PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update from the Archdruid Greer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think all those rich kleptocrats would want their minimum wage surfs sent out first to provide all the creature comforts , pampering and to keep the floors swept , in just the same way as Douglas Adams wrote of the Golgafrincham arks that were sent out full of hairdressers and telephone santisers to provide the same but in reality getting rid of a useless third of their population. Now all we have to do is to convince those kleptocrats that any "new world" will need to have a functioning banking system , stock markets and hedge funds before the general populace set foot upon that world...
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new world will be so far away that it will be a one way trip; it will take so long to get there that by the time that the travellers get there they won't get back in a life time or the life time of those left behind on earth. And the earth will likely be so trashed by the kleptocracy that they wouldn't want to come back anyway.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to happen.

None of these rockets will ever get of Earth.

Space travel for humans is over.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it more likely than not we'll see a Chinese man on the moon within a decade.

I think it unlikely there will ever be a human on Mars.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with LB3 & clv101.

It's kinda neat that putting someone on the moon near-enough coincided with Hubbert's analysis of oil discovery in the states.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'm inclined to agree that at least in my lifetime we'll probably not see humans on mars , to a person who can remember watching moon landings as an enthralled small child and has since been brought up on sci-fy and it's miriade of alien races and worlds the suggestion that we'll never go seems almost a heresy.
However , one thing that does make me think that an attempt at least will be made is Kennedy's speech back in the sixties. I can't directly remember the speech but have seen at least the relavent part on tv a number of times . He spoke of going not because it was easy but because it was hard but he didn't say they would be going because it was necessary or helpful to the human race and it's for that reason I think at some point someone will attempt it. Not because of any real need but more for the fame and ego.
Apologies to LB3 for going off topic.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it wasn't hard. That's the point. The industrial world was swimming in hydrocarbons, climate change was not on the radar and the world population was at least a third smaller than it is now.

It is incredibly hard now and will, in due course will become, for all practical purposes, impossible
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understand what you mean about it being harder now with all the problems you've mentioned and do agree but I'm not sure that argument will deter further research or moves being made in that direction. There are methods of powering a ship across space that don't involve hydrocarbons such as the idea of nuclear pulse propulsion , project Orion for example which doesn't sound frankly wonderful but is the sort of thing I wouldn't be surprised to see revisited.
As I said I don't think I'll live to see a man on mars , which if all goes well should be the next thirty to forty years , but I also wouldn't be surprised to see shedloads of time , money and resources thrown at such a project.
boisdevie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:

As I said I don't think I'll live to see a man on mars , which if all goes well should be the next thirty to forty years , but I also wouldn't be surprised to see shedloads of time , money and resources thrown at such a project.
- I think you'll find we're run out of money and we're rapidly running out of resources.

I suspect you still believe in all that Star Trek bullshit which really is nothing but a modern day religion - i.e. daft ideas based on no visible evidence.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I believe in it all , at least not in the star trek , Star Wars , and all the Hollywood offering type of way . More that the idea that humanity is going to populate outer space has become so ingrained in our culture by now that I have a least an open mind about it , although my skeptacism and cynacism grow with the passing years . I agree with the comments about us running out of money and resources but really don't see that meaning someone somewhere is prepared to put those scant resources into such a thing. Even without any attempt to go to another planet there are those who ignore the resource depletion problems and are concentrating on building ever more airport runways , increasing travel and worldwide trade , those who believe in ever more growth , they are the sort of people who will see space travel as the next "big thing".
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ecosophia.net/our-shoggoths-ourselves/

Greer's latest comments;

Quote:
Pack, I think that’s an important part of it. It seems to me, though, that very often what lies behind that frantic concern with another person’s opinions is a recognition that one’s own opinions have serious problems. I’ve noted here in the past that the more dogmatically somebody pushes a religion, a technology, or a diet on others, the more unsatisfactory the religion, technology, or diet inevitably turns out to be; I’ve come to think that the same is true of politics, and that the reason so many people are demanding absolute submission to their political agenda is that none of the options being marketed right now, from the social-justice left straight through the corrupt corporate middle to the populist right, have any worthwhile responses to offer to the crises of our time.

Quote:
El, that’s a question that’s been much on my mind of late. Why is it so important to so many people on the left, for example, to insist that the people who voted against their candidate can only have had monstrously evil motives? Why do they get so frantic and abusive when you question that highly dubious claim?

Quote:
Tom, it’s particularly comforting to look for scapegoats rather than solutions if you personally benefit from policies you claim to hate. I suspect that’s a lot of what motivates the quest for shoggoths on the privileged end of the left — neoliberal economic policies have paid off very well for the privileged classes generally, so it’s to the advantage of privileged liberals to find ways to go through the motions of opposing those policies without actually doing anything to change them. Shrieking insults at your political opponents is one time-honored way to do that.

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a TV program recntly on the private industry race into space and some of that seems to be moved by the realisation that we are running out of resources here on earth and that there are "unlimited" resources circling around the sun in the form of asteroids. The thought of "mining" these asteroids, bringing the "stuff" back to earth and the profits there from is driving this research.

The fuel for this would be hydrogen which can be obtained sustainably from water and sunlight both here and in space and the rockets would be reusable. Some of the companies can now launch and retrieve a rocket to the same launch pad already and they are looking at vehicles with a payload of 150 tonnes. How many landings with 150 tonnes of, I presume, ready processed raw metals would be required to keep our civilisation going I do not know but I suspect it would be in the region of several hundred a day, given the number of half mile long, 1000 tonne trains that traverse the earth each day.

How all this extra water vapour bought in from space going into the full height of the atmosphere is going to affect the climate and rainfall I don't think anyone has thought about yet. There is also the danger of asteroids which have had their equilibrium disturbed by a change of mass and the shove from all those rocket takeoffs and landings changing orbit and either falling out of orbit and whizzing into the earth's orbit or bumping into others and sending them into the earth's orbit. We have enough near misses at the moment to make scientists, governments and pundits worry about an earth destroying asteroid strike without greedy corporations blundering around in the asteroid belt.
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Greerist note, here is my big picture analysis of the Austrian elections, with lots of Greerist references thrown in Smile

https://forecastingintelligence.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/the-resurrection-of-the-austro-hungarian-empire/
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ecosophia.net/field-guide-thoughtstoppers/

Greer's latest.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the best I have read. The man is on fire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: