PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Theft of construction metals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DominicJ

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, yep, I agree.

I'm curious if there is a legal bar to disconnecting already connected home owners, or extending the home owner portion to the substation, or even further.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DominicJ wrote:
In that case, yep, I agree.

I'm curious if there is a legal bar to disconnecting already connected home owners, or extending the home owner portion to the substation, or even further.

I believe that they are legally required to continue supply to existing customers, though of course laws can be changed.

Not certain about extending the bit that belongs to the homeowner.
AFAIK, in parts of the USA rural supplies are only to the nearest main road, with the homeowner responsible after that.
This also has the advantage that the customer pays for the losses in the cable, rather than it being a burden on the utility/other customers.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another large scale blackout here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15631685

Not confirmed to be cable theft, but it does appear probable.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as though something is being done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16738000

I do not think that this will help much. I suspect that a lot of metal theft is by large well organised gangs who can easily purchase or set up a scrap metal firm and produce whatever paperwork is required.

Probably a bit better than doing nothing though.
mobbsey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago there were thefts of farm tractors and construction equipment around here -- most of it never seen again, but what was found was turning up in places like Turkey.

If, as in the case on a local farm, you can make a large farm tractor disappear without a trace, how exactly are they going to stop metal being loaded into containers and exported directly rather than via the local scrappie?
featherstick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobbsey wrote:
A few years ago there were thefts of farm tractors and construction equipment around here -- most of it never seen again, but what was found was turning up in places like Turkey.

If, as in the case on a local farm, you can make a large farm tractor disappear without a trace, how exactly are they going to stop metal being loaded into containers and exported directly rather than via the local scrappie?

Depends what the profit margin is, Mobbsey. A lot of scrap is worth pennies and getting it ready for sale into the legitimate scrap market can involve burning plastic sheathing off cable in your back garden or breaking up fridges to take the metal out. Not worth sending to Turkey under those circumstances. A big whole working tractor is worth more.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Railway disruption caused by metal theft, again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-23499761

This seems to be a growing problem.
You cant police every mile of railway track, or overhead power cable.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
AFAIK, in parts of the USA rural supplies are only to the nearest main road, with the homeowner responsible after that.
This also has the advantage that the customer pays for the losses in the cable, rather than it being a burden on the utility/other customers.

Not quite. To get a line extended here you have to deed them Right of Way alongside the road, either public or private, and pay all costs for materials and installation, about $1500 per pole and they put the meter on the last pole or on the side of the house. The power company retains possession of the lines and poles and transformer so all the loses on their side of the meter are on them. My meter and disconnect switch is on the last pole, my daughters is on the side of her house. Same company. Other company’s in other states may do it as you say but I haven't seen that around here.
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Railway disruption caused by metal theft, again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-23499761

This seems to be a growing problem.
You cant police every mile of railway track, or overhead power cable.

That part of the line is a very attractive route, though I've only seen it from the road. Let's hope the thieves continue to not understand the dangers, but are surprised one day (soon).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: