PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exit plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leroy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: exit plans Reply with quote

I know that this isn't the cheeriest of subjects but here goes. A couple of years ago I read something on Dark Mountain Project about the likely prospects for many of us being predation, starvation or suicide. Was wondering how many Powerswitchers had given this serious thought or made any preparations?

For myself I read a book called '5 Last Acts' and considered the techniques suggested for self-deliverance. In the end I put together a little kit of (legally obtained) pharmaceuticals with a good shelf life which should be serviceable for many years ahead. I did think about partial suspension hanging techniques and could work if given no other option.

I have no immediate plans here and hope that life continues to be worthwhile for some time to come, but feel having this 'ultimate prep' at my disposal gives me some real peace of mind going forward into a likely rough future. Working in healthcare, including oncology and care of the elderly has acquainted me well with the process of dying unpleasantly and I know that a peaceful and dignified ending would be preferable.

Anyone else gone this far? It seems like an obvious step to me beyond food storage and growing a garden. Perhaps not so obvious to those with kids and perhaps requiring a psychological leap, but a sound choice to my mind.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Taking one's own life because life has become tough is the easy way out. But, then, I suppose, those of who do have the will to survive, no matter what, should be grateful for those who do not since they will free up valuable resources.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leroy wrote:
Quote:
I did think about partial suspension hanging techniques and could work if given no other option.

It is interesting to see what alternative methods of suicide are used in gun free Briton. Americans that own guns just go to the gun cabinet and pick the one that will leave the least mess for the family to clean up.
My biggest fear is having a stroke or heart attack that leaves me in a wheel chair in a nursing home unable to get away from the "care" and or make my own decisions.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over dose of painkillers or sleeping tablets is probably the most common means of ending it in the UK.
Carbon monoxide poisoning and jumping from high places or in front of trains are other ways.
In rural areas, shotguns are sometimes used.
leroy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
the easy way out

Precisely what I'd be looking for if facing famine or severe social breakdown. Like I said, watching many people die in agony and/or without dignity has lead me to think that there is no reason not to seek out a quiet, peaceful death. Each to there own I guess, I can't see any moral failing either way. Not sure that committing suicide is in many cases an easy thing to do anyway and can take real courage.

VT: yup guns could be useful in this endeavour.

A2: not so sure about the painkillers or sleeping tabs. Barbiturates have been very hard to come by for decades. Look at the crooked trade in Nembutal from Mexico, Norway or whatever. More likely to wake up in hospital with no liver function or sometimes a very slow, painful death. I think statistically hanging is very much, erm, 'up there' as it were.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being treated for prostate cancer, and having watched my dad and others die of cancer, if the NHS failed and the cancer got to my bones, then a quick exit would be better than being a burden to my family.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chloroform is still legal for the public, although I have no knowledge. Narcotics must be the rolls royce method, but I don't seem to have any Carfentanyl lying around.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypoxia is probably the most comfortable exit method. Just don't use a carb-oxy substance like CO2 or CO, or hydrogen like H2S, or chlorine, and many others. All those have unpleasant effects. Nitrogen is best, as it's common and relatively cheap, and just displaces the oxygen without adverse physiological effects. Administering it is a bit of a problem but maybe an anaesthetic mask would work. My research showed 7 seconds unconscious, 15 seconds dead. You will need a gas bottle and a regulator as well as the mask, and an understanding clear-up team.
leroy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy, I think Nembutal is generally perceived as the Cadillac, but generally sending $700 to Central America does not result in a return product.

Beyond technique, has anyone taken any steps in putting a kit together? Do people think that there is plenty of time in which resources will be available to get the wherewithal together? Or simply that things won't get that bad for a while yet?

Last edited by leroy on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nembutal kills by cardiac arrest. There's plenty of ways to do that that don't require spending $700.

Hemlock Water-dropwort root (Oenanthe crocata) should work just fine. Or a mouthful of yew leaves. Both are easily found. The symptoms leading up to death aren't pleasant, but they are relatively brief, and you can always knock yourself out with sleeping pills and/or booze, eating the plant just before you become incapable of doing so.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is well to be prepared for each of two very different eventualities, firstly for a non survivable collapse of society or alternatively for BAU continuing but one suffering from an incurable illness.

I would prefer a relatively quick and painless death to dying of radiation for example.

And yes I have made preparations for just in case.

Please remember that suicide, or assisting suicide is AGAINST THE LAW. Who cares in the final extremity, but be discreet about discussing such matters whilst times are normal.
leroy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UE, Taxes Baccata (particularly the seeds in the tasty berries) are highly poisonous, as is Water Dropwort. I was in The Priory a few years back and enjoyed pointing out a few specimens to the Psychiatrist in the secure garden. Nembutal, and all the old - school barbs have the advantage of sending one off into a peaceful sleep before haemodynamic problems occur. Point taken that they are readily available, particularly Yew, the Tree of Death. A fermented derivative is one of the best cures for cancer as it goes.

Adam, it's all speculation here until serious civil deterioration comes to pass, at which time the police will have other challenges to contend with.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
Being treated for prostate cancer, and having watched my dad and others die of cancer, if the NHS failed and the cancer got to my bones, then a quick exit would be better than being a burden to my family.
Ah, that's a different matter. I have some sympathy with that notion. If times were tough and I was holding my family back from doing what they had to do to survive, I might try find something to do that was of great value to them, even if it significantly shortened my own life, or put it at great risk. Failing that, is the only circumstance, I guess, where I might consider shuffling off a bit early.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
PS_RalphW wrote:
Ah, that's a different matter. I have some sympathy with that notion. If times were tough and I was holding my family back from doing what they had to do to survive, I might try find something to do that was of great value to them, even if it significantly shortened my own life, or put it at great risk. Failing that, is the only circumstance, I guess, where I might consider shuffling off a bit early.

Death by Mick's pies has got to be the best way in Loftus, surely?
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Nembutal kills by cardiac arrest. There's plenty of ways to do that that don't require spending $700.

Hemlock Water-dropwort root (Oenanthe crocata) should work just fine. Or a mouthful of yew leaves. Both are easily found. The symptoms leading up to death aren't pleasant, but they are relatively brief, and you can always knock yourself out with sleeping pills and/or booze, eating the plant just before you become incapable of doing so.

Nembutal numbs it all but I prefer alcohol.

I am sure a perusal of a botanical text would suggest many other mortifying agents. These natural products also have the advantage of being renewable, having low emissions as well as being vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and not tested on animals. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: