PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Korean EMP attack would wipe out America...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: North Korean EMP attack would wipe out America... Reply with quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5012655/North-Korea-wipe-90-cent-population.html

I wonder if America realises how much damage Kim could do if he has the ability to detonate a EMP bomb over America.

The most terrifying thing for me is the implosion of the nuclear power stations within a week. Scary stuff.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not normally take reports in that newspaper very seriously, however this is potentially very serious, broadly similar reports have appeared for some years in more reputable media.

A large scale EMP attack on any developed nation would in effect end the modern era, for some years at least and possibly permanently.
The immediate effect would be a regression to about 100 years ago, perhaps worse.
Many older technologies would still work as would SOME new technologies, the problem would be the limited availability of older technology equipment.

Take as an example transport.
Older road vehicles should still run for as long as fuel can be obtained, but the number of such vehicles is very limited and declines each year.
A handful of vintage aircraft might be serviceable after replacement of ignition components.
Steam railway locomotives would run as normal, but how many of those are in working order ? There would of course be no modern rail signalling.

Horses would be unaffected.

Modern communications would largely cease.

Most of the population in developed countries would perish in a few months.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a read something a few years ago saying, pretty convincingly that the nuclear-EMP risk was overblown. There was a lot of research during the cold war into EMP as a way of defeating the enemy without the infrastructure damage and radiation... But it ended up not being that effective.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world has however changed since those days, with far more reliance on modern electronics and communications.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group who wrote that report, iirc, had just had their funds cut.

Mandy Rice-Davies springs to mind.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern gas powered cars today would be hopeless after an EMP strike as they don't have an old style carburetor to press back into service after the computer chips get fried. But I wonder about the diesel engines out there, are they as susceptible to EMP as the gas jobs? As far as I know my diesel tractor is pretty much all mechanical except having the fuel pump shut off by turning the key off instead of the traditional off lever that ran down to the injector pump to shut off an old style diesel. So if an EMP strike wiped out my computers , phones and cars I might be able to start and run my tractor but have trouble shutting it off. A shut off valve between the fuel pump and the injector pump could be added that would do the job for maybe couple of bucks. Same thing on diesel electric locomotives, I don't think it would take long to jury rig a set of mechanical controls and get them up and running.
Here is hoping that fleet owners have thought this out and have plans and the parts in hand to keep running if some fool attacks us this way.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diesel is computer controlled injection and will not start without it. However, I am not sure that chips are as sensitive as they used to be. I thought the main problem was induced power surges in long overhead cables blowing everything in your house connected to the grid. My parents house suffered this when a nearby power cable was struck by lightning. The fridge, video recorder and cooker were fried, but they were on holiday and my dad had unplugged every thing else.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I think a read something a few years ago saying, pretty convincingly that the nuclear-EMP risk was overblown. There was a lot of research during the cold war into EMP as a way of defeating the enemy without the infrastructure damage and radiation... But it ended up not being that effective.

There is also the ultimate capitalist weapon in the form of the neutron bomb rumored to kill people but leave property unscathed.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrespective of what an EMP could do the key thing to me is "if he had the ability" . What's the likelihood of NK having a delivery system that could knock out most of North America?
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a more realistic option for the North Koreans would be to drop a EMP bomb on South Korea.

It would fry the South Korean and American military forces systems along with the whole of South Korea.

North Korea could then invade and take advantage of the chaos.

The Cold War was decades ago.

Surely we must all agree that our society is far more technologically dependent then even 10 or 20 years ago.

I would not rely on EMP studies going back to the 80's.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:

There is also the ultimate capitalist weapon in the form of the neutron bomb rumored to kill people but leave property unscathed.

The banks have developed an even more insidious weapon that does the same thing. It's called "a mortgage" Twisted Evil
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
Irrespective of what an EMP could do the key thing to me is "if he had the ability" . What's the likelihood of NK having a delivery system that could knock out most of North America?

Not great IMO. I strongly suspect a cyber attack would be a more likely bet than an EMP one.

It's the age old propaganda technique of over-hyping an enemies strengths in order to justify spending shedloads on highly dubious "defence measures" that are quite probably impractical and useless.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberry-blower wrote:
Potemkin Villager wrote:

The banks have developed an even more insidious weapon that does the same thing. It's called "a mortgage" Twisted Evil

The more reliable weapon is a nursing home bill. Evil or Very Mad
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this mad theory that that might be the reason so many governments are anti-euthanasia. If I knew I was fading I'd want to "quit while I was ahead", allowing the next generation of Renewables - because well-paying jobs are so scarce these days - the certainty of a roof over their heads.

If I "had to go into a home" basically the banksters would clean up. The folk who actually do the work in those homes (I know a few) are paid a pittance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: