PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a house
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
Slugs are more numerous than ants in Wales. Nothing keeps the numbers down better than Khaki Campbell ducks.

My tuppence-with: I agree about the KCs for loving slugs - woodlice too - unfortunately, frogs as well!

They'll also eat anything you want to eat, so the compromise between them eating slugs and protecting your crops against both slugs and ducks is a tough one, requiring constant vigilance.

They also eat aerating and other pond plants, so these need to be enclosed in netting otherwise your pond will sludge up.

On balance though, the ducks are great, they're fun and cute and a piece of cake to look after. A fox-proof enclosure for night times is mandatory.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
clv101 wrote:
... Ken - do you know anyone who might be interested in our courses?...

Sorry, Chris, I've only just seen this.

I don't know anyone personally. If I was running a course I would advertise in Permaculture Magazine. I think it's easy enough to get volunteers though. I also tend to favour the opposition! Strawbuild as I've worked with Bee Rowan and Michael Howlett before.

We worked with Michael, lives quite near us, on the detail design and he'll be involved with the straw course. Barbara Jones is delivering the lime and clay courses.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
The straw bales have arrived! All 546 of them, stacked inside house ready for next month's build:

Nice tractor. Good looking crew.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day working on the bale walls today:

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti Vampire stakes?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're hosting our lime plastering course 28 June - 2 Jul and still have two places available. The course is run by Barbara Jones of Straw Works Ltd​, camping and food provided.

More about the house here: http://typren.co.uk/from-forest-to-frame-a-home-for-the-future-rhiw-las/

We're 2 hrs drive from Bristol and 3 miles from Whitland train station.

Please let anyone who might be interested know, this is a great opportunity to learn from one of the most experienced people in the business.

Photo album from Straw Works' previous courses: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1557499140940598.1073741831.1016481755042342&type=1&l=53978d8de0

Booking: http://strawworks.co.uk/all-our-courses/

adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest another doom prep ?

Fire always concerns me somewhat, fire precautions have already been discussed, and I presume that you will insure against fire and other perils in the usual way.

Might I suggest an additional "just in case" prep in case of fire in an uncertain future in which insurance is not available.
Consider a detached outbuilding that could be lived in case of an emergency.
This could serve as a store, workshop, barn, stable or other facility whilst times are normal.
It should be equipped with cold water piped to a sink, basic electric lighting from a small and cheap PV system, a basic toilet perhaps a composting type, and a solid fuel stove.
Folding or flat packed beds and spare bedding and other supplies should be stored. Even basic tents, awnings or gazebos stored now would provide valuable extra living or storage space in an emergency
Don't make it look too like a bungalow or cottage to avoid attraction unwanted attention from TPTB.

In a true doom situation you might also need this facility for friends, relatives, or staff.
Do not even think about allowing anyone to live in it whilst times are normal.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst not for living/sleeping, we basically have all of that! We have a large barn on site and one of the first things I did before we started the house build was to build a first floor 'site office' and ground floor kitchen in the barn. It has cold water, PV etc. and we have an excellent compost toilet on site.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, IMO, who knows what mishaps may occur in an uncertain future.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got an "almost PassivHaus" potting shed about 5m square with a composting loo/shower block next door with PV powered lighting and a rocket stove cob bench in the making. That could be very comfortable during the winter!
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
We've got an "almost PassivHaus" potting shed about 5m square with a composting loo/shower block next door with PV powered lighting and a rocket stove cob bench in the making. That could be very comfortable during the winter!

Great idea, worth stealing.

To derail the thread ever-so-slightly-but-not-really, what do people think of the idea of advertising for 'free' lodgers to help tend gardens/food etc? Along the lines of minimal hours (2 a day/15 a week ish), share the food grown, free accommodation/services? I saw one such advertised recently and I'd been thinking about offering this in the future, once I have separate accommodation in place.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the right person and it could be a good idea, Em. It's something that I've thought about.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get told I'm looking for slave labour but I would have taken an opportunity like it when younger, if it occurred. 10-15 hours a week leaves plenty of time for a part-time money earner (busking?).
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had Barbara Jones of Straw Works on site the last few days, running a lime rendering course. Amazing material to work with and a brilliant teacher. We're using non-hydraulic lime (fat lime); the key coat is a lime rich 1:2 ratio and the body coat 1:3 with chopped hemp. Hessian embedded in the body coat on all the trick bits (material transitions and around the corners of windows/doors). Then it gets a few coats of white wash.

She's back later in the month for an internal clay plastering course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: