PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YOUR FINGERS NEEDED BY 15TH JANUARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you write to your MP about this?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: YOUR FINGERS NEEDED BY 15TH JANUARY Reply with quote

Dear Powerswitch Forum Member,

-------------------------------------------
Powerswitch Parliamentary Campaign
-------------------------------------------

We need your help with a major new campaign to alert MPs to Peak Oil.

The profile of oil depletion in Parliament has been raised by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil (APPGOPO) set up by John Hemming MP in June 2007 with the support of PowerSwitch. The group has heard evidence from David Strahan, Chris Skrebowski. Jeremy Leggett, Chris Vernon and Friends of the Earth. A series of events in 2008 will explore the potential consequences of peak oil and the possible mitigation strategies.

While the group is a great step forward, it will take dedicated public lobbying to force the group's work onto the agenda of most MPs. MPs may be busy, but they do respond to constituents' concerns. We are appealing to all UK citizens concerned about peak oil to write to their local MP to urge them to attend a special Parliamentary screening of A CRUDE AWAKENING on January 29th 2008.

Below is some sample text which you can use for the letter. For maximum effect, it would be great if you could rewrite the text in your own words, making it shorter if you wish.

You can write to your MP about this screening with the excellent and free service at www.writetothem.com, but if possible please notify us at info@powerswitch.org.uk as this will help us know who has been contacted.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you can help us with this crucial campaign,

Yours sincerely,

James Howard
Powerswitch
www.PowerSwitch.Org.Uk

Sample Letter

[your full address ? please include this even if you are emailing your MP]

Dear ?.,

I am writing to express my concern about the increasing evidence that global oil production is likely to peak soon and begin declining. The International Energy Agency (IEA) warned in their Medium Term Oil Market Report (July 2007) of an oil 'supply crunch' by 2012*, and a large body of geologists, oil industry figures and analysts are forecasting that global peak oil production will occur before 2015**.

Declining oil production is likely to cause major economic and social disruption, yet the British government refuses to address this issue, relying on discredited and overly optimistic oil production forecasts from BP, as well as out-of-date forecasts by the IEA.

A number of Parliamentarians are concerned about this matter and have formed the All Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil (APPGOPO) ? www.appgopo.org.uk - which meets regularly to hear evidence from expert speakers and discuss the issue. The group explores the implications of declining world oil production for all aspects of UK life, including foreign policy and security, commerce and industry, health care, transport, international development, food security and town planning.

APPGOPO is organising a film showing of A CRUDE AWAKENING, (released in UK cinemas in November 2007). The showing is open to all Parliamentarians and their staff, and will be held at 6pm on Tuesday January 29th in the Grimond Room, Portcullis House. The film lasts for 83 minutes, and provides an excellent summary of peak oil and the likely consequences for the UK.

Would you please let me know if you will be attending this film showing?

Yours sincerely,

[Your name]

* The Times, July 12th 2007, World facing oil 'supply crunch' as demand soars, http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article2051253.ece

** The Independent, June 14th 2007, World oil supplies are expected to run out faster than expected, warn scientists
http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2656034.ece
mobbsey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I might seem to be a bit of a stick in the mud here, but is 'oil' the real issue?

Britain will not implode because of a shortage of oil, but it will implode because of a shortage of natural gas. The more I look into the energy issue the more I see that the critical issue for the UK will be natural gas supply because it pervades everything from power, to food, to disposing of corpses!

The "peak" theory, if you look at Hubbert's 1956 paper, isn't just about oil, it's about other resources too. We need to advocate a sensible approach to all resources, not just oil. We have to get the message across that it's the current mode society operates in that's the issue, not just what we put in the tanks of our cars.

The problem is, if you tell them we're running out of oil, they'll just run off and promote biofuels, pyrolysis oils, or some other futile solution to solve the oil problem in isolation. We have to look at whole a systems approaches or any single options will fall apart because of resource failures in other parts of the global economy.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobbsey wrote:

The problem is, if you tell them we're running out of oil, they'll just run off and promote biofuels, pyrolysis oils, or some other futile solution to solve the oil problem in isolation.

Yes I had wondered about that, that's why I've yet to write to anybody officially about PO. But I might just give it a go now.
Adam1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written to my MP in the past and it was waste of time but I felt better afterwards.

I have sent this letter to my local councilors, my MP, all the London MEPs and AMs using writetothem.com. It only took 15 mins so even if one of them turns up it will be worth it.
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent this to 2 MPs:

Quote:
Dear ==========,

I am writing to express my concern about how far our economic and national security is increasingly dependent on imported energy and food supplies, whilst increasing evidence shows the global hydrocarbon energy supply flow is likely to constrict demand soon, and decline further beyond the next decade. The International Energy Agency (IEA) warned in their Medium Term Oil Market Report (July 2007) of an oil 'supply crunch' by 2012*, and a large body of geologists, oil industry figures and analysts are forecasting that global peak oil production will occur before 2015**. In addition, there are questions regarding the supply capacity of Uranium for nuclear reactors***.

As we learnt in the 1970s, high energy prices and shortages will cause major economic, political and social disruption. DTI statistics show that our own production of oil and gas have peaked and are declining rapidly. With the backdrop of increasing demand from other countries, amongst ever tightening world markets as supply dries up, this is going to test this nation's economic resilience. It's possible that rationing could even occur.

A number of Parliamentarians are concerned about this matter and have formed the All Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil (APPGOPO) ? www.appgopo.org.uk - which meets regularly to hear evidence from expert speakers and discuss the issue. The group explores the implications of declining energy production for all aspects of UK life, including foreign policy and security, commerce and industry, health care, transport, international development, food security and town planning.

APPGOPO is organising a film showing of A CRUDE AWAKENING, (released in UK cinemas in November 2007). The showing is open to all Parliamentarians and their staff, and will be held at 6pm on Tuesday January 29th in the Grimond Room, Portcullis House. The film lasts for 83 minutes, and provides an excellent summary of peak oil and the likely consequences for the UK.

Would you please let me know if you will be attending this film showing?

Yours sincerely,

=============

* The Times, July 12th 2007, World facing oil 'supply crunch' as demand soars, http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article2051253.ece

** The Independent, June 14th 2007, World oil supplies are expected to run out faster than expected, warn scientists
http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2656034.ece

*** Mr Jeff Combs, President, Ux Consulting, USA, "Building the Nuclear Future: Challenges and Opportunities"
http://www.world-nuclear.org/sym/2006/pdf/combs.pdf

Initiation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, im newly registered but been lurking for probably a year. I took this opportunity to write to my local MP via writetothem.com
Very surprised today to see i got a response from Brian Binley MP (Conservative) for South Northampton

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail about peak oil.

I share your concerns about the future of our oil supply. A broad
energy mix with less reliance on oil and gas would be in the best
interests of the UK and global economy.

You may be aware that Jeremy Leggitt, who used to work in the oil
industry, recently published a book where he predicted that peak oil
will happen sometime in this decade. I think he raises some important
points in his book which certainly need to be further explored.

My colleagues on the Shadow Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform
team recently met Mr Leggitt to discuss peak oil and they are
considering it in the next stage of the Conservative Energy Review. The
review is working alongside the Quality of Life Policy Group, set up by
David Cameron and chaired by John Gummer, which has examined the full
range of policy areas that affect our environment and the quality of our
lives. The Shadow Cabinet is now considering the review.

Thank you again for your email.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Binley MP
Northampton South Constituency

Well atleast they know about it and are to some extent discussing it. Sounds like he has read Jeremy Leggett's book 'half gone'.

No mention of going to see the movie or the APPGOPO though.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite impressive for a letter from an MP. Either he feels really strongly about it or else you live in a Marginal Very Happy

I didn't write to Huge Bayley in the end, the main reason being I've been badgering the poor guy enough about Climate Change and trade justice already! Interestingly, though he's rock solid, if there were to be a 2nd party round here it'd be the Greens.
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandidoz wrote:
I've sent this to 2 MPs:

And got these replies:

Quote:
Thank you for your emailed letter of 11 January.

I have noted your concern about how far our economic and national security is dependent on imported energy and food supplies, and will certainly try an attend the film showing of "A Crude Awakening" in the House of Commons on 29 January.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

With best wishes,

Maria Miller

[Sent on her behalf by Lynn Fox
Secretary to Maria Miller MP
0207 219 5749]

Quote:
Thank you very much for emailing me about this important issue.

Given the unacceptable levels of waste in our economic and energy system, we see a big financial upside for Britain in this agenda. Every ? saved on energy, water or waste management is a ? that can be reinvested more productively or returned to shareholders and taxpayers. The more efficient we are in our use of resources, the more competitive our cost base. Reducing our demand for fossil fuels can only improve our energy security as we move towards being an energy importer in the age of 'peak oil'.

Thank you for letting me know about 'A Crude Awakening' and the showing on January 29th. I have noted it down in my diary and I will certainly attend if my front bench duties allow me to!

Thank you again for emailing me.

With best wishes,

Yours sincerely,

Dominic Grieve MP

mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as we're all posting our replies....
Quote:
Thank you for this.

I shall do my best to attend but if not I hope a member of my staff
will.

Will you be there?

Best wishes
Michael Foster DL MP

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Adam1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wrote my letters, I didn't realise that this event is only open to MPs and Parliamentary staff.
Embarassed
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who turned up?
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MP sent me a letter to say he went to it, and found a different meeting going on in the room!?!?!? Did he make a mistake? Or what?

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: