PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rural life without a car
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long do you think you could live for without a car?
A week
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A month
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 6

UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main source of income would be impossible without a car, and my secondary source would become a lot more difficult. Even the "sustainable" bits of it become harder. Today I produced a large estate-car full of "waste" branches and trunks of self-seeded holly and holm oak. I could have got to the job with my bowsaw without a car, but there's no way I could have got the "waste" wood back home to be chopped up for fuel, and since my client doesn't have a woodburner, I'd have probably ended up putting it on the inevitable bonfire just to get rid of it. Sad
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much folk's foraging range would be reduced by adopting say a donkey and cart rather than a car (plus trailer possibly)? Little of what work I still do is car dependent but is internet, and occasionally bus, train and airplane dependent.

Well my chariot is back on the road and subjective distance has hugely shrunk for me again. I am going to make a point of at least having one car fee day a week though. Token gesture? Probably but I have been reminded that not driving and walking/cycling , while the weather is good, is one of those valuable, health enhancing pleasures that mere money cannot buy.

Ironically the first trip I made when I got the car back was to the allotments and community garden I am a member of .This is 5 miles away from my home and several people travel up to 20 miles to get there for our regular Saturday afternoon sessions. One of the things we are about is trying to reduce food miles.

https://www.facebook.com/Ardswalledgarden/
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, why only two options in the poll?
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycled to work today, only the second time since I returned to work last month. I am definitely fit enough now, fatigue has subsided. It is so easy with the electric car, journey times only 25 instead of 45 minutes and so easy and relaxed to drive even in heavy traffic, and so cheap and quiet to run.

Nearest supermarket is 5 miles away, but supermarkets deliver for only a few percent overhead on the product prices, and the village shop has basic food.

Both daughters now get driven long distance to school, as the local giant academy (2200 students) has proven just too scary for my traumatised kids.

It did take accidentally putting petrol in my diesel tank, and utter incompetence by the insurance company (coop) to deprive us of our second car by over a week already.

Bus service into town is ok but expensive.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
I cycled to work today, only the second time since I returned to work last month. I am definitely fit enough now, fatigue has subsided. It is so easy with the electric car, journey times only 25 instead of 45 minutes and so easy and relaxed to drive even in heavy traffic, and so cheap and quiet to run.

Glad to hear you are recovering from the treatment and hope you are generally feeling better Ralph. I am not sure about cycling in heavy traffic though especially when it is snarled up and drivers of ice vehicles frustrated by lack of speedy progress. I cycled into the west end of London to work regularly in the 80s and it was only really safe and pleasurable on a Sunday!

Many cyclists on the narrow roads here insist on proceeding side by side if in pairs making it much harder for cars to get past for some reason. This leads to much unneeded antagonism.

As regards the poll questions Emor, I tried to put in more options but it would only accept two.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:
Many cyclists on the narrow roads here insist on proceeding side by side if in pairs making it much harder for cars to get past for some reason. This leads to much unneeded antagonism.

The accepted answer is that they'll cycle two or more abreast when there's a solid white line down the middle of the road.

As my driving instructor said to me, "Treat a solid white line down the middle of the road as a brick wall."

This is not to say that all cyclists are that sensible and/or aware.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
I fix people’s boilers. If my van stops working, as it has done, earning a living gets a tad difficult.

I'm pretty much in the same situation although I work as a handyman/joiner and working without a van is near impossible . As it is my van has had to stop since someone ran into it on Friday . I'm now borrowing my sister in laws car ( which used to be my wife's) with a trailer to carry tools and materials.
To answer the original question we've survived without having to drive anywhere for a month . We not quite rural , edges of a small town , but we have enough facilities within walking distance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: