PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth storing sweet fizzy drinks ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth storing sweet fizzy drinks ? Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
The excessive consumption of fizzy and sugary drinks is generally accepted as being unwise for reasons of weight gain and dental decay.

I wonder however if a stock of these products might be prudent for emergencies.
They consist largely of water, potentially very valuable if drinking water is unavailable. The price per litre is often lower than bottled water.

The sugar content would provide useful extra calories if food was in short supply.

Carbonated beverages are preferable for long term storage since if it is still fizzy when opened that gives reassurance that the container was pressure tight and the contents therefore not contaminated.

I would prefer cans to plastic bottles as the bottles admit light which may cause spoilage and the plastic may be slightly pervious.

Considering this was posted on the preparations forum and while I generally agree with the comments about agriculture I still can't help thinking that the idea does have some merit. On other forums I use there are those who talk of storing alcohol and tobacco , both of which are known for their health hazards , but also known for their use as trading commodities. Sweet fizzy drinks could easily become the "small change" of a barter system.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case any of you buy bottled water, you should read this report and hopefully you may think again.

Most on this board are obviously too sensible to buy bottled water. Laughing
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy bottled water to store for emergency use, but don't use it normally, tap water is much cheaper in both money and environmental cost.

I buy the fizzy tap water in glass bottles.
Glass is IMO preferable to plastic as it can not leach anything into the water.
Fizzy water is preferable to still because the internal pressure prevents any ingress by impurities, and the presence of pressure when the bottle is opened assures one that it has remained sealed.

I only keep enough for a week or two, after that I would have to purify stored rain water of which I have thousands of litres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: