PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USA cost of driving.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've written at great length about my diesel car in the last few years. I didn't want to bore the regulars by repeating it Smile

Your transport requirements are different from most in the UK - difficult road conditions, heavy haulage needs and big milage for work, not regular commuting. You lifestyle is the one which is held up as the dream lifestyle in all the SUV adds where people in dead end jobs can dream that they are their own masters and taming the wild, just by driving a massive truck.

I doubt even 1% if US drivers need such a big and powerful vehicle. Certainly less than 1% in the UK.

Driving costs are driven by a lot of things - tax, insurance, VAT on purchase price, hire purchase costs, road licence, etc., which have little to do with the size or efficiency of the vehicle, or it's appropriateness for the transport needs of the owner.

That said, I hope that buying my Nissan Leaf will reduce my total running costs even though we are now a 2 car family instead of a one car family. (of course, it will not reduce them enough to offset the purchase price over its lifetime).
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in a very rural part of England, 10 miles to the nearest town and virtually no public transport in the area, so our mileage is more than we might like. We do almost 10,000 miles per year. Our car, a diesel Citroen C3, has a long term average of 70 (Imperial) miles per gallon. (On a hot day on flat countryside I've done 90mpg over 20 miles)
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will,be interesting to see how you make out with the Nissan leaf Ralph. I always include all taxes in my cost calculations as they are unavoidable and somewhere in them comes the cost of the roads you drive on.How to add in the town property tax share for plowing and maintaining the town roads is a problem but is somewhat balanced out by gas tax that gets diverted to the courts and state police.
All in all I think 33 cents a mile is worth it for the freedom and utility the truck gives me and would not fold myself into and out of a sedan like my daughters Honda Accord as I'm 6 ft 4 in. and getting creaky in the joints. The truck lets me step in and out almost level and has plenty of head room though not enough to wear a hardhat while driving.
I am looking forward to completely retiring from construction work and staying home here on the hill for days at a time.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My style of driving doesn't require use of a hard hat, even for the passengers.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a full month's figures for the Leaf, and it cost me 3.5p / mile in electricity (Ecotricity claims 100% renewable production, and charge a bit higher than most at 16p/KWh). However, that is assuming that the charging is 100% efficient. In practice I suspect 80% is closer to the mark, making my
costs 4.3p /mile, or about 6.3 cents
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
My style of driving doesn't require use of a hard hat, even for the passengers.
Very funny!!
On the construction sites I work on everybody has to have a hard hat and a spec reflective vest on at all times. If you walk up to the ditch/hole/bridge/work area etc. without your PPE ( personnel protective equipment) on the responsible person in charge Has!! to send you back to a "safe area" or be guilty of a violation that can cost him and his company a lot in fines.
The fact that I have to remove my hard hat every time I get into the truck means that I occasionally forget to replace it the next time I exit the truck and approach a work area. Considering how little real protection a plastic hat actually provides against anything that might actually injure or kill you the rules and regulations waste a lot of my time.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
I now have a full month's figures for the Leaf, and it cost me 3.5p / mile in electricity (Ecotricity claims 100% renewable production, and charge a bit higher than most at 16p/KWh). However, that is assuming that the charging is 100% efficient. In practice I suspect 80% is closer to the mark, making my
costs 4.3p /mile, or about 6.3 cents
I had a response to that typed in but when I proof read it realized it was over the top and was a product of the long day I put in and the beer I've consumed after quitting time.
If my math is correct ( Maths to you Brits) it would take an ICE car that achieved 38 mpg (US) to equal your Leaf on fuel cost alone. Not many out there that actually do that. Of course the total cost of driving includes a lot more then just the fuel cost and future buyers will have to consider all of that when the make their choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: