PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience of Suntech Solar/Selling pv energy in Portugal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foleypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Experience of Suntech Solar/Selling pv energy in Portugal Reply with quote

We are having photovoltaic panels installed on our house in Portugal.

Our constructor is recommending

6 panels 190watt panels from suntech STP190S-18/Ub

http://www.suntech-power.com/docs/STO200s-18Ub.pdf

Does anyone have any experience of using Suntech solar panels?

Here in Portugal we can sell our photovoltaic energy to the grid for a significantly greater amount then it costs to buy from the grid. However I had assumed that we would only sell the excess of our production but now I understand that we must sell all or none of our electricity. We will have a five year price guaranty and if that is renewed the panels should be paid for after 8 years. We have been told that in prinicple there is no reason we shouldn't be offered such a contract by the electricity company, although I expect they will take their time, as is traditional in Portugal Wink , actually getting around to granting us the contract.

Our electrician has guarenteed us that should we require it would be a fairly simple task to changing the wiring so we use our electricty in our house.

And yet somehow I have my doubts and would like to use Our electricity in Our house, am I being irrational? an electron is an electron, and that they want me to waste the electricity we use and produce by insisting they pass through more wires then necessary it shouldn't be my concern?

However the only practical difference will be that in case of a power cut we won't be able to use our own pv energy (without rewiring)
phobos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends if you are interested in saving money/the planet, or whether you want to be self-sufficient and cope in power cuts.

As you rightly say you cannot use a grid tie system when the power is off as you are theoretically putting mains power back into the grid and could kill/injure some work men.

Having said that if you want a back up you could simply plug in battery chargers into the mains and charge 12v leisure batterys for times when you have no power.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Solar Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: