PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help! i need a solar meter!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: help! i need a solar meter! Reply with quote

does anybody know where i can get a meter to measure the uv light, but gives the result in watts/m2.

please excuess me if nothing like this exist, as you can tell, i am very new to this solar game. Embarassed
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: help! i need a solar meter! Reply with quote

Kadir wrote:
does anybody know where i can get a meter to measure the uv light, but gives the result in watts/m2.

Interesting that it's the UV you want to measure: most Solar PV reacts to yellow, red and near-Infra-Red (except that marvellous new multi-layer stuff that does blue and green also, so runs better than ordinary PV on cloudy days). You might just need a Pyranometer, can't remember the brand we used at the CAT but the good ones might be quite pricey. Good luck anyway.
Kadir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can see how much i know then!!! Embarassed Embarassed

i think it would be wise to explain my idea. i have a villa in north cyprus, i intend to use solar power, to run as much of the house as i can,so i was after a meter to measure the watts per2 metre?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to measure the insolation really. You only need a ball park figure because it's going to vary according to the weather. To make an exact measurement you would have to measure for the full year. You can get sufficient information from maps such as

http://www.powerupco.com/technical/insol.php

or

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/larnaca.html

or Google "insolation maps cyprus" or similar.

You then decide whether you want to provide all your electricity at the lowest insolation level and export of store the excess at the highest level or what ever level you decide.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all good stuff but I take it you already have solar hot water installed on your roof (in common with most households in Cyprus as I remember from when I visited...most impressive!)?

Oooh and unlike solar HW, a solar PV installation is very sensitive to part-shading, so be sure when you (specify where to) put it up, no projections (chimneys(!) trees, HW tanks, sat. dishes, neigbours' laundry...) are going to overshadow it in the best part of the day.

You'll get about 2500 kWh every year, from each kWp you get installed on a S-facing roof, if I'm right in my guess that Cyprus gets about 3000 hours of sunshine every year. That's more than twice what we get in the UK so you're off to a flying start Smile .
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha we have a Gadget-man on our hands!...Well a quick Google for Pyranometer revealed this (kit by Kip & Zonnen: the CMP11 looks like the one we had)

http://www.kippzonen.com/pages/6/3/Pyranometers?gclid=CP7Em4WIrI8CFQdhMAodph6oLA

...and the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyranometer tells you all the gen. including an idea of what to look for.

But you don't really need one, just maps like Kenneal says.

Interesting the difference between sun and wind estimates: now if you were up for putting up a wind turbine you would need your own measurements from exactly the right place: this is because windspeed is much more sensitive to terrain variations (including buildings, trees, height above ground etc) than sun irradiance is. And the power in the wind varies as the CUBE of its speed so you need as good an estimate of speed distribution as possible.

Weather stations with dataloggers (where you visit once a week or so to download the data) are useful for this kind of thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Solar Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: