PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superb book about the big picture
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Superb book about the big picture Reply with quote

Edit by admin to remove link, a more ethical supplier is suggested a few posts down.

Wow! This is the book I have been looking for. Radically trans-disciplinary and correctly identifies that money as we understand it is the single most fundamental obstacle to creating a sustainable world. Not cheap, but brilliant.

Article by the same person: https://braveneweurope.com/alf-hornborg-a-globalised-solar-powered-future-is-wholly-unrealistic-and-our-economy-is-the-reason-why

And a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sORbItAvhco

All absolutely spot on, IMO.

More, on free trade and sustainability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhnsOv1zoE

And on the whole thing. This is brilliant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB1r8r8z8v0&t=638s
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, can you print the name of the book please as I don't want to follow that URL onto that website. I will search for it elsewhere.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Nature-Society-and-Justice-in-the-Anthropocene-by-Alf-Hornborg-author/9781108429375

Non dodgy supplier.
Snail

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this priced so high, £85?

I might have paid something for it as it sounds interesting and is something i'd read, but not £85.

Last edited by Snail on Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Adam. That was the supplier that I was going to try. Could you edit "dodgy tax avoider" out of your first post please as plenty of people will just click on the first reference that they see.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snail wrote:

I've just downloaded it for free. I might have paid something for it as it sounds interesting and is something i'd read, but not £85.

It's seen as a low volume sale, academic, hardback book so attracts a high price to cover the publisher's costs.
Snail

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academic book prices are ridiculous. I used to just buy older editions for university and saved a fortune. Now i would just download them.

I know it must give the author a buzz having a book published and physically on the shelves, but...

---

I've just edited my posts in case the author is ue's friend or something, and people like me must annoy authors and publishers. Very Happy

Last edited by Snail on Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snail wrote:

Typical of short-print-run academic books. It has to be that high in order to cover the costs.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snail wrote:
Academic book prices are ridiculous. I used to just buy older editions for university and saved a fortune. Now i would just download them.

I know it must give the author a buzz having a book published and physically on the shelves, but...

---

I've just edited my posts in case the author is ue's friend on something.

Never heard of him until recently.

It is such a shame that so few people will read this book. The idea is truly revolutionary. Set up an anti-globalisation parallel currency engineered to create sustainability, and then just wait for the global currency system to implode.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have posted this widely on the internet and absolutely nobody gets it. They do not understand why this suggestion is different to anything before. They don't understand why this system could change the way the world operates.

To recap:

It is a national parallel currency that is issued only by the government (NOT by banks as debt), is used to pay a UBI but can only be used to buy goods and services made within a certain radius of the buyer, and possibly also restricted to food and other essential products and services. This will have the effect of setting up a parallel economy designed to reverse globalisation. It will take power away from large companies, especially the multinationals, and massively stimulate new localised entrepreneurship.

It is not a local currency. It would not fail like local currencies do, because the government will be dishing out.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
It is not a local currency. It would not fail like local currencies do, because the government will be dishing out.

I don't follow, 'because the government will be dishing out' is no guarantee against failure? Lots of government backed things are crap and fail.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effectively it's putting a tax on imported goods, not sure that countries we are trying to negotiate trade deals with would be happy, they'd probably tax our exports to them.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:

I don't follow, 'because the government will be dishing out' is no guarantee against failure? Lots of government backed things are crap and fail.

Apart from the general possibility or likelihood of anything government run failing, I see another problem.
If this new "funny money" is to be issued centrally but is only valid for locally produced goods/services, how is use to be restricted ?
Local to Penzance is rather different from local to Manchester.
And what about local, but still international ? From parts of the south coast, France is more "local" than is London.
In parts of Northern Ireland, the Irish republic is very local, just a short walk, but is also international.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
Effectively it's putting a tax on imported goods, not sure that countries we are trying to negotiate trade deals with would be happy, they'd probably tax our exports to them.

This is true, but surely the idea is to reduce globalisation ? So if we tax imports, and other nations tax imports from us, then globalisation is discouraged, at least slightly.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:

If people are given a new currency to spend, as a UBI, then they will spend it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: