PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brexit process
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I thought it was already clear we're pretty much locked into BINO territory now? 11 months isn't enough time and no deal isn't an option.

We could be in a very unfamiliar place politically in 11 months if Starmer makes a decent job of Labour leader and Johnson delivers BINO.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I thought it was already clear we're pretty much locked into BINO territory now? 11 months isn't enough time and no deal isn't an option.
Here we go... Why is no deal not an option?
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
clv101 wrote:

We could be in a very unfamiliar place politically in 11 months if Starmer makes a decent job of Labour leader and Johnson delivers BINO.
Your assumption being that he can?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
clv101 wrote:

Same reasons it hasn't been an option for the last few years. See above in this thread, nothing to be gained in rehashing. Other opinions are obviously available, I just don't think they are credible.
Little John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Little John wrote:
clv101 wrote:

Same reasons it hasn't been an option for the last few years. See above in this thread, nothing to be gained in rehashing. Other opinions are obviously available, I just don't think they are credible.
Bullshit. The reason it has not been an option in the last 3 years is due to political intransigence. In case you hadn't noticed, politics has changed. Keep this bullshit up and folks like you will get to find out how much it can change still further,
cubes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
clv101 wrote:

I doubt we'll get BINO. Imo we'll get the barest of deals then on 1 Jan 2021 turn around to the USA and sign whatever has been put in front of us to show "Look! We can get deals!". Half the country will go vegetarian/vegan to avoid shitty quality US meats that can't be labels with their country of origin due to the trade deal.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we already have Halal meat widely unlabelled in the UK
Little John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
Well we already have Halal meat widely unlabelled in the UK
You should shut your racist, potty mouth for the sake of "diversity" and "inclusion" you bad person
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
Half the country will go vegetarian/vegan to avoid shitty quality US meats that can't be labels with their country of origin due to the trade deal.

Is it "can't be labeled" or does not have to be labeled? American producers are quite proud of their product and will not only claim country and state of origin but will add in specifics such as grass fed , free range, Organic, etc.
I prefer Omaha feed lot finished USDA choice or prime myself but I'm not a organic food nut.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job we haven't mentioned where the BSE and F&M escaped from..
Catweazle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:

"This Beef comes from finest Beef fed Beef...."
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
fuzzy wrote:

"This Beef comes from finest Beef fed Beef...."

and your beef is ?
cubes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
cubes wrote:
Half the country will go vegetarian/vegan to avoid shitty quality US meats that can't be labels with their country of origin due to the trade deal.

Is it "can't be labeled" or does not have to be labeled? American producers are quite proud of their product and will not only claim country and state of origin but will add in specifics such as grass fed , free range, Organic, etc.
I prefer Omaha feed lot finished USDA choice or prime myself but I'm not a organic food nut.

I believe the stuff submitted to the US government by the agriculture lobby said no geographical origin information. All US meat will be seen in the same way by the UK public no matter how good the source so it's the only way it'll be sold outside of ready meals otherwise.

After brexit small farmers in the ukare in deep trouble. Unlikely to get subsidies that help them (only larger corporate agriculture) and many will end up having to sell. In fact, it may be 5 years of big problems for all smaller businesses.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cubes"][quote="vtsnowedin"]
cubes wrote:

I believe the stuff submitted to the US government by the agriculture lobby said no geographical origin information. All US meat will be seen in the same way by the UK public no matter how good the source so it's the only way it'll be sold outside of ready meals otherwise.

Which agriculture lobby submitted terms to the US government? The UK can certainly set any rules they desire on an imported product. The US exporters can either comply or sell their product elsewhere.
A farm I am antiquated with recently sold some soybeans to (I believe) Vietnam. Every truck load was tested by an inspector before it was loaded into the shipping containers for weight, seed size and purity.
Set any standard you want and US producers will meet it. But yes small producers in the UK will be hurt by the competition. That is just the way of the world.
stumuz1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
But yes small producers in the UK will be hurt by the competition.

Not if they have read PowerSwitch these years!

The future for high quality food production is local, not international.

There is, and will always be, an insatiable demand, for high quality, cyclical organic, pesticide free food.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361  Next
Page 358 of 361

Jump to: