PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brexit process
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 352, 353, 354, 355  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
And yet they still want endless Poles being subsidised by the EU [do your research] to take UK jobs..

Some of them do. If their manifesto is pro-immigration they will get slaughtered in the lab-tory marginals which will decide this election. We need to see what makes it into the manifesto. Ignore the noise.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/16/election-2019-london-polls-show-lib-dem-surge

Tories clinging on... despite liberal surge.

Apparently polls looking better for the Tories even on Richmond. Even i thought this was a lost cause!

I suspect fear of a labour government is keeping soft Tory voters in these rich enclaves from going to the liberals.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Labour are going to get f***ed in the metropolitan Remain constituencies by the Lib Dems whilst getting simultaneously f***ed in their Labour heartland Leave constituencies by the Brexit party.

Sounds about right.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Beria3 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/16/election-2019-london-polls-show-lib-dem-surge

Tories clinging on... despite liberal surge.

Apparently polls looking better for the Tories even on Richmond. Even i thought this was a lost cause!

I suspect fear of a labour government is keeping soft Tory voters in these rich enclaves from going to the liberals.

That is just one more example of why this election is so damned hard to call. All sorts of tactical voting going in different places. Some people are voting for or against a Corbyn government, some for or against a tory government, some for or against brexit, and some for or against scottish independence.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
So Labour are going to get f***ed in the metropolitan Remain constituencies by the Lib Dems whilst getting simultaneously f***ed in their Labour heartland Leave constituencies by the Brexit party.

Sounds about right.

Sounds like an oversimplification to me. I still don't believe Labour are in any serious danger from the brexit party anywhere. BXP vote is collapsing nationally. But I do fear for Labour's prospects if their manifesto is pro-immigration. That would be a fatal mistake, and would lead to either a tory majority or a tory-libdem deal.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Little John wrote:

Sounds about right.

Sounds like an oversimplification to me. I still don't believe Labour are in any serious danger from the brexit party anywhere. BXP vote is collapsing nationally. But I do fear for Labour's prospects if their manifesto is pro-immigration. That would be a fatal mistake, and would lead to either a tory majority or a tory-libdem deal.
You can't say, on the basis of current polls, whether the sudden reduction in Brexit party support, countrywide, is due to the fact that their support is no longer being included from constituencies that no longer have a Brexit candidate, but where the remaining support from constituencies where they are standing is being erroneously compared to the national polls for other parties. Or, finally, even if support for the Brexit party from constituencies that no longer have a Brexit party candidate is being included, what effect is the removal of those candidates having on Brexit support? In other words, if the Brexit party is not standing a candidate in your constituency and you are asked by a pollster, if you support the Brexit party, you are hardly likely to answer "yes".

In short, the polls are bollocks in general right now and, in particular reference to the Brexit party, are worse than bollocks in that they are highly likely to be significantly misleading.

What would be of interest to see is what the Brexit party support specifically in constituencies where they are fielding candidates is compared to other parties for said constituencies.

Which is, I suspect, why we are seeing no reporting of that in any mainstream news outlet.

Last edited by Little John on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:

In short, the polls are bollocks in general right now and, in particular reference to the Brexit party, are worse than bollocks in that they are highly likely to be significantly misleading.

All national polls are bollocks. Only constituency-specific polls are likely to be less bollocks, but even those are probably bollocks too. I do not believe the polling companies have either the data or the models required to scale their 1000-2000 samples up to a higher level.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gov did one recently UE.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7693945/DAN-HODGES-meets-young-Remainers-Brexiteers-waging-civil-war-Canterbury.html

This article confirms why I don't see a big Tory majority (much as I would like such an outcome!) - this will be a closer election for the reasons factored in Dan article.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Beria3 wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7693945/DAN-HODGES-meets-young-Remainers-Brexiteers-waging-civil-war-Canterbury.html

This article confirms why I don't see a big Tory majority (much as I would like such an outcome!) - this will be a closer election for the reasons factored in Dan article.

The key question is how many people will make their decision based on brexit/no-brexit and how many will make their decision based on tory/anti-tory and Corbyn/anti-Corbyn. And nobody knows the answer, which will be different in every constituency.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1196097689701822464

Interesting thread.

Not looking good for labour although I agree a mini surge to labour at the end is likely.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Ch4 - seems like the lib dems are now the fiscally tightest party compared to the Tories or Labour.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
The key question is how many people will make their decision based on brexit/no-brexit and how many will make their decision based on tory/anti-tory and Corbyn/anti-Corbyn. And nobody knows the answer, which will be different in every constituency.

Yes, agree with this. My feeling, without any specific data, is that Brexit is actually slipping down the hierarchy of concerns. This would be to Labour's advantage, but doubt it'll be enough to prevent a reasonable Tory majority.

Labour's best hope for preventing that is a strong performance in the debates.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup tonight will be key.

Will be interesting to see how the two leaders perform.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7700887/Voters-like-Jo-Swinson-according-new-poll.html

Looks like Jo Swinson is the May of this election.

Lib dem poll ratings are slowly sinking and the more voters see her the less they like her.

Quote:
as all parties ramp up their campaigning and try to grab the spotlight with eye-catching policies, the Lib Dem leader's popularity has sagged.

A quarter of voters still like her, but half now hold an unfavorable view, implying that those who did not initially know Ms Swinson have been dismayed with what they have now seen of her.

The findings pour cold water over the party's presidential style campaign which has put the leader front and centre - its battle-bus is etched with the words 'Jo Swinson's Lib Dems' alongside her image.

Personally, I find her quite irritating. She has a smug "Heads Girl" attitude which she knows best and the rest of us are thickos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 352, 353, 354, 355  Next
Page 353 of 355

Jump to: