PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planting trees to dry out ground

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Planting trees to dry out ground Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Time to start buying a store of food in as the grain crop this summer will be very small in the UK. Last autumn was very wet and not much winter wheat was planted and this spring looks like farmers won't be able to get on the land either because of the incessant rain. Even if they can get on the land there might not be enough spring seed to sow. Things like field beans might be cheap for us punters to buy though and they will add to fertility for next year.

Trees! A few alders transformed a small patch of our acre from boggy, soggy annoyance to usability.

Perhaps crop farmers should be thinking about trying to produce some (obviously less than they'd like) food by letting trees deal with wet ground - rather than produce little or nothing at all?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Trees! A few alders transformed a small patch of our acre from boggy, soggy annoyance to usability.

Perhaps crop farmers should be thinking about trying to produce some (obviously less than they'd like) food by letting trees deal with wet ground - rather than produce little or nothing at all?

The Elm Farm Research Institute have been trialling intercropping with trees very successfully although not, as far as I'm aware, for specifically drying the land. There would be a problem with planting trees into ground that was only occasionally waterlogged in drier spells when the trees might dry the ground too much for the crops to grow.

The problem at the moment is just the amount of rain that is falling and the duration. Alders to dry land for a normal year wouldn't cope with this year. Alders do however fix nitrogen so would be good for adjacent crops.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clearing another patch where most of the run-off from the house ends up, that which doesn't end up in barrels.

Currently this run-off mostly runs to a small stream but if I plant a few alders there in the patch, I should be helping - albeit in a miniscule way - to mitigate flood further downstream.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't willows take up more water, Em.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Wouldn't willows take up more water, Em.

It's a 50/50 decision. Embarassed
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a thing called goat willow here. Extremely fast growth, takes up much much water, the wetter it is the more it likes it. Have alder too, but it can't match the goat willow for water take up. The willow is unkillable, cut it down and it's back in no time, brilliant for coppicing. Ok as firewood, if split normal drying time, if not split needs 2 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Permaculture All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: