PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greer, Kunstler, Martenson, Morris and Orlov
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual a waste of time.

My liberal middle class friends don't want to listen to uncomfortable realities so will not watch the video.

Head in the sand denial appears common these days...
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Beria3 wrote:

Head in the sand denial appears common these days...

Always has been, but is currently getting worse.

At this point in the proceedings - with the consequences of approaching the limits to growth becoming more obvious all the time - we still haven't reached the point of widespread acceptance of "infinite growth is impossible in a finite physical system." It is an absolute logical inevitability - something which is completely impossible to rationally deny - and yet mainstream politics, mainstream economics and mainstream society all continue to think and behave as if it wasn't true. And if you speak to "normal" people about it, they tend to respond in one of two ways. The first is "there is no reason to believe this is relevant now" - they acknowledge it is true but are convinced it is a problem for some future generation, not us or our children. The second is to focus on the "impossibility" of dealing with the consequences, which are so bad that accepting we're hitting the limits is "pessimism" and right now "what we need is optimism".

The human race is f*cked. Our civilisation does not deserve to survive.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be true because:

We're awash in oil

It's so cheap in historical/relative terms

As one resource runs out, we'll switch to another

We'll adapt

Etc, etc. You can't win.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can blame the general public for ignoring reality, it is those who can make executive decisions altering our destiny, but don't do it - our ~650 'useless eaters' in charge of govt who have doomed the rest. My wife is a teacher of kids with problems. I try never to give her the doom facts, she has enough grief doing a good job, and needs a happy xmas face to do the job daily.

The classic politician solution is to go to the fault line of a conflict, and supply, or promise to supply, the missing fudge to bridge the gap. The problems always start at the far end, way back and the correct solution is to go back to what was incorrect in the first place and fix that, even if the public don't understand the connection.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorway on fire (not that I'm saying it's definitely related to the subjects in the talk, just maybe we need more of this to get people thinking).

Note mood music. Rolling Eyes
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true UE.

What is interesting with my friends is that whilst on the one hand they don't want to hear my "doomer/depressing" talk about issues facing humanity (climate change, peak oil, inequality, water scarcity, refugee crisis), yet, on the other hand they are astonished when political shocks like Brexit or Trump came along.

They are genuinely startled why anybody would vote against the status quo.

2016 seems to be a wake up for many ordinary people yet they still don't want to hear about the bigger systemic challenges facing us. They prefer to consider 2016 as a outbreak of collective madness/racism from the general public.

I think in their hearts they know that something very wrong has happened but simply refuse to recognize it and rather live in ignorance.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another good interview with Greer giving his take a Brexit (it is a little old but still worth a listen IMHO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TcEUIuCaI

Thanks LJ for posting the original video btw.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview.

The interviewer is a bit wet but Greer is as usual superb.

Greer "comes out" as Leaver!
Jakell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Greer, Kunstler, Martenson, Morris and Orlov Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Little John wrote:
He REALLY gets it.

Yes. Not just sociopolitically either. He REALLY gets the religious-philosophical stuff also, which is a good job since he's an archdruid...

I came to the conclusion around 2014 that this was his real centre all along. I reckon the Peak Oil flavour of the blog was just a topical issue that he happened to be discussing and this really gelled with what people were thinking and writing about at the time. Of course he noticed this and made use of it, he himself has expressed surprise how poplular his blog became.

I think it's wise of him to wrap it up about now (although I would have liked him to conclude the present philosophy section first), he's more or less come at the issues from every direction imaginable with enormous creativity and some useful repetition (reinforcement) has ensued, but even that has a limited utility.

I'm going to continues reading 'The Well of Galabes' as I expect some 'Archdruid Report' type stuff to bleed over. He's also mentioned another blog but who knows what form that will take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: