PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiltshire
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tattercoats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Wiltshire Reply with quote

I've just moved to Wiltshire, the village of Wroughton to be precise. I've sold my car, acquired a garden, and now wave my partner off to work on his bike in the mornings. Anyone out there?
LessOil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much sign of anyone else in the area, If you want someone to chat to about the wider issues we should organize a meeting in the local area, I live in south swindon, so I could walk to one of the pubs in wroughton (which as I remember have a good reputation). Pick one with a large beer garden.
RogerCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tattercoats, lovely to see you back.

Not sure exactly where in Wiltshire Wroughton is but if you contact your nearest Green Party you'll probably find a meeting to go to where you will find like-minded people even if you don't join (just drop the contact an email saying you'd like to come along to take a look). They'd also love to listen if you want to talk PO to them.
tattercoats

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, RogerCO. Good idea.

So... there are two in this area. Cue many more who are starting to look over their metaphorical shoulders at the current situation. A bad winter will be a heads-up, I think. LessOil, if it's thee and me, the world's our lobster. Doesn't have to be a pub.

I've heard that the Science Museum here are plsnning a large permaculture centre on the outskirts of Wroughton soon. Great! I'll be there...

Bets of luck with your winter prep, everyone, on this amazingly warm October day. And sorry I was too long away!

T.
LessOil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattercoats

Thanks for replying, We should meetup in Wroughton or Old Town Swindon at a place of your choice on monday, tuesday or thursday in the next 3 weeks, 8 pm is a good time. See you and anyone else who wishes to come along. Its not the time of year for the pub beer garden so somewhere warm and reasonably quite fits the bill.
tattercoats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lets. I prefer non-smoky places myself, and I can take or leave Much Booze, so maybe a cafe? Being new to the area I don't have a place in mind, but I'll do some sounding out. At present it would be just me, far as I know, but we'll make a plan and then we can tell folks. Good. Cheers!

T
LessOil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattercoats
Non smoky is good, so a cafe it is,
LessOil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattercoats

coffee bars are only open during the day, so it has to be a saturday for this meet, it will have to be a saturday, either 12 or 19th Nov,(the 26 Nov is possible) I have only ever been to Panache Cafe (very recently) , but the other two I got off the internet, so could have closed down? Do you know scoff's in wroughton?, name a time and a place and I will see you there and anyone else who wishes to come along. I am abroad during whole of December so we only have a 2 week window for a meeting before the new year.

Scoff's
7 High Street, Wroughton, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN4 9JX
Business type: Cafes, Cafe Bars & Coffee Shops

Woods
29, Wood St, Swindon, Wiltshire SN1 4AN
Tel: 01793 542232 Classification: Cafes

Panache Cafe Bars Ltd
23, Wood St, Swindon, Wiltshire SN1 4AN
Tel: 01793 491984 Classification: Cafes
tattercoats

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LessOil,

Sorry I've been offline and missed the pre-xmas window - had the grandmother of colds and you really wouldn't have wanted me there coughing my guts up.

I've hardly left the house so haven't checked out your splendid suggestions yet, but I will.

Ah well, if its' new year, then so be it - we may have had some winter by then and have a few survivor's tales. Have a great December, wherever you are.

Tattercoats
LessOil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tattercoats

Organize something for the second or third saturday in january, I can be much more flexible now, This will give others an opertunity to crawl out of the wood work and come along. I shall hopefully login in and leave a message early january.

Regards,

LessOil
tattercoats

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here goes:

Sat. 14th January. Peak oil gathering.

Place - Wroughton, Wiltshire. I'm off out now to investigate cafes, will post again in a bit.

Time: can be lunch time or evening depending on what suits Lessoil and others. Come on you lot there lurking! Out of the woodwork where we can see you! We don't bite! (Well, I don't, can't speak for Lessoil, but you're probably safe.) <g>

Details shortly. It's in my diary, and that's a start.

Tattercoats
tattercoats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat 14th 2006.

Peak Oil gathering. Where?

EITHER: 2-Jacks Cafe (used to be Scoffs, apparently)
OR: Blooms/Jardinerie Garden Centre, Wharf Road, the coffee shop. The one in the gifty part of the gerden centre, not the one in the craft outlet.

The cafe, 2-Jacks, opens till 2pm on Saturday, so we could make it a lunchtime. I've not managed to get there when it's open yet. The coffeeshop in the garden centre I can vouch for, they do nice coffees and such, and good cakes etc. Also proper meals.

Personally I favour the garden centre. Also parking is easier for those driving. (Yeah, I know...)

Lunchtime, then, or afternoon tea?

I'm goign to plump for afternoon tea at the garden centre, unless there is a strong concensus against it. At present it'll be me and LessOil, when LessOil returns from December wanderings. Anybody lurking out there? Come on in. See you in January.

So - there you have it. The Garden Centre, Wharf Road, Wroughton, on 14th Jan 2006. Say 3pm, for tea and cakes. Mine's a Lady Grey.

Tattercoats
LessOil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tattercoats

just calling in from Cairo, Egypt. Jardinerie Garden Centre is not really in Wroughton, but near. so please supply good directions, we can also possibly move else where when the coffee shop closes, if there is any one interested.

See you after christmas.

LessOil
tattercoats

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LessOil, nice to hear from you.

The place I have in mind has prteviously been called 'La Jardinerie' and other things, currently Blooms, the Garden Centre, atached to Butterfly World and the Craft Village.

The whole complex is also known as Studley Grange. Dunno why...

You reach it by taking the Wroughton road from J16 of the M4, which takes you down Hay Lane. Heading away from the M4, the centre is on your right. It's pretty well signposted, as 'Butterfly World' and 'Craft Village', etc, and the coffee shop in the garden centre has some comfy sofas and so on.

I shall think of a suitable identifier and post when I've decided what that is...

T
sbridewell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello, I'm based in West Swindon and I'm concerned about how to reduce the amount of energy we use, both from a climate change and a peak oil point of view. Mind if I invite myself along on the 14th? It's pretty close to me, although it's a bit scary crossing J16 on my bike Shocked

You may be interested to know that there's also a climate change network in Swindon - you can join in at http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/swindon-climate/

The latest project is to look at food miles, initially cafes and restaurants in Swindon, and see if we can persuade some of them to reduce their food miles. We also get reminders for all the local farmers markets sent to the yahoo group.

Simon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> The South West All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: