PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is America approaching 1984?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
Maybe the question should be "Will britain get there first?"

The consequences of Amber Rudd’s decision to ignore the courts

Quote:
Because of Boris Johnson’s behaviour there’s one story that hasn’t received the attention it deserves and that is the story of Amber Rudd being held in contempt of court

Could you say what you mean there Cubes instead of sending me off on a clickbait search.
A little cut and past could bring up what you want us to consider without us having to wade to a lot of preliminaries.
I have no idea who the two names above are and I'm not going to search them out unless you give me an interesting point to start from.
I know that sounds both crabby and lazy but I am old, cranky, crabby, and lazy so have quite an attitude.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudd is home secretary and Johnson is foreign secretary. The home office ignored court rulings not to repatriate an Afghan asylum seeker three times, so the complaint is that Rudd is in contempt of court and should be jailed. Johnson has published his own brexitt strategy ahead of the prime minister s own formal statement and seen as a direct challenge to her leadship and she should fire him.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I can't be bothered to follow any party politics in the UK either, and I haven't watched any official news programming for years.

Basically vt, there are trigger words in UK politics. If you see Rudd, Johnson, Gove, Hunt, Blair, Cooper in a story you are dealing with careerist press feeders. The rest are generally in it for the money [or worse, think they are useful]
fuzzy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some UK style politics:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/21/silent-peers-one-seven-lords-claimed-13m-allowances-despite/
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently completed reading a "Short history of England" . A 795 page tomb published in 1935 as a textbook I rescued from the libraries recycle bin. Along with some revealing sections on the evolution of the Episcopalian and Presbyterian churches it did a good job ,in early twentieth century style suitable for schoolboy readers of laying out the creation of the houses of Parliament and their changing roles over the years.
Did you know when women were first given the vote the voting age for women was thirty while for men it was twenty one? Or that Bishops used to hold many of the seats in the house of Lords?
The book written by an American college professor has of course it's weaknesses, it covers the Great war (WW1) in three pages without mentioning the numbers killed or wounded and the consequences of the loss of so many men not to mention the capital.
Apparently England did not have anything like the roaring twenties in the USA but went right into economic depression after the armistice which only got worse when the great depression of 1929 came along. And the author seemed to be totally oblivious of the causes and events around Europe that were rapidly bringing about the coming WW2.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Or that Bishops used to hold many of the seats in the house of Lords?

They still do! 26 bishops in the House of Lords:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_Spiritual
cubes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Could you say what you mean there Cubes instead of sending me off on a clickbait search.
A little cut and past could bring up what you want us to consider without us having to wade to a lot of preliminaries.
I have no idea who the two names above are and I'm not going to search them out unless you give me an interesting point to start from.
I know that sounds both crabby and lazy but I am old, cranky, crabby, and lazy so have quite an attitude.

Sorry, maybe I could have done more.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
alas, more threats, grandstanding, romanticising war and another desperate attempt at keeping a dying world order standing, even if for only a bit longer

Source: When Trump and Obama sounded the same
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: