PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assange Watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 8543
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Assange Watch Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19259623

Are we going to stand back and allow the United States to execute Julian Assange?

This is bigger than Aung San Suu Kyi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biffvernon



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 18552
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we're not.
_________________
http://biffvernon.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
extractorfan



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 988
Location: Ricky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find it frightening, and depressing. In their eyes, does he really have so much power? Is telling people facts so dangerous?

This is one of the most awful things happening in the world but it's just so easy to ignore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
biffvernon



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 18552
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. There's a kind of war going on right now. Assange in peril, Bradley Manning in jail and facing a justice-less court, Birgitta Jonsdottir one of the few parliamentarians speaking out. And in Russia the Pussy Riot women are in jail for singing a song.
_________________
http://biffvernon.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4224
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The United States tends to execute only those that have killed more then one innocent victim or a police officer. It varies from state to state but I think you will find it hard to find a recent example of someone being executed just for their political beliefs or for embarrassing the sitting government. The Rosenberg's and the A Bomb secrets might be the last example and that might have been quite justified depending on what evidence you judge to be credible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 5598
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
The United States tends to execute only those that have killed more then one innocent victim or a police officer. It varies from state to state but I think you will find it hard to find a recent example of someone being executed just for their political beliefs or for embarrassing the sitting government. The Rosenberg's and the A Bomb secrets might be the last example and that might have been quite justified depending on what evidence you judge to be credible.
When you say that the US has not killed people because of their political beliefs, I think what you really mean is that have not killed any Americans on Amercan soil for their political beliefs. The US is, of course, responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of people worldwide for nothing other than their political beliefs or, merely, for being in the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time vis-a-vis US expansionary policies.

Oh, and they they wont kill Assange. What they'll do is leave him to rot for life in some US hell-hole of a jail. There as a permanent reminder that you don't **** with the Yanks because, in the words of Bush, "you're either with us or you're against us".

The US is truly an evil empire.


Last edited by Little John on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 8543
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extractorfan wrote:
I do find it frightening, and depressing. In their eyes, does he really have so much power? Is telling people facts so dangerous?


What is dangerous is that he is willing to stand up to them - that he shows no fear of American hegemony. That's what Al-Qaeda do. The US responds by demonstrating that it is above the law: "we can do whatever we want to you. No trial. No judges. Just solitary confinement and execution."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 8543
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
There as a permanent reminder that you don't **** with the Yanks because, in the words of Bush, "you're either with us or you are against us".

The US is truly an evil empire.


Absolutely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catweazle



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 2189
Location: Little England, over the hills

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they will send him to Guantanamo, conveniently out of range of their own laws, and water-board him daily as they do with their other enemies.

I read about one inmate who had been water-boarded 287 times ( probably more now ).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank_begbie



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 804
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, its for your own protection.



http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/new-totalitarianism-surveillance-technology
_________________
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SleeperService



Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 1105
Location: Nottingham UK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank_begbie wrote:
Don't worry, its for your own protection.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/new-totalitarianism-surveillance-technology


This is very similar to the creeping control that I heard about from my grandparents who were living in Germany pre WW2. The former Stasi and KGB would be in heaven with the technology available today and the willingness of oppressive governments to use it.
_________________
Scarcity is the new black
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 5598
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank_begbie wrote:
Don't worry, its for your own protection.



http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/new-totalitarianism-surveillance-technology
Fascism is coming. You know it and I know it. The important question all of us are each individually going to have to ask ourselves at some point is this:

Am I just going to accept and adapt, or is there a point at which I decide to be a part of doing something about it? Something real and not just twittering about it down the pub or on places like this.

It's a question I am currently asking myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4224
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevecook172001"]
vtsnowedin wrote:
The United States tends to execute only those that have killed more then one innocent victim or a police officer. It varies from state to state but I think you will find it hard to find a recent example of someone being executed just for their political beliefs or for embarrassing the sitting government. The Rosenberg's and the A Bomb secrets might be the last example and that might have been quite justified depending on what evidence you judge to be credible.
When you say that the US has not killed people because of their political beliefs, I think what you really mean is that have not killed any Americans on Amercan soil for their political beliefs. The US is, of course, responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of people worldwide for nothing other than their political beliefs or, merely, for being in the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time vis-a-vis US expansionary policies.Oh, and they they wont kill Assange. What they'll do is leave him to rot for life in some US hell-hole of a jail. There as a permanent reminder that you don't **** with the Yanks because, in the words of Bush, "you're either with us or you're against us".

The US is truly an evil empire.[/quote]
I find both comments a bit odd coming from the former British empire where the sun never sets and the history of all that have gone into the tower of London and never came out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emordnilap



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 13891
Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brits have a lot to be ashamed of too, few here deny that. And you did say 'former'!
_________________
"Buddhists say we come back as animals and they refer to them as lesser beings. Well, animals aren’t lesser beings, they’re just like us. So I say fụck the Buddhists" - Bjork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank_begbie



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 804
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
frank_begbie wrote:
Don't worry, its for your own protection.



http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/new-totalitarianism-surveillance-technology
Fascism is coming. You know it and I know it. The important question all of us are each individually going to have to ask ourselves at some point is this:

Am I just going to accept and adapt, or is there a point at which I decide to be a part of doing something about it? Something real and not just twittering about it down the pub or on places like this.

It's a question I am currently asking myself.


Yes I'm asking the same question.

We need another Martin Luther King.

Someone with great personality, someone we can trust, someone to follow, to join us all together.

Is there anyone out there?
_________________
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 1 of 58

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group