PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://counterpropa.com/morons-believe-us-government-says-north-korea/
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the US power establishment has an extensive, consistent history of lying to manufacture support for war. Be intensely skeptical. That’s all I’m saying here.

Good site, LJ.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been so busy elsewhere that they only had a few windows to get involved in Korea as well. The conventional strength of North Korea, with the possible involvement of China as well, would require the full involvement of the whole of the US military.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless NK actually attacks the US whatever happens would have to have the support of SK and/or Japan.
cubes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the US shoots down the next NK missile launch. NK will retaliate in some kind (perhaps shelling SK) and with Trump in charge it could escalate from there, although here's hoping McMaster (imo trump's only decent adviser) kicks some sense into him.

Travel ban on americans going to NK from 1 September too... do we perhaps have a timetable for war?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that north korea are backing down. Latest statements refer to a plan to fire missiles "near" the American territory, rather than at it.

Test firing presumably inert practice or test missiles near someone else's territory is provocative, which is no doubt the idea, but not the same as an actual nuclear attack, as was previously threatened.

If missiles are headed towards American territory, I would expect that the Americans would destroy them, rather than wait to see if they are carrying actual nuclear weapons.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The danger is that Trump use it as an excuse to retaliate before it's widely known whether the missile was aimed at or just near Guam and whether the missile was nuclear tipped or not. He's quite mad enough to do that.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
The danger is that Trump use it as an excuse to retaliate before it's widely known whether the missile was aimed at or just near Guam and whether the missile was nuclear tipped or not. He's quite mad enough to do that.

I have to disagree with you there. If the North Koreans shoot any missile , Nuclear topped or not, at Guam or any other allied territory it is a provocation that must be answered immediately. If they don't respond it leaves the N.Koreans holding us hostage and that can't be tolerated. At the very least the base where the missile is launched from must be reduced to ashes, and any place where the "Supreme boy" is likely to be holed up needs to become a deep hole in the ground.
How to do that without losing hundreds of thousands of people in South Korea is the problem but if the North Koreans launch such an attack they will become just a casualty figure.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the USA didn't seem to have a problem in the 1950s bombing North Korea back to the Stone-age and killing hundred of thousands, along with the 20 odd other million around the world since the second World war.

So I don't see why it should be a problem now...right?

Your country is not in "danger".

Your country is the danger.

Last edited by Little John on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
[...
I have to disagree with you there. If the North Koreans shoot any missile , Nuclear topped or not, at Guam or any other allied territory it is a provocation that must be answered immediately. If they don't respond it leaves the N.Koreans holding us hostage and that can't be tolerated. At the very least the base where the missile is launched from must be reduced to ashes, and any place where the "Supreme boy" is likely to be holed up needs to become a deep hole in the ground.
How to do that without losing hundreds of thousands of people in South Korea is the problem but if the North Koreans launch such an attack they will become just a casualty figure.

The missiles are on mobile launchers from what I've seen of them so no base to bomb. I presume that if they are any where near Guam they will be shot out of the sky by Patriot, or similar, missiles. This would be a demonstration of the futility of the North Korean efforts. If the Patriots don't get them it is a demonstration of the futility of the US anti missile system. Either way one of you will learn something.

As LJ has said, the US has never had a problem with the loss of other countries lives in the past so I doubt that Trump and co will have any problem now. Perhaps it's about time that the US had a war at home so that the majority of US people actually know from personal experience what war does to a country rather than just seeing it as a "TV program" or "Hollywood film".

If a few cities became a total 9/11 as has happened to Europe, Russia within living memory (just) and to Iraq, Syria, and countless other countries perhaps attitudes in the US would change.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

International law is relatively straightforward. If a country attacks another country the recipient of the attack is entitled to respond.

It is nonsensical to expect the USA just to sit there and accept being attacked. There are questions as to how the USA should respond, but it has the right to respond.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile launchers have to be parked somewhere most of the time and with modern satellite imagery and cameras on those flyover demonstration flights I expect that the USA military has a pretty good idea of where they are at any given time. A conventional bombing strike at those parking spots plus the underground test facility and even a palace or two is certainly a possibility. The counter attack by artillery against Seoul is probably the only thing that has kept that from already having happened.
You guys can spare me the America is evil tripe. Everything we know about being an abusive, arrogant, colonial power we learned at Great Briton's knee.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

America is not evil.

The regime America is fooled into voting for - and the money behind it - indisputably is.

See LJ's last link.

Quote:
It’s hard to be sure through the immense veil of western media spin how much of what is said about the disobedient communist government is a distortion of the facts, but we can be absolutely 100 percent certain that it is a sovereign nation, and that the US power establishment has an extensive, consistent history of lying to manufacture support for war.

clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About this nuclear war thing, most talk seems still to reflect cold war thinking of large numbers of megaton warheads. Thing is there's a very large spectrum between those worst case scenarios and the localised used of tactical nuclear weapons.

The US has a large array of these small weapons including nuclear artillery shells with a yield of under 100 tons of TNT.

Now, 100 tons of TNT is still a big bang, but ~four orders of magnitude smaller than strategic nuclear weapons. I suspect there are people in the military who would like to see a clear separation of tactical and strategic nuclear weapons, with the aim of 'normalising' the use of tactical weapons.... to that end, launching a few tactical warheads into North Korea, (supposedly) targeting their nuclear bomb and rocket facilities, might make that point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: