PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy PV or pay off some debt??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Buy PV or pay off some debt?
Buy PV
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Pay off some debt
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

Ballard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Also the chap I talked with said it's relatively easy, if you need, to add bits (batteries, txformer, etc) to this system to enable it to run during power cuts.

I thought about this and realised that if you assume that the grid will last for the next 25 years or so, getting more and more intermittent then there is no need to connect the batteries to the solar panels.

Have some solar panels for reducing electricity bills, these will work best during the summer.

And have a big set of batteries for power-cuts (theses can be on a maintenance charge from the mains.), that way your batteries will always be fully charged especially during the winter when power cuts are more likely.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballard wrote:
[
Have some solar panels for reducing electricity bills, these will work best during the summer.

And have a big set of batteries for power-cuts (theses can be on a maintenance charge from the mains.), that way your batteries will always be fully charged especially during the winter when power cuts are more likely.

I agree, the installation of grid tied PV for reducing bills, and the installation of a battery for power cuts (without any interconnection betwen the two) has much to commend it.

I would however think twice about using a grid powered battery charger to keep the battery charged, many designs are not very efficient and could consume up to ?50 worth of electric power a year.
It would be better to use a small PV module and charge controller to keep the battery in good condition. A grid powered battery charger would still be required to re-charge the battery after a power cut, efficiency being less important if it is not used continually.

It should be noted that grid tied PV systems generally have the modules in series to produce several hundred volts.
It would therefore be prudent to ensure that ALL the module connections are accesable from inside the loft, and not just the ends of the series strings. Then in the event of any long term/permanent grid failure, the modules may be re-connected to give lower voltages for battery charging.
If the inter-module connections are only accessable from outside, then you have a choice of working in the dark and risking falling of the roof, or working in daylight and risking death from the hundreds of volts from the array.

Note that any tampering with the wiring of a grid tied PV system is liable to break the warenty, and can be dangerous. Ensure that you know what to do, but normally leave well alone.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, DECISION TIME!

Chunk of mortgage has been paid, some cash still in reserve, of which ?500 will be used by-and-by to get a small stand-alone kit.

I can tell you it's an odd feeling: with one phonecall I have just wiped thousands off the UK economy! What will the BoE make of it this lunchtime?..
fifthcolumn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really dicey question is this:
How long into the future do you expect to have income?

If the answer is six months only then buy the PV but make it portable in case the baillifs want it.

If the answer is longer then it depends on how long.

Quite frankly I expect 1930s style unemployment before the end of the decade. By that point the government will have it's hands full.

The problems will arise if you get into trouble before the government and the banking system have collapsed.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe...all good questions! Don't think I haven't pondered them. Don't think I have come up with any firm answers!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Solar Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: