PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The tipping point is now
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 5053
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: The tipping point is now Reply with quote

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-point-of-no-return-climate-change-nightmares-are-already-here-20150805
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 2970

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On July 20th, James Hansen, the former NASA climatologist who brought climate change to the public's attention in the summer of 1988, issued a bombshell: He and a team of climate scientists had identified a newly important feedback mechanism off the coast of Antarctica that suggests mean sea levels could rise 10 times faster than previously predicted: 10 feet by 2065. The authors included this chilling warning: If emissions aren't cut, "We conclude that multi-meter sea-level rise would become practically unavoidable. Social disruption and economic consequences of such large sea-level rise could be devastating. It is not difficult to imagine that conflicts arising from forced migrations and economic collapse might make the planet ungovernable, threatening the fabric of civilization."


Meanwhile the f***ing stupid politicians in the UK, with their heads up any available arse, are lauding the benefits of fracking, and are attempting to buy off objectors for a few thousand £s. Rolling Eyes
_________________
If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while you count your money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 5053
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noam Chomsky states the desperately obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqBEXo_e9Y&feature=share
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 2970

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he does point out that Trump is an irrational nutter, yet there are some round here who think Trump is a preferrable US president. I know, there's lots of other things too, but as you say, it's desperately obvious.
_________________
If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while you count your money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 5053
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
Well, he does point out that Trump is an irrational nutter, yet there are some round here who think Trump is a preferrable US president. I know, there's lots of other things too, but as you say, it's desperately obvious.
I think Trump is the lesser of two evils. That is saying something, I know. But, Clinton has form. If she gets into the White House, Iran will be on fire within months. Trump may be an arsehole, but everything he has stated thus far suggests he is an isolationist arsehole when it comes to military adventurism. That alone makes him less dangerous to the wider world than Clinton.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
johnhemming2



Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Posts: 1462

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends really whether you would like to reduce the availabilty and use of nuclear weapons or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 2970

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that a choice between Clinton and Trump will make any difference. The US will stomp over whoever it wants to, by any means available. The president is a front, the machine is controlled from the back office. Witness Cheyney, Rumsfeld and Bush, Bush was IMO a puppet while others set the pace.
_________________
If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while you count your money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 5053
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
I don't see that a choice between Clinton and Trump will make any difference. The US will stomp over whoever it wants to, by any means available. The president is a front, the machine is controlled from the back office. Witness Cheyney, Rumsfeld and Bush, Bush was IMO a puppet while others set the pace.
All of which should tell you why the US establishment has and is pulling out all of the stops to put a stop to first Sanders and now Trump. For all of their massively opposing political beliefs, Trump and Sanders both represent forces that no longer wish to comply with the existing US elite's agenda. Clinton, meanwhile, is a fully paid up card carrying supporter of that agenda. A vote for Clinton is a vote for BAU. And, if you hadn't already noticed, people in the US and all across the Western world have had just about as much of BAU as they can take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Lord Beria3



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 3747
Location: Moscow Russia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more Little John
_________________
Peace always has been and always will be an intermittent flash of light in a dark history of warfare, violence, and destruction
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
clv101
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 7310

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
Depends really whether you would like to reduce the availabilty and use of nuclear weapons or not.


Assuming we do, which is the 'less nuclear' candidate?

This from the current administration:
Quote:
Obama also has built up considerable chips for this policy fight. He has launched the biggest nuclear weapons build-up in U.S. history. Just this month, three new weapons advanced in the procurement process. The new B-61 nuclear bomb was green-lighted and at an estimated $11 billion, the 400 new weapons will cost more than twice their weight in gold. The Pentagon put out a request for proposal for a new nuclear cruise missile, expected to cost up to $30 billion. The Pentagon also requested bids for a new long-range ballistic missile estimated at over $60 billion. And the Air Force’s plans for new long-range bomber moved ahead despite lawmakers concern that the service will not reveal the full budget for a program estimated to cost at least $111 billion for 100 new planes.

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2016/08/obamas-last-chance-terminate-us-nuclear-policy-thanks-trump/130762/
_________________
PowerSwitch on Facebook | The Oil Drum | Twitter | Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
johnhemming2



Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Posts: 1462

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump argued that there was no problem if the KSA had nukes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 2970

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
woodburner wrote:
I don't see that a choice between Clinton and Trump will make any difference. The US will stomp over whoever it wants to, by any means available. The president is a front, the machine is controlled from the back office. Witness Cheyney, Rumsfeld and Bush, Bush was IMO a puppet while others set the pace.
All of which should tell you why the US establishment has and is pulling out all of the stops to put a stop to first Sanders and now Trump. For all of their massively opposing political beliefs, Trump and Sanders both represent forces that no longer wish to comply with the existing US elite's agenda. Clinton, meanwhile, is a fully paid up card carrying supporter of that agenda. A vote for Clinton is a vote for BAU. And, if you hadn't already noticed, people in the US and all across the Western world have had just about as much of BAU as they can take.



Unless there is civil war, and the order changes, the establishment will have it's way no matter who is the president.
_________________
If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while you count your money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuzzy



Joined: 29 Nov 2013
Posts: 369
Location: The Marches, UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might improve things globally, giving KSA nukes - pointy end first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 3796
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:



Unless there is civil war, and the order changes, the establishment will have it's way no matter who is the president.

Major civil unrest if not outright civil war is quite likely in the next four years regardless of the election outcome. The establishment is in such financial difficulties that they will be unable to stop it, and a bank run or other financial crisis will probably be the triggering event.
Trump stumbling into a war or Hillary trying to confiscate guns or the collapse of the "ACA" are all competing possibilities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 3796
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
Might improve things globally, giving KSA nukes - pointy end first.

Naah! I don't want the gas tank on my truck to glow in the dark. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group