PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Registered Users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bozzio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Registered Users Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I commented on the low number of users registered on this site. What I have noticed, perhaps more since I made my remarks, is how this figure has hardly changed since then, in fact what I have observed is that the number has increased very little even though new members are listed as signing up almost daily. Just to top it all, the figure has dropped from 311 this morning to 308 at the time I write this.

Any idea what is going on? I don't want you to think I'm strange in monitoring such information but it would be good if this site gave accurate figures for the total members - or is this another conspiracy for me to get concerned about....oooooh! (actually it can't be a conspiracy because I doubt whether it is illegal and it might only be due to one person, two factors that would negate this being a conspiracy as isenhand was so desperate to point out to me this morning Wink)
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Registered Users Reply with quote

Bozzio wrote:
A few weeks ago I commented on the low number of users registered on this site. What I have noticed, perhaps more since I made my remarks, is how this figure has hardly changed since then, in fact what I have observed is that the number has increased very little even though new members are listed as signing up almost daily. Just to top it all, the figure has dropped from 311 this morning to 308 at the time I write this.

Any idea what is going on? I don't want you to think I'm strange in monitoring such information but it would be good if this site gave accurate figures for the total members - or is this another conspiracy for me to get concerned about....oooooh! (actually it can't be a conspiracy because I doubt whether it is illegal and it might only be due to one person, two factors that would negate this being a conspiracy as isenhand was so desperate to point out to me this morning Wink)
Sorry to disappoint, but there is no exciting conspiracy, it's mostly down to me, and some to James and others with Admin rights on the forum.

We've changed the registration procedure so that new users can't post until one of us has authorised them. James and I get sent an auto-generated email when a new person joins, and we log in to either enable or delete their account. The reason we did this was because of the large number of spammers and "bots" registering on the forum.

The reason you see numbers fall occasionally is that new users are recorded in the member list before they're enabled to post, but I only delete the spammers once or twice a day. So, if you look just before I've done the deletions, and then just after, you will see a fall in membership.

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Bozzio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Just goes to show how professionally run this forum is.
ianryder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I think is worth a mention...I remember looking at the main PS site for a couple of months before I even discovered there was a forum.

I'm sure a lot of people come along, read the news, read the general stuff and then move on.

If the forum was more visible or there were more things pointing people in the right direction I'm sure there would be more people joining. I suppose at the moment it might weed out the passing trade from the seriously interested...
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianryder wrote:
One thing I think is worth a mention...I remember looking at the main PS site for a couple of months before I even discovered there was a forum.

I'm sure a lot of people come along, read the news, read the general stuff and then move on.

If the forum was more visible or there were more things pointing people in the right direction I'm sure there would be more people joining. I suppose at the moment it might weed out the passing trade from the seriously interested...
I think this is true, I'll raise the issue again.

Dr Colin Campbell

Tess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking the same thing. Normally I jump straight to the forum and bypass the main site, but today i'm on a different computer and couldnt find the link to the forums on the main page. It should be highlighted really, along with the news pages.
snow hope

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tess wrote:
I was just thinking the same thing. Normally I jump straight to the forum and bypass the main site, but today i'm on a different computer and couldnt find the link to the forums on the main page. It should be highlighted really, along with the news pages.

Here here. We need a big RED Discuss Peak Oil link and make the Forums links bold type and RED to stand out. Smile
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been discussing it with James, and he is going to have a look at changing it over the weekend.

Dr Colin Campbell

Pippa
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that small isn't necessarily beautiful but I like the fact that, for the time being, this site is small enough to feel that you are listening to and discussing points of interest with people that you can get to know a little.
Tess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pippa wrote:
I know that small isn't necessarily beautiful but I like the fact that, for the time being, this site is small enough to feel that you are listening to and discussing points of interest with people that you can get to know a little.

In some ways it is nice to keep things 'human-sized' but at the same time it's good to have 'new meat' from time to time to bring in new experiences and wisdom.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, James has fixed it - there is now a "forums" section at the top of the left-hand sidebar on the front page. It's not in red through, so that should please the people who want to keep it cosy. Smile

Dr Colin Campbell

Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still too "invisible"; also bear in mind there are two "main" pages:

www.powerswitch.org.uk

www.powerswitch.org.uk/portal

As Snow says, on the main (non-portal) page, there needs to be a bold "forum" link. There is a "regional forum" link that's useless IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Suggestion Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: