PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Trump presidency.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: The Trump presidency. Reply with quote

As the election is over I thought it best to start a new thread dealing with the transition and first term of Donald Trump.
Here is a story from today about a call made to Trump from the president of Taiwan that has the liberal media in a tizzy.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/02/world/trump-calls-to-world-leaders.html?_r=0
Sure hope he knows what he is doing. He really needs a good Secretary of State and to start listening to him ASAP.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm naive here but to me the Taiwan story sounds absolutely freeking ridiculous.

It's often said that Trump is immature, childish etc. Yet today we hear that for some 40 years the US president has refused to talk to his Taiwanese counterpart? Additionally we hear that China would take great offence were such a conversation to take place?! What are we, 7 years old?

Good on Trump for taking/making the call and shame on the media/China for making it an issue.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I'm sure I'm naive here but to me the Taiwan story sounds absolutely freeking ridiculous.

It's often said that Trump is immature, childish etc. Yet today we hear that for some 40 years the US president has refused to talk to his Taiwanese counterpart? Additionally we hear that China would take great offence were such a conversation to take place?! What are we, 7 years old?

Good on Trump for taking/making the call and shame on the media/China for making it an issue.

I think it may be a warning shot over the mainlands bow to let them know times and policies are about to change. It has John Bolton's fingerprints all over it.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the team be has appointed so far is the wealthiest in the history of the USA. This presiedency is going to be government by billionaires, for biollionaires and paid for (in advance) by billionaires.

George Monbiot has gone very doomerish again over Trump .

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/30/donald-trump-george-monbiot-misinformation
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:

What happens if China invades Taiwan?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea, but I know of very few situations that are improved by folk not talking to each other for decades. The 'One China' thing is daft IMO.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I've no idea, but I know of very few situations that are improved by folk not talking to each other for decades. The 'One China' thing is daft IMO.

Yes I have thought so from the day it happened.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
I heard that the team be has appointed so far is the wealthiest in the history of the USA. This presiedency is going to be government by billionaires, for biollionaires and paid for (in advance) by billionaires.

George Monbiot has gone very doomerish again over Trump .

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/30/donald-trump-george-monbiot-misinformation

Doomerish? Realistic, more like.

Take heed of the information therein. George Monbiot, love him or hate him, is possibly the most well-researched journalist at the Guardian; certainly amongst the most honest.

If it can be proven that anything factual in the article is wrong, let him know and he will most likely respond - he's always responded on the half-dozen times I've contacted him.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Galloway make a very good point in Darlington the other night.

If, and it is a big if, Trump does what he said he was going to do on foreign policy regarding Russia, this is good for the rest of the World and, if he does what he says he is going to do for Rust belt workers, this will be good for Americans.

On the other hand, if he turns out to be as big a warmonger as Clinton demonstrably was, there will never be a better opportunity for the rest of the world to be persuaded to finally stand united against American foreign policy than under a Trump presidency.

In other words, little downside and a lot of upside.

Last edited by Little John on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
I hear Galloway make a very good point the other night.

If, and it is a big if, Trump dies .................

Dream on.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Trump picks Scott Pruitt to head (or should I say to dismantle) the EPA.
This should make an interesting confirmation hearing.
Quote:
President-Elect Trumps appointment of Scott Pruitt is a breath of fresh air. No longer do we have to suffer under President Obamas ridiculous EPA climate regulations. It is also refreshing that a Republican President is not throwing the EPA over to the green activists and the media by appointing a weak administrator. Christine Todd Whitman he is not! See:

http://www.climatedepot.com/2016/12/07/trump-ignores-gores-advice-instead-picks-skeptic-to-head-epa-dismantle-climate-agenda/
He also has chosen a Labor secretary that opposes the minimum wage.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
clv101 wrote:

There are many daft situations that result in peace whilst people calm down. If you aim to challenge things merely because they are daft then you will see more violent conflicts as a result.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
clv101 wrote:

There are many daft situations that result in peace whilst people calm down. If you aim to challenge things merely because they are daft then you will see more violent conflicts as a result.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by a "daft situation". Would you care to explain your meaning?
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Cool Trump picks Scott Pruitt to head (or should I say to dismantle) the EPA.
This should make an interesting confirmation hearing.
Quote:
President-Elect Trumps appointment of Scott Pruitt is a breath of fresh air. No longer do we have to suffer under President Obamas ridiculous EPA climate regulations. It is also refreshing that a Republican President is not throwing the EPA over to the green activists and the media by appointing a weak administrator. Christine Todd Whitman he is not! See:

http://www.climatedepot.com/2016/12/07/trump-ignores-gores-advice-instead-picks-skeptic-to-head-epa-dismantle-climate-agenda/
He also has chosen a Labor secretary that opposes the minimum wage.

He also has chosen the one time head of Exxon Mobile as secretary of state. He also has just ridiculed the CIA as having got it wrong regarding Russian hacking during the election.

trump is a loose cannon, and if there are not major problems for the world in the next few years I will be very surprised.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no evidence of "Russian Hacking" of the US election. None whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: