PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deposit return schemes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: deposit return schemes Reply with quote

Coca Cola and the fight back against plans to tackle plastic waste

Coca Cola wrote:
a DRS scheme would cause expense and inconvenience to consumers, particularly vulnerable people; damage business and existing recycling and anti-littering initiatives.. And increase carbon emissions and environmental impact.

Rolling Eyes

Petition
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems such an innocent idea, but i have seen people using their car to take a wad of newspapers to the recycling bin, and then going home again. Net benefit to the planet I suspect is negative. for most people these bottles would go into the recycling bin. So where's the gain, given that many things don't work the way it was intended?
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right. I would be interested in seeing an independent assessment of the relative merits. Sadly most people who do published assessments have some idea of the conclusions they will come to before they do the assessments.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remelting single use plastic is just pissing into the wind and recycling is generally just window dressing. You can buy recycled plastic 'timber', but the fact that it costs more than dead trees shows that no gov gives a rats ass for the future. Until the supermarkets are forced to pass a 100% sales tax on any packaging that is not refillable, I won't be impressed.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
Until the supermarkets are forced to pass a 100% sales tax on any packaging that is not refillable, I won't be impressed.

That's more like it...but even small steps, like deposit schemes, are welcome.

But like you fuzzy, I'd be happy to see far more coercive schemes placed firmly on the shoulders of those responsible for waste.

Imagine a guy waving goodbye too yet another lorry-load of plastic bottles filled with water he gets for free, what a smile on his face at his almost 100% profit margin. Then imagine his face when another lorry comes back in the gates stuffed full of his (mixed up with others') empty bottles. Things would change.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another small but significant idea in the deposit scheme system. Germany and neighbours seem to be much better at using these ideas than certain other countries. Laughing

Quote:
The city of Berlin is now preparing to attempt a great leap forward: soon, coffee consumers in Berlin will be able to enjoy their coffee-to-go from a refillable cup supplied by coffee retailers. You have to pay pay a deposit, which will be quickly and easily refundable when the cups are returned to participating retailers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: