PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What (if anything) do you plan to stockpile for Brexit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physical prepping in the UK is difficult.

The place is so densely populated there is nowhere to go to.

Best to stay at home.

Wherever you end up you are within reach of grasping neighbours, local authorities, travelling gangs.

You can only really bury a box of energy bars somewhere near your house.

Anything in your house will be taken.

Sadly we have no guns to balance the equation.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physical prepping in a rental is an unknown, so youngsters are out of luck. I have no kids but we could house a couple of nephews.
If you are lucky enough to have a long term house, then a garage with a freezer, full of goodies bought on short date discount [usually meat, this pays for the freezer purchase over it's life], frozen fruit, [inferior to fresh veg] will be useful for hard times to stay healthy.
Mine has windfall apples, chopped as soon as I get them to remove damage, blackcurrants [the best uk garden fruit as berries tend to get fly infested] and other goodies.
Have a gas oven [these can be hand lit] that doubles as a power cut heat source and could cook your freezer meat even if power became unreliable.
A fridge freezer inside is trickle fed with rotation from the garage freezer
The rest is practical choice.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renter or owner, well heeled or on a tight budget, all can adapt and size their preparations to fit the available space and budget. One closet shelf can hold quite a bit of dry food and canned goods. The space under a bed will also hold a fair amount out of sight and out of the way.
One could start prepping by just keeping a fifty or hundred dollar bill tucked away for emergencies. Then build from there. Enough rice , pasta, canned meat and fish to fill a five gallon pail can be had easy enough just buying one extra item at each shop and adding to pail or shelf. All it takes is one payless payday or a three day power cut to make it worth the trouble.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... grasping neighbours, local authorities, travelling gangs.

They will take your food stocks at gun point, mob guilt point ("I need to feed my babies") or government certificate point ("Sorry mate, the new Communal Food Act has just been activated")

Any solution to this problem?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Quote:

They will take your food stocks at gun point, mob guilt point ("I need to feed my babies") or government certificate point ("Sorry mate, the new Communal Food Act has just been activated")

Privacy and secrecy, they are unlikely to take supplies of which they are unaware and that are not revealed by a search.
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:
Quote:

Privacy and secrecy, they are unlikely to take supplies of which they are unaware and that are not revealed by a search.

Or, join their gang Confused
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Quote:

I'm more concerned with family wanting to eat me out off house and home. Wife mentioned to her sister that we are buying extra just in case. She's not prepared to do the same but she's quite happy to come round for dinner iff there are shortages.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
..... She's not prepared to do the same but she's quite happy to come round for dinner iff there are shortages.

Tell her what you are going to charge. That might put her off!
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister in law has regular medication and this is currently seengly suffering from shortages . It has been on short supply previously but this time the pharmacist has said that brexit is a factor. Despite seeing shortages first hand so to speak she can't see any correlation with potential food shortages .
Talking of charging one of her "excuses" for not laying in a few extra bits and pieces is that " it's not going to save much anyway". Worst thing is if it comes to it we more than likely would help out just because she's family .
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
Worst thing is if it comes to it we more than likely would help out just because she's family .

What, you are not planning to throw her out of the lifeboat?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
My sister in law has regular medication and this is currently seengly suffering from shortages . It has been on short supply previously but this time the pharmacist has said that brexit is a factor. Despite seeing shortages first hand so to speak she can't see any correlation with potential food shortages .
Talking of charging one of her "excuses" for not laying in a few extra bits and pieces is that " it's not going to save much anyway". Worst thing is if it comes to it we more than likely would help out just because she's family .

Why the **** would Brexit be causing shortages already? Only if the pharmaceutical companies are planning to profit from overcharging after Brexit by causing artificial shortages. I wouldn't put that past them at all given their predilection for charging well over the odds for new drugs. Write to your MP to complain about the bastards.

You only have to look at wages in the pharmaceutical industry to see the level of profiteering going on. It's like the oil industry was a decade or so ago.

I hope you told her that it's not about cost but availability. Brexit shortages would be short term but in a true collapse you would have to weigh up who you can feed and what you have against who wants to be fed. Some hard decisions would have to be made.

The ability to work or knowledge held would come into the equation along with what people can bring with them. There is, to an extent, safety in numbers.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there shouldn't be any shortages at the moment . The cynic in me thinks drug companies amongst others are "engineering " shortages n order to hike prices. Thnough whether shortages are real or engineered I see no problem wiith laying in a few extra supplies to at least offset any possible price rises and even if the whole shortage thing is overhyped ( which part of me does believe ) I'm not going to lose out as it 'll all be used at some point.
Sister in law should realise it's about availability with regards to the drug she takes. As I mentioned there have been problems getting it in the past. I'm not sure how the pharmaceutical industry works wiith regards to the supply chain but previously the local. pharmacy has told her that they have needed to approach the manufacturer directly .
fuzzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:

It isn't brexit, but it is something. I have known at least 4 medications that are hard to get at chemists, including prescription migraleve and naproxen, for at least 6 months out the last 12. Something is up.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sisterrr in law takes a HRT called Tridestra but to further cloud the issue my wife also takes a HRT called Indivina which in the past has had supply problems but is currrtently easily available . Perhaps that "something" is simply a badly run industry?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps due to the NHS negotiating the lowest possible prices you have become the lowest priority and last order filled after all more profitable needs have been met? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: