PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 phase electricity, split from housebuilding
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a logic to having a requirement for 3 phase over a certain level of generation. Where I grew up we had three phase (415V) in the house, but my father later worked for the IEEE in writing the 16th edition regulations and was at the time an electrical contractor so it is not surprising.

I don't know to what extent the different phases were used in the property, but I have used my experience in rewiring properties in the late 70s since them on a number of occasions in sorting out more recent problems with wiring.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
Thanks for the info, you have a lot of knowledge! In this age of comms and many low powered appliances, different phases seems a recipe for hums and noise. I think I read that about 30% of houses still have lighting without earth [mine included]. A recent bathroom move required a very laid back electrician.
Laid back? Shocked
I wouldn't install anything in a bath or food preparation area that didn't employ ground wire and Ground fault interrupters at either the breaker box or the individual outlets.

Yes, there are ways of making bubbles of modern safety on the back of 2 wire lighting installs by fitting a 'Ground fault interrupter' [residual-current circuit breaker is the UK jargon]. As noted, we aren't allowed any sockets in bathrooms. Our wearedodgy is not as old as the main house wiring, it's '16th edition' standard [1990s] in UK jargon. I once did a course on the US NEC wiring regs, and they seemed a lot more logical than our IEE version.
As a comparison, our brick and block housing is often very disruptive to rewiring. Modern houses UK are made with flimsy floor joists but at least with preformed holes on centre, for services.

I hear you on the brick and block. Try wiring a solid log log cabin.You can do a lot with mop boards with a routed out grove on their back side or a chair rail with the same grove.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: