PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxfordshire Meet Up / Ecovillage discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> London & The South East
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Madam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Oxfordshire Meet Up / Ecovillage discussion Reply with quote

Hi this is specifically to Mike and Blue Peter, but other interested parties are more than welcome. We had the first official discussion about how to take forward the idea of an Oxfordshire eco-village / smallholding co-op last night. The auspicious setting was my mate Neil's living room! We all agreed that the meeting was really valid and it was great fun, so we decided to go away do some more homework and meet again in a months time to get the ball rolling of the options available, what we each actually want the eco-village to be in terms of principles, land use etc etc and how we might achieve it through combined capital and lobbying and whether everyone's ideas are mutually compatible. The date for this meeting is 2nd April.

Now the venue next month is going to be another friend's living room and it is space limited, but the numbers are rapidly increasing - there were 8 of us along last night and two more interested folk have come on board today, and the skills are snowballing too - for example there is now a former planner, an architect and a carpenter on board. So I dunno whether it is worth you guys coming along as well, or for us to meet up separately and I can debrief you (which strikes me a little as repetition and prone to the vaguaries of my memory and powers of recollection!) - if you are interested let me know but it might be that we have to change the venue to cope with a larger group. The East Oxford Community Centre might end up being another option.

Anyhooooo I hope you are well and let's catch up soon if you are up for it.

Cat
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly interested, but I'm in London that day for work and may not get back till later on... what time do you think you'll meet?

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested, but a Monday night is not good for those of us who have been liberated from the car (or whatever your phrase was Very Happy ) and don't live in Oxford,

Peter.
Miss Madam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

We met last time at seven for supper, with the discussion proper kicking off at half seven / quarter to eight although a few people dropped in a little later due to commitments. Unfortunately I think this meeting is fixed for the 2nd as it took an age to find a date that everyone could do (herding cats and en masse diary checking!). I know its a pain in the ass but we finish about nine so the buses are still running. What time / day would suit you better for future meetings? Even if you can't make it, perhaps you could send me a list with what you envisage / want the project to achieve / be. I.e. urban vs rural, no fossil fuels, low tech or high tech, what if any animals you would like to raise, how much growing space you require, your family members' needs etc, what you will be using the space for - i.e. working from home. If you could imagine your ideal - what would it be? As much detail as possible would be really helpful as we're trying to see if our 'dreams' are compatible as one settlement or if, realistically there are two or more projects destined to come out of it.

Sorry for this date being fixed, but the process is going really well, and don't worry if you can't make the first couple of meetings - there'll be so many more before concrete plans are made.

Cat x
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that your username is your email address. I'll email you some thoughts,

Peter.
Miss Madam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Yes my memory is too addled Confused to remember countless different user names and passwords and email addresses - so yes, with a definite lack of imagination my username is indeed my email address. Drop me some thoughts before the 2nd April and I'll present them to the group and see how they fit in.

Cat
Miss Madam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang, the date for this meeting has changed. Yet more proof that organising the left is akin to herding cats....

Can you make the 26th March (a Monday) with a pot luck dinner being served from 6.30 and discussions from 7 til 9. If you can't make the start -don't worry, just drop in when you can. Blue Peter and Mike - if you're interested let me know, I think the venue is going to be in Marston but I can give you the exact address in the next couple of days. Neutral
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 26th looks OK for me.
Can you email me the location when you know it?

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> London & The South East All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: