PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW to launch small commercial energy storage solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: BMW to launch small commercial energy storage solution Reply with quote

http://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/news/storage/bmw-to-launch-small-commercial-energy-storage-solution

BMW has announced plans to launch a stationary energy storage product suitable for small commercial applications utilising the same high-voltage batteries used in i3 electric vehicles, including those repurposed from existing EVs. The German company made the announcement at the Electric Vehicle Symposium & Exhibition 29 in Montreal, Canada, claiming it will be the first automotive manufacturer to utilise a complete automotive high-voltage battery for energy storage.

BMW did not however divulge any release details at the event, and BMW Group UK could not be reached for comment on when the system would be launched in the UK. The system can use both new and second life BMW i3 high-voltage batteries and can be integrated with charging stations and solar PV systems to allow customers to offset peak energy costs and access backup energy reserves.

Cliff Fietzek, manager connected eMobility at BMW of North America, said: "The remarkable advantage for BMW customers in using BMW i3 batteries as a plug and play storage application is the ability to tap into an alternative resource for residential and commercial backup power, thus using renewable energy much more efficiently, and enabling additional revenues from the energy market," The ‘plug and play’ lithium-ion battery systems will be available with 22kWh or 33kWh capacity and uses real-time energy readings to measure available energy supply and demand and calculate the optimal time to charge or discharge the system.

The storage system also includes a voltage converter and power electronics to manage the energy flow between renewable energy sources, the property interface, and the high-voltage battery from the BMW i3. BMW says the re-use of batteries from BMW’s i3 range of electric vehicles for energy storage is an expansion of the sustainability concept of its offering. Following in-vehicle usage, the BMW i3 battery retains most of its original capacity and so can continue to offer years of emissions free power storage.

Rob Healey, manager of EV infrastructure for BMW North America, added: "With a battery storage system electrified by BMW i our customers can take the next step towards a sustainable energy lifestyle. Coupled with the home charging and solar energy programs, the system enables BMW drivers to embrace holistic sustainability beyond e-mobility.” The new product offering follows a similar launch by Nissan, which announced in May that that it would sell used LEAF battery units as a new residential battery storage system.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the merits of such a system, presuming that it is economic.
Since ALL the research and development costs have already been sunk, and most of the capital cost has presumably been paid by the first use of the battery in an EV, this should be relatively affordable.

My main concern is the proximity of "lithium battery" and "high voltage" and "repurposed" makes me a bit uneasy !

I know that lithium batteries are accepted for EVs, but I still don't fancy large lithium batteries indoors, any more than I would store petrol indoors.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new employer already sells of-the-shelf liIon battery storage systems for integrating into grid connect PV systems. Ideal for maximising returns on FIT systems, and a side effect of balancing supply and demand between day and night. However, economics of the systems are only break-even if you get a good lifetime out of the batteries.

However these are smaller systems, about 8KWh max, smaller than the Tesla units, and much smaller than these BMW ones. It would be a big, thirsty house that needed 20KWh of solar backup, or had the roof space to host enough PV to charge it.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
My new employer....

Congratulations! Sounds like an interesting/useful job too! Smile
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a short contract at the moment. I sincerely hope that the Brexit vote does not frighten off too many of our customers, before I can get ink dry on a permanent post...
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
Only a short contract at the moment. I sincerely hope that the Brexit vote does not frighten off too many of our customers, before I can get ink dry on a permanent post...

Best of luck with that. I know the stress of being between jobs and would not wish it on anyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: