PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New record for wind power in Spain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: New record for wind power in Spain Reply with quote

I know this might be a bit off topic seeing as this area is about the "energy needs of Britain" but I though I'd post anyway, cos this news certainly made me feel good (for once!):

The Association for Renewable Energy Producers (APPA) in Spain have just reported a new record for wind power generation in Spain. On the 8th of December at 14:30h the production from wind energy reached 8142 MW, representing 30% of the country's electricity demand at that moment which was just over 27000 MW. Some 70% of the nation's installed wind power was operating at the time.

OK, I know, it was only an "instant", and it was hardly peak demand, and the real overall contribution of wind energy to Spain's electricity generation mix more like 7%, I think, but its nice to have a bit of good news occasionally! Smile
Andy Hunt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. This is good news, and very impressive. Just shows what an important contribution renewables can make.

I wouldn't want to worry you with the truth. Rolling Eyes
Erik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish wind energy update:

10% of electricity consumed in Spain in 2007 has come from wind energy Very Happy

Maximum daily electrical energy production from wind energy in Spain was 169.194 MWh, on the 19th March 2007, covering 23.2% of electricity demand on that day. Very Happy

Can't find a link in English, so here's one in Spanish if anyone's interested: http://www.finanzas.com/id.9213671/noticias/noticia.htm
Erik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update on my Spanish wind energy monologue! Very windy day here in Spain yesterday, which gave us a new record power contribution from wind of 10032 MW, as well as a new record hourly production of 9328 MWh (between 3 and 4pm) Cool

Power generation mix at 15.53h on 4th March 2008:
WIND 28%
CCGTs 25%
NUCLEAR 20%
COAL 14%
OTHER RENEWABLES + CHP 11%
HYDRO 2%

The bad news is that I got home and found that half of my veggies had been blown over... serves me right for being so foolish as to plant them on my roof Rolling Eyes
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Cool ! Good to see the turbines didn't have to cut out in the high winds. And, it all goes to show what's possible.

Hope your veggies are recovering!
Erik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Wow Cool ! Good to see the turbines didn't have to cut out in the high winds.

Not exactly, but ironically it was necessary to shut down a few because they were producing too much!
See Spain wind power hits record, cut ordered
Quote:
MADRID, March 5 (Reuters) - Spanish wind turbines provided record levels of power on Tuesday and the national grid said it had to order a cut in output to avoid becoming vulnerable to a sudden drop should the wind have stopped blowing.

Quote:
[Spain's] power market has become particularly sensitive to fluctuations in wind.

REE said that several minutes before wind power hit a new peak it had ordered a cut in output to avoid a potential drop in voltage.

By mid-morning on Wednesday, wind power had eased to 7,492 MW and in recent days has dropped below 500 MW.
Crying or Very sad

RenewableCandy wrote:
Hope your veggies are recovering!

They seem to have survived the terrible blow ( Rolling Eyes ), thank you!
Erik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new record for wind energy in Spain, with a contribution to overall electricity generation of 11,203 MW at 11.09h on 5th March 2009. Cool

Power mix at that moment:
WIND 29.5%
CCGTs 20.8%
NUCLEAR 15.3%
COAL 9.6%
OTHER RENEWABLES + CHP 15.4%
HYDRO 9.4%

http://www.ree.es/sala_prensa/web/notas_detalle.aspx?id_nota=114
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the generation compare to demand? How much are they importing/exporting?
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be something of a March thing. Would it be possible to re-schedule some national energy-hungry jobs to March next year Smile ?
Erik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandidoz wrote:
How does the generation compare to demand? How much are they importing/exporting?

There's some real-time data here: https://demanda.ree.es/generacion_acumulada.html
If you type in the date 2009-03-05 you can see the energy mix on the day in question. The semitransparent area at the bottom is export(-)/import(+).

Also, to see wind energy production (and as % contribution to the generating mix and % of installed wind capacity) there's this graph:
https://demanda.ree.es/eolica.html
It's very windy at the moment it seems, 15:30h on the 24th of March: 8258 MW (26% of total generation, 51% of total installed wind capacity)

RenewableCandy wrote:
Seems to be something of a March thing

Ah, I hadn't noticed that!
goslow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great effort by the Spanish. but I wonder, how our electricity consumption in the UK compares with that of Spain? Is it easier for them to reach these levels of renewable generation because they don't use as much leccy as we do? How many more wind farms do they have compared with the UK?

Current UK wind generation supplies about 1% of demand. Considering the success of the anti wind movement at the moment it seems less and less likely that we will get to Spain's levels of renewable generation, unless central government pushes it through or offshore wind proves more successful.

Can anyone give me hope?
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
Latest update on my Spanish wind energy monologue! Very windy day here in Spain yesterday, which gave us a new record power contribution from wind of 10032 MW, as well as a new record hourly production of 9328 MWh (between 3 and 4pm) Cool

Power generation mix at 15.53h on 4th March 2008:
WIND 28%

Assuming the power o/p was constant for an hour that makes Spain's total electric generating capacity about 36 GW (ie, tthat 10.032 GW was 28% of it). The UK's was 75 GW last time I looked, but since then some of the nukes have died on us so perhaps we can say we have pretty well exactly twice Spain's capacity.

We have stronger winds but less reliable, and we have more coastline but less land area. We have more nimbies per square metre than any other country on earth.
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Wow Cool ! Good to see the turbines didn't have to cut out in the high winds.

Erik wrote:
https://demanda.ree.es/generacion_acumulada.html

You can see the balancing being approximated by varying the hydro contribution.
Erik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandidoz wrote:

Erik wrote:
https://demanda.ree.es/generacion_acumulada.html

You can see the balancing being approximated by varying the hydro contribution.

And you can see hydro going "negative" during the early hours of the morning as pumped storage kicks in.

RenewableCandy wrote:
Assuming the power o/p was constant for an hour that makes Spain's total electric generating capacity about 36 GW (ie, tthat 10.032 GW was 28% of it). The UK's was 75 GW last time I looked, but since then some of the nukes have died on us so perhaps we can say we have pretty well exactly twice Spain's capacity.

Seemed a bit low that, so I looked up installed capacity at the Red Electrica Espaa site (second table on page 9 of this pdf file (948kb)):
Hydro: 16.7 GW
Nuclear: 7.7 GW
Coal: 11.4 GW
Fuel/gas: 4.4 GW
CCGTs: 21.7 GW
Wind: 15.6 GW
Other RE: 12.6 GW
TOTAL: 89.9 GW

A lot of this is redundant some or a lot of the time though. The fuel/gas plant hardly ever operate, wind is rarely above 50%, there are a number of nuclear units out of action at the moment, and there is a surplus of CCGTs it seems, especially now as demand is slumping rather dramatically.

RenewableCandy wrote:
We have stronger winds but less reliable, and we have more coastline but less land area. We have more nimbies per square metre than any other country on earth.

Then Spain probably has one of the lowest nimby densities! There are vast open areas where the only signs of life are wind turbines! Actually, I heard that one area where nimbies are really starting to have a voice is around the coastal areas where tourists and retired pensioners are worried about having their sea views disturbed by possible off-shore wind farms Rolling Eyes
Erik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goslow wrote:
Can anyone give me hope?

Well the wind resource is certainly there:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: