PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assange Watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Assange Watch Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19259623

Are we going to stand back and allow the United States to execute Julian Assange?

This is bigger than Aung San Suu Kyi.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we're not.
extractorfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find it frightening, and depressing. In their eyes, does he really have so much power? Is telling people facts so dangerous?

This is one of the most awful things happening in the world but it's just so easy to ignore.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. There's a kind of war going on right now. Assange in peril, Bradley Manning in jail and facing a justice-less court, Birgitta Jonsdottir one of the few parliamentarians speaking out. And in Russia the Pussy Riot women are in jail for singing a song.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The United States tends to execute only those that have killed more then one innocent victim or a police officer. It varies from state to state but I think you will find it hard to find a recent example of someone being executed just for their political beliefs or for embarrassing the sitting government. The Rosenberg's and the A Bomb secrets might be the last example and that might have been quite justified depending on what evidence you judge to be credible.
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
The United States tends to execute only those that have killed more then one innocent victim or a police officer. It varies from state to state but I think you will find it hard to find a recent example of someone being executed just for their political beliefs or for embarrassing the sitting government. The Rosenberg's and the A Bomb secrets might be the last example and that might have been quite justified depending on what evidence you judge to be credible.
When you say that the US has not killed people because of their political beliefs, I think what you really mean is that have not killed any Americans on Amercan soil for their political beliefs. The US is, of course, responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of people worldwide for nothing other than their political beliefs or, merely, for being in the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time vis-a-vis US expansionary policies.

Oh, and they they wont kill Assange. What they'll do is leave him to rot for life in some US hell-hole of a jail. There as a permanent reminder that you don't **** with the Yanks because, in the words of Bush, "you're either with us or you're against us".

The US is truly an evil empire.

Last edited by Little John on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extractorfan wrote:
I do find it frightening, and depressing. In their eyes, does he really have so much power? Is telling people facts so dangerous?

What is dangerous is that he is willing to stand up to them - that he shows no fear of American hegemony. That's what Al-Qaeda do. The US responds by demonstrating that it is above the law: "we can do whatever we want to you. No trial. No judges. Just solitary confinement and execution."
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
There as a permanent reminder that you don't **** with the Yanks because, in the words of Bush, "you're either with us or you are against us".

The US is truly an evil empire.

Absolutely.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they will send him to Guantanamo, conveniently out of range of their own laws, and water-board him daily as they do with their other enemies.

I read about one inmate who had been water-boarded 287 times ( probably more now ).
frank_begbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, its for your own protection.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/new-totalitarianism-surveillance-technology
SleeperService

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank_begbie wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/new-totalitarianism-surveillance-technology

This is very similar to the creeping control that I heard about from my grandparents who were living in Germany pre WW2. The former Stasi and KGB would be in heaven with the technology available today and the willingness of oppressive governments to use it.
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank_begbie wrote:

Fascism is coming. You know it and I know it. The important question all of us are each individually going to have to ask ourselves at some point is this:

Am I just going to accept and adapt, or is there a point at which I decide to be a part of doing something about it? Something real and not just twittering about it down the pub or on places like this.

It's a question I am currently asking myself.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevecook172001"]
vtsnowedin wrote:
When you say that the US has not killed people because of their political beliefs, I think what you really mean is that have not killed any Americans on Amercan soil for their political beliefs. The US is, of course, responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of people worldwide for nothing other than their political beliefs or, merely, for being in the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time vis-a-vis US expansionary policies.Oh, and they they wont kill Assange. What they'll do is leave him to rot for life in some US hell-hole of a jail. There as a permanent reminder that you don't **** with the Yanks because, in the words of Bush, "you're either with us or you're against us".

The US is truly an evil empire.[/quote]
I find both comments a bit odd coming from the former British empire where the sun never sets and the history of all that have gone into the tower of London and never came out.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brits have a lot to be ashamed of too, few here deny that. And you did say 'former'!
frank_begbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
frank_begbie wrote:

Fascism is coming. You know it and I know it. The important question all of us are each individually going to have to ask ourselves at some point is this:

Am I just going to accept and adapt, or is there a point at which I decide to be a part of doing something about it? Something real and not just twittering about it down the pub or on places like this.

It's a question I am currently asking myself.

Yes I'm asking the same question.

We need another Martin Luther King.

Someone with great personality, someone we can trust, someone to follow, to join us all together.

Is there anyone out there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 1 of 58

Jump to: