PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

extracting platinum from road debris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: extracting platinum from road debris Reply with quote

Fascinating.

Doable, but...

https://youtu.be/v5GPWJPLcHg
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video of an impressive bit of work.

When I was a geology undergraduate, back in the pre-Cambrian, we had a field trip to Anglesey where we did some field geochemistry. We found the ballast used to build the road that lead to the old Parys Mountain mines had commercially viable concentrations of silver!
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When doing my chemistry degree back in the early 80s I shared a lab with a PhD student studying extraction of reare minerals from sea water. I remember an analysis that it was theoretically energy positive to extract uranium from sea water by some sort of reverse osmosis using nuclear generated electricity.

Of course, the capital cost of the fleet of nuclear power stations and desalination plants was not included in the calculation.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Great video of an impressive bit of work.

Absolutely, whatever you think about the intrinsic value of what they're doing. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: