PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prepare for sudden evacuation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Prepare for sudden evacuation. Reply with quote

Events in Northolt, greater London should serve as a reminder to "prepare for the unexpected"

There is a stand-off underway between armed police and a man feared to be in possession of "dangerous materials" and also several large and potentially dangerous dogs.
Nearly 100 persons have been evacuated at very short notice, and are now spending their second night away from home.

Such events are essientialy random and can happen in the most unlikely of places.

It would be well to prepare for any such event in your area.

Have a bag packed for any sudden evacuation.
Consider also where you will go, friends, relatives, hotel, or accept the basic offering of TPTB.
Less obvious factors to consider include,
Pets, take with you or leave behind with food and water ?
Make safe any fire or stove.
Turn off the gas or leave it on ?
Turn off the mains electricity, or leave it on ?
Remember to turn off any standby or alternative source of electricity.

Also consider that a localised evacuation with a heavy police presence is a VERY different situation to a major or widespread TEOTWAWKI.
If I feared that TSHTF and resulted in no effective policing then I would carry a weapon, but NOT for a very localised emergency under police control.

Please keep posts on the topic of preparing for unexpected evacuations, and not on the motives of the person involved in this case.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine most home insurance does not cover 'acts of terrorism', so if you house is blown up by your next door neighbour's deliberate actions, what happens? Who would cover your loss?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
I imagine most home insurance does not cover 'acts of terrorism', so if you house is blown up by your next door neighbour's deliberate actions, what happens? Who would cover your loss?
Well if your neighbor lives to tell the tail you could sue him for it but in most cases I'd expect your going to take it on the chin.
snow hope

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:

I believe the Govt covers the costs but as you can imagine it takes a long time until payment materialises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: