PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Shoes Reply with quote

For the last few years (when not actually in the mud) I've been mainly (6-7 days a week) wearing these:
SALOMON XA PRO 3D: http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/xa-pro-3d.html

I find them a brilliant shoe, but they only last around 18 months! Rather than buy a third pair surely it's not beyond the wit of man to produce a light, comfortable, grippy shoe that's generally smart enough, good for off-road running and that lasts 5+ years?

Any ideas?
Snail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt a such a running shoe exists.

If you didn't need a smart looking shoe, I'd suggest a sandal. Little fabric to come apart or fail.

Flat soles with no supports are better for your feet and legs too.

For eg. Xeroshoes ztrail or shamma mountain goats would last longer than a conventional shoe I think.

I wear sandals for off-road running and walking. They're much better than trainers in my opinion. Sometimes I go barefeet in muddy bits too.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'running' is probably the least important, I wear these basically all the time except for funerals, weddings, or digging the potatoes. I'm after a 'do it all' shoe that lasts more than 18 months when worn virtually every day for 10hrs a day.
Snail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, I don't know. But would be interested in such a shoe myself.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up trying to find shoes that are affordable, comfortable, and durable.
For general use I wear a cheap brand of safety shoe, these only last about 6 to 12 months but are cheap enough that numerous spare pairs are affordable, I keep at least 6 pairs in reserve.

I favour safety shoes even not at work, my toes have been saved from injury several times thus.

I also have a pair of proper walking boots, and wellingtons but these are little used.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say eighteen months of daily wear in outside working conditions is about all you can hope for. Having two or three pairs worn in rotation helps some by letting the inner linings dry out between uses.
careful_eugene

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For general use I would recommend Merrell's. I still have a pair that I use for dry allotment visits that are about 12 years old, very hard wearing but comfortable (expensive though). For running shoes I use Brooks GTS, again expensive but I did the Nottingham survival of the fittest race 3 years in a row using the same pair. Having several pairs and using them in rotation as suggested by vtsnowedin seems like a good idea.
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 18 months? That seems a long time for a shoe of any sort worn daily. Shoes may last longer but only because they are repaired when worn, and there are not many cobblers around now. Leather shoes of traditional construction are repairable, those posers' shoes are unlikely to be repairable economically.

I bought 50 pairs of Totectors several years ago. Totectors had discontinued the syle, and had sent all the quipment to India. However, they were prepared to make a batch of 50 which I got at the time for a bargain price I thought. They have nitrile soles so I think difficult to repair, and they get walked-over. I suppose rotating 3 pairs might allow me to put trees in to pull them back into shape a bit, but shoes wear out, that's their function.

You are paying 100 for about 450 days of wear, that's less than 25p a day or about 1.5 minutes pay at the average(ish) salary of 20k.
Little John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have made my own out-stitch shoes before, I got hold of a DVD set of instructional videos from these people a couple of months back. I Intend to have a go this winter on my Singer 29k cobbler's machine. Though, they could be made by hand entirely

http://www.healthyhandmadeshoes.com/
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern trainers are light but not robust. I would agree with Adam about safety shoes, they are now very lightweight, robust, waterproof and have chunky soles. They can also look like formal shoes. The only trainers that lasted forever were original Hitec Silver Shadows, although in later years they were poorer eg no 1/2 sizes etc. I still have about 4 pairs.

I think these are early but maybe not the very 1st version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Hi-Tec-Trainers-Silver-Shadow-Original-/142072315569?var=441166637742&hash=item21142b7eb1:g:PrsAAOSwTZ1XnzHV
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was just today looking at safety shoes and was very impressed by the lightness and apparent robustness. I think safety shoes + a pair of decent trainers is the way forward.

I'm just a little disappointed that material science (or maybe it's more to do with marketing and consumerism) hasn't come up with a decent trainer that will last years.
Little John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you surprised that shoes do not last longer than they do? I'll give you a hint, it's got very little to do with material science.

You are aware we live in a capitalist society, right? You do know how capitalism works?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disappointment rather than surprise.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Martins float my boat.
Little John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:
Doc Martins float my boat.
Doc Martins are proper crap compared to when I was a teenager. I am not just saying that because I am now an old fart who thinks everything was better when he was a lad. They really are rubbish now. I bought my last pair of Doc Martin shoes 3 years ago and then threw them away in disgust less than 4 months later after they had worn a hole in the air-cushion sole.

Last edited by Little John on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: