PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK firm designs 'world's most affordable solar lamp'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: UK firm designs 'world's most affordable solar lamp' Reply with quote

UK firm designs 'world's most affordable solar lamp':
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39997859

UK design consultancy has teamed up with a giant Chinese manufacturer to produce what they say is the world's most affordable solar lamp. Manchester-based firm Inventid designed the SM100 solar light, which retails for $5 (3.85) in African countries. It was developed in collaboration with China's Yingli and charity Solar Aid. The hand-sized lamp runs for eight hours when fully charged. As well as a stand, it has strap slots so it can be used as a head torch or tied to a bike. The SM100 was trialled with 9,000 families in three African countries, Malawi, Uganda, and Zambia, and the new light is now on sale. Kerosene burning lamps remain the sole source of lighting for some 600 million people living without electricity in Africa. But they are expensive to run and there is the constant danger of potential fires.

Continues.....
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly an interesting development, it remains to be seen if these lamps live up to the claims and hopes.

I have seen regrettable numbers of cheap solar powered lamps and lanterns that have failed to live up to expectations regarding run time per charge and calendar life of the battery.
Others have failed to withstand the rigours of use in basic dwellings in a developing country.

Hopefully these will do better.

As is often the case, the reports contained little technical detail.
Type and capacity of battery ? I suspect a single lithium AA cell, but that is my opinion, facts would be better.

How many daily cycles will the battery last for ? Cost of replacement ?

Dimensions and electrical rating of PV module ? Perhaps the small hand held modules that are shown in one picture. Probably about 5 watts, but data is preferable to my guess.

Wattage of light source, probably less than a watt, but figures would be better than my guesswork. Total light output in lumens ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: