PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it quieter here nowadays?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Is it quieter here nowadays? Reply with quote

Hi,

When I left a few years back it was fairly vibrant here.

Just wondering : is it quieter here nowadays?
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quieter on all forums these days. Most of them are dead. This one at least is still alive.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Vortex. Yes it is quieter in numbers contributing but the content is possibly more explosive and is less based around Peak Oil and more about the politics and consequences of more or less expensive oil and its use and more about climate change and the effects therefrom.

We have lost a few long term contributors, unfortunately, some because their views elicited a strong reaction from some members and some because of the seemingly interminable arguments between members with strong opposing views. I suppose you could say that we have lost some of the more liberal contributors while maintaining or gaining those with more decided views. I'm not sure that "decided" is the absolutely right word to use but "extreme" is definitely not the word to replace it although that is the word that the lost liberals would want to use.

Any, welcome back again and we hope to hear more from you.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is quieter. I don't visit as often as I used to, or as often as I'd like to - simple shortage of time over the past year or two. Still good to come back and catch up though!

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a lot of what needs to be said, has already been said.

There is a lot to be said for wood burning stoves, for emergency stocks of food etc, and for solar and wind power, but in the absence of new information, only so much can be said on these and many other subjects.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked membership joining rate ... plummetted since about 2012 ...
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Just checked membership joining rate ... plummetted since about 2012 ...

The vast amount of traffic has shifted away from independent/open platforms like this to the propriety systems of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.

It's sad state of affairs. I'm dramatically cutting back my on-line activity this year (call it a New Year's resolution!), the 'value' just isn't what it used to be, the opportunity cost too high. Every hour spent in front of the screen is an hour not spent in our local family & community.
RevdTess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly it's amazing that this forum has survived for so long with many of the same people. To think it's almost 15 years since I signed up! (The original forum got reset so some of us were actually around pre 2005).

I've become more interested in social dynamics, communities and politics over the years and probably less interested in off-grid stuff, especially as I get older and can't rely on my fitness any more.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tess,

Are you the merchant banker Tess who changed direction TOTALLY?
RevdTess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Hi Tess,

Are you the merchant banker Tess who changed direction TOTALLY?

I was an oil analyst/trader until 2009, became a nun for a couple of years, went back to working for a hedge fund for a bit, then decided to train to be a vicar in 2015... Can't say I have any regrets.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RevdTess wrote:
Honestly it's amazing that this forum has survived for so long with many of the same people. To think it's almost 15 years since I signed up! (The original forum got reset so some of us were actually around pre 2005).

I've become more interested in social dynamics, communities and politics over the years and probably less interested in off-grid stuff, especially as I get older and can't rely on my fitness any more.

Ah yes, the good old days pre-reset! Very Happy

I remember you were our go-to person for understanding the oil markets at the time. I guess now you're our go-to person for spiritual advice in the light of our impending doom!

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An expert on beluef systems? 😲😃
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum as lasted pretty well, I dont see the arguments you used to see . and yup its more quiet than it used to be . it is amazing how we have stayed on it so long Very Happy I dont post that much but look in now and then.

and what of dead peak oil sites like LATOC or the oil drum

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Oil Drum and I still puzzle why it stopped. It even had someone from Australia who posted quite regularly. I think he (BigGav) even has his own blog now.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also post on a US based forum with some really ace people, but I think they closed their membership after a while. Nothing sinister, just the hassle of finding moderators and spambot removers.
I think the UK is a fractured country with 2 or 3 generations of people who understandably don't want to look ahead unless their phone says so. I would like to start some useful prep threads, but if most people under 40 are renting, there are no young entering the discussion. Oldies don't need to advise each other. Anyone tried to give your peak household stuff away? There are no young-uns setting up house to give furniture etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: