nudge several of you to cipher out your own most recent cost of transport so that we might compare costs between the east and west side of the pond. I find it hard to think that my cost figures are so low that none of you can best them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: