PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preps found wanting, or sufficient in current severe weather
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Preps found wanting, or sufficient in current severe weather Reply with quote

Just wondering how members, and friends and family are coping with the current exceptional weather.

I am nearly out of logs only enough left for about a week, but plenty of coal so OK for heating apart from the regrettable carbon emissions.
Ample paraffin left, have used about 30 litres.

Living room warm enough, though I have never before had the stove so hot for so long.
Rest of the house just about tolerable, but at the price of considerable off peak electricity consumption, and more paraffin used than normal.

Out of fresh food, but ample non perishable stores, including port and chocolate.

Several short power cuts, but no real problems, UPS worked fine.

Ample warm clothing and bedding. Long underwear in use. FOUR blankets on my bed, two or three are generally sufficient.

Last edited by adam2 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down to my last box of logs, but I ordered a delivery of compressed wood chip 'logs' two weeks ago. Oil for the central heating should last 6-8 weeks, by which I hope the price should have moderated a bit. No power cuts here, the parish council gritted the pavements, and the roads are mostly clear of snow. Village shop stocked to normal levels, supermarkets still delivering. Put N extra duvet on the bed.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are doing fine although I'll have four log stores to fill by the end of winter. Hopefully the cold will have reduced the number of insect pests for the summer so growing next winter's stores will be easier.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My office is a bit chilly but four layers suffice and I can still put on a hat if I feel cold!

My daughter and her family have gone out looking for a slope to sledge down. The only one we've got ended up with the kids in a bramble patch.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cold weather indoor wear I have found Cornish fisherman's smocks to be most useful garments.

I purchased from this supplier
http://thesmockshop.com/product/crew-neck-fishermans-smock/

Whom are actual makers of the garments, not just sellers, they can therefore make custom sizes to order. I had to order a larger than standard size, due to stoutness and also slightly longer than the standard size as I am tall as well as stout.

The smocks are very durable and almost indestructible in use, at least I have yet to bust or rip one Smile
If purchased in a big enough size they are a loose comfortable fit over other warm clothing.
I am wearing one right now, over a long sleeved vest and a heavy brushed cotton shirt.
Being 100% heavy cotton they are shower resistant to a limited degree but not suitable for wet conditions.

Whilst to a degree they serve a similar purpose to an overall coat/warehouse coat, They are casual enough to wear to the pub or shop.
I would not normally wear an overall coat outside of the workplace or home.

I confirm that I have no connection with the above firm.
Other suppliers exist, but most are retailers not the actual maker.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor huge double glazed windows in our 60s detached, showing weak points. We will replace incrementally, although I doubt we will see much payback. Personally, I would reduce their sizes. We could do with rendering the front + side of the house. Plenty of food supplies, but burning substantial gas. If there was power cuts/broken CH, we retain a gas fire with central chimney block and a gas oven. I have a spare fridge/freezer which soldiers on in the prefab garage. Always full of food if it's in use. I go to shops at odd hours and get short date meat bargains.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memo to self: finally get around to lagging or relocating cold water mains feed pipe to cistern above attic insulation! Flow stopped yesterday and came back on today with 5C outside now luckily with no damage. Ample bottled water and rain water stored to tide us over.

Stocks of dark chocolate and whiskey very low and hopefully should be ok to venture out and replenish tomorrow ( otherwise plenty of food including kale and leeks in the ground.)

Electric blankets and loads of bottled gas, logs, turf and coal so snug as bugs in a rug.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got smaller replacement windows, Fuzzy, you could infill either side of the smaller window with an insulated timber fame with either tile hanging or weather/shiplap boarding on the outside. That would be fairly cheap to do and would give you better insulation than the existing wall in all probability. If you used 50 x 50 studs instead of 100 x 50, one of the inside of the wall and one on the outside with an insulated gap between, that would improve things even further.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
For cold weather indoor wear I have found Cornish fisherman's smocks to be most useful garments.

My better half has made me a wonderful thick wool poncho, that sounds along similar lines to this, augmented with a snood and a selection of colourful woolly hats. I swear by snoods.

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/451274825131159362/
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
If you got smaller replacement windows, Fuzzy, you could infill either side of the smaller window with an insulated timber fame with either tile hanging or weather/shiplap boarding on the outside. That would be fairly cheap to do and would give you better insulation than the existing wall in all probability. If you used 50 x 50 studs instead of 100 x 50, one of the inside of the wall and one on the outside with an insulated gap between, that would improve things even further.

Yes, and you could also conceal some long term emergency supplies within the void.
Gold, candles, doomfood, ammo.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still merrily sawing up logs. I've found that food is an excellent substitute for heating as long as keep moving. However, that's no good if Marvellous Other 1/2 decides to work at home: he's used to it being warmer than 14 degC indoors!

Our doorstep milk delivery didn't arrive this morning, and when I nipped to the Co-Op to get some there was neither organic milk nor ANY crisps! So now we're battening down for the Apocalypse.

Oh and I finally found a source of proper sheepskin slippers:

https://www.sheepskinworld.co.uk/ladies-taylor-lambswool-moccasin-with-hard-sole---navy-2093-p.asp

I even left a review Smile
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:

Yes, and you could also conceal some long term emergency supplies within the void.
Gold, candles, doomfood, ammo.

And fix folding shutters to the outside for warmth and protection (steel lined for that).
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

I am wearing one right now, over a long sleeved vest and a heavy brushed cotton shirt.

Is not a" long sleeved vest "a contradiction in terms? Smile
A bit of a Nor Easter here today but it is under performing the forecast with just two inches so far this morning. About a foot of snow on the ground average as this week has been above freezing a lot and it has been melting.
Down to the last cord of wood under the deck and a 1.75 liter bottle of #7 sour mash in the cupboard along with three bottles of wine. Fuel tanks (tractor and emergency generator) over half full and freezers and food shelves about 75%. I probably will have to plow the road after the snow stops as the daughter is driving a rental SUV with "All season tires" instead of the studded snows on her car which is in the body shop after hitting a deer last month.
One of the neighbors salvaged the deer which was good as I still have plenty.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read that your entire East Coast is in for a 'Bomb Cyclogenesis' of unusually huge size.

We've a lull in the snow at the mo but due freezing rain tonight.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things seem to be getting back to normal, weather wise, next week so I presume the split in the Arctic Vortex has healed or is healing and that the West Coast of the US will warm and the East Coast get cold again just as our weather warms up as well.

I went out last night to get three more round bales of hay for the cattle and the Discovery, with chunky road tyres, and trailer performed really well. I had to take a diversion on the way home along a single width rough track across country but the only problem I had was going down hill in low ratio second gear where I slide for about twenty metres before the wheels gripped again. Luckily no one was coming the other way. I should be OK for cattle feed for at least a couple or three days (fingers crossed!).

VT, a vest in the UK is an undergarment not a wescot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: