PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mclaren for the African poor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: New Mclaren for the African poor Reply with quote

Wouldn't mind one of these myself!
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.
cubes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a picture of one as packed towards the bottom of the page.

http://oxgvt.com/the-ox-all-terrain-vehicle/
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to my Nissan Frontier thank you.
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/frontier/2013/
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mclaren for the African poor Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Wouldn't mind one of these myself!
Like it a lot!
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:

$18000+, ostentatious, unfixable without high tec workshop, demands specific spares.

Ox

don't know price, basic, fixable with suitable hammer, spares can be made locally in many cases.

You keep your Frontier, I'll take the Ox.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

$18000+, ostentatious, unfixable without high tec workshop, demands specific spares.

Ox

don't know price, basic, fixable with suitable hammer, spares can be made locally in many cases.

You keep your Frontier, I'll take the Ox.

Mine is a 4X4 with most of the bells and whistles so closer to $30K new. Change the oil every 5000 miles and the break pads every 70K or so and it should go 225K or so. The car you can fix under the shade tree in your back yard is a thing of the past. Get over it.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
.. The car you can fix under the shade tree in your back yard is a thing of the past. ...

Until now!!
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Through the foundation of the Global Vehicle Trust (GVT), Torquil Norman pursued his ambition to help people in the developing world by providing cost-effective mobility for communities to undertake crucial daily tasks, such as collect drinking water and transporting grain, fertilizer or building materials.

The disadvantage "helping" the developing world would allow them more time and resources, which they unfortunately translate into more breeding, so adding to the planet's problem.

My van has done 228k, but does it without electronic management so I might not be able to fix it under a tree, but a simple workshop will do. A Frontier is unfixable unless you have a computer to tell you what the problem is. Get over it Wink
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computers are cheap. A bluetooth adaptor to the car data port starts from 5 (I have one). An app to decode the standard interface on my phone as 15, of course each manufacturer customises the standard to make life harder, but it still tells you most of what you need to know.

How it will all hang together when the handful of chip manufacturing plants shut down is hard to say, but Rome did not collapse in a day. I suspect computers will be around as long as there is affordable oil to fill your car.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computerised engine management is great, offering fuel economy and low emissions.

If you want to get rid of anything on modern vehicles consider air-con and electric windows / mirrors / seats first.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right C. On this any many other aspects of our interaction with the technology around us.

And yet....

For me, I am trying, as far as I am able and can afford, to get "off-grid" in terms of the technology I use. Mostly, I have to concede that, currently, this is often pointless and, even, counter productive in terms of being able to be an effective navigator of the world as it is. So, for example, I make quite a few items of the clothes I wear and I intend to make more of my own shoes when I find the time. These things make no sense in immediate economic terms and yet I am psychologically compelled to do it. So, if only for that reason, I like the idea of an extremely low-tech, highly serviceable (with few tools) vehicle even if it is less "efficient" in modern, technical terms. It has, embodied within its design a longer-term robustness that, whilst irrelevant right now, wont be irrelevant in the future.

Probably a future I will not be alive to see. But, anyway.....
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it has to be said the improved efficiency of vehicles in the last 2 decades is largely illusory, as real world consumption is far higher then official figures. Cars are both far heavier and far more powerful than ever, even as average speed on our congested roads has remained static (I assume, haven't checked).

We could halve real consumption by cutting out a lot of weight at the expense of crash safety and reduced power (enforced by engine management to frustrate the lead-footed).

My big, heavy Leaf does 5 miles /KWh of electricity (low speed, eco mode). A 45 mpg car gives 1 mile / KWh of primary energy.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the wheels do not look big enough in either diameter or width.

On rough terrain, other factors being equal, larger diameter wheels and tires perform better and give a smoother ride.
Wider tires, within reason, are less liable to damage road surfaces and a bit less liable to getting stuck in mud or soft ground.

Larger wheels and tires do of course add to cost and weight, but I wonder if something a bit larger might have been better. Preferably something already in mass production and therefore cheap.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
To me, the wheels do not look big enough in either diameter or width.

On rough terrain, other factors being equal, larger diameter wheels and tires perform better and give a smoother ride.
Wider tires, within reason, are less liable to damage road surfaces and a bit less liable to getting stuck in mud or soft ground.

Larger wheels and tires do of course add to cost and weight, but I wonder if something a bit larger might have been better. Preferably something already in mass production and therefore cheap.
If the wheels are on high, suspended levers then they may still give the same clearance as bigger wheels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: