PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEQs & Personal Carbon Allowances

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: TEQs & Personal Carbon Allowances Reply with quote

The Environmental Audit Committee has said that Personal Carbon Allowances will be more effective at making Carbon Cuts than Carbon Taxation.

It was only back on 8th May when the proposed trial scheme on PCAs was dropped in fear of the "embarrassment", "ridicule" and "shame".

Will the Government be brave enough to take on the recommendations of the EAC ? And what factors will favour this ?

1. The Inexorable, Unstoppable Rising Price and Falling Supply of Crude Oil.
Welcome to Peak Hydrocarbon Energy, folks ! Even if we manage price controls, we still face shortages. What ? Shortages ? Yes. Shortages.

2. The Alarming Reality of Global Geophysical Change.
Random extreme weather increasing in frequency and range.

3. Leonardo DiCappucino, sorry, DiCaprio and his super new film 11th Hour.
The boy looks good in a nice shirt and speaks cogently.

4. Gordon Brown's sinking, appalling lack of political support.
How can he rescue leadership from the jaws of a voting sinkhole ? How can he retain his position on top of the pile ?

Hilary Benn is still not convinced. He says the scheme has "potential", but he can't be more committed than that. Get a grip, man ! Your father never shirks taking a strong position ! Follow his example ! It's better to be hot or freezing than tepid. See the Book of Revelations. Stop being lily-livered, mealy-mouthed and wishy-washy ! For Earth's sake, get some spine, will you !

Here's the media cuttings :-

=x=x=x=x=x=

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7419724.stm

Page last updated at 08:18 GMT, Monday, 26 May 2008 09:18 UK

MPs back personal carbon credits

The government should go ahead with a system of personal "carbon credits" to meet emissions targets, MPs have said.

The Environmental Audit Committee said the scheme would be more effective than taxes for cutting carbon emissions.

Under the scheme people would be given an annual carbon limit for fuel and energy use - which they could exceed by buying credits from those who use less.

Environment minister Hilary Benn said there were practical drawbacks to the plan although it did have "potential".

=x=x=x=x=x=

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/05/26/eacarbon126.xml

Personal carbon trading essential, say MPs

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 26/05/2008

The Government should push ahead with a "radical" system of personal 'carbon credits' if it wants to meet emissions targets, a committee of MPs has said.

They said people would be able to engage with the scheme, which would see everybody given an annual carbon limit to "spend" on items such as fuel and energy bills.

Those who wanted to spend more than their limit would be able to buy extra credits from low carbon emitters. The Environmental Audit Committee said such a system of carbon trading "could be essential in helping to reduce our national carbon footprint".
advertisement

It would be more effective than green taxes at driving down emissions and would also promote behavioural change, the MPs said.

The committee admitted that there was likely to be strong public opposition to the idea but urged the Government to be "courageous".

=x=x=x=x=x=

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Carbon-trading-plan-revived.4119044.jp

Carbon trading plan revived

THE government will today be urged to revive plans to introduce a system of personal "carbon allowances" as a way of tackling climate change.
A committee of MPs said the personal limits were likely to be more effective than new "green" taxes on high-polluting cars and airlines in changing the behaviour of individuals.

Ministers decided last month to wind down preparations on introducing a carbon trading scheme which would reward environmentally sustainable behaviour. But a report today from a cross-party group of MPs will say such radical measures must be considered if the personal and household sectors are ever to make a meaningful contribution to reducing global warming.

* Last Updated: 25 May 2008 10:21 PM
* Source: The Scotsman

=x=x=x=x=x=x=

http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKL2624587620080526

MPs call for personal carbon allowance schemes
Mon May 26, 2008 9:21am BST

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain should consider giving individuals a personal carbon emissions allowance in order to help the country meet its CO2 emissions target, a report by a committee of MPs said on Monday.

Parliament's Environmental Audit Committee said the government had to reduce carbon emissions from individuals and households, as well as businesses and industry, if it was to cut carbon dioxide emissions by 60 percent by 2050 as planned.

Introducing a personal carbon allowance -- whereby people would have to trade in credits if they wanted to exceed their own CO2 quota -- would be more effective and fairer than bringing in "green" taxes, the report by MPs said.

The government said that while the scheme had appeal, it would be too expensive and complicated.

"Existing initiatives are unlikely to bring about behavioural change on the scale required, with many individuals choosing to disregard the connection between their own emissions and the larger challenge," the committee's report said.

"Personal carbon trading might be the kind of radical measure needed to bring about behavioural change."

=x=x=x=x=x=x=

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/7540334

Call to adopt 'carbon credits' plan

* Press Association
* Monday May 26 2008

The Government should push ahead with a "radical" system of personal "carbon credits" if it wants to meet emissions targets, a committee of MPs has said.

They said people would be able to engage with the scheme, which would see everybody given an annual carbon limit which they then 'spent' on items such as fuel and energy bills. Anyone who wanted to spend more than their limit would then be able to buy extra credits from low carbon emitters.

The Environmental Audit Committee said such a system of carbon trading "could be essential in helping to reduce our national carbon footprint". It would be more effective than green taxes at driving down emissions and would also promote behavioural change, the MPs said.

The committee admitted that there was likely to be strong public opposition to the idea but urged the Government to be "courageous", saying the need to reduce emissions was "simply too urgent".

It added: "Persuading the public depends on perceptions of the Government's own commitment to reducing emissions, and of the priority given to climate change in it's own decision making."

In a report entitled Personal Carbon Trading, the committee criticised the Government for it's decision to abandon the idea following a pre-feasibility study.

It concluded: "Personal carbon trading could be essential in helping to reduce our national carbon footprint. Further work is needed before personal carbon trading can be a viable policy option and this must be started urgently, and in earnest.

"In the meantime there is no barrier to the Government developing and deploying the policies that will not only prepare the ground for personal carbon trading, but will ensure its effectiveness and acceptance once implemented."

The group of 16 MPs heard evidence from a range of experts last July. It said that if the Government wanted to "stand the slightest chance of meeting its 2050 carbon emissions target" it could not afford to ignore the domestic and personal sector.

It argued that while there would be severe complexities in establishing the carbon credits system, the vast majority of these were not insurmountable.

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2008, All Rights Reserved.

=x=x=x=x=x=
jo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Personal Carbon Allowances vs EU ETS Reply with quote

A system of Personal Carbon Allowances could start without violating the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS).

The EU ETS concerns "large point emitters" of Carbon, and not the energy spend of the ordinary citizen/consumer.

The EU ETS still needs a lot of refinements before it functions correctly, but while we are waiting for the collective compromise from Europe on this, we could still carry on by ourselves, implementing Personal Carbon Allowances, or PCAs.

In fact, PCAs could well be necessary for the EU ETS to work...

The Cap and Share campaign group :-

http://www.capandshare.org

launched from FEASTA :-

http://www.feasta.org

has shown that very many low-income households would benefit financially from a Carbon Share Certificate scheme. The poorest burn less Carbon, on the whole, and if they can rationalise their energy spend, they can profit from trading up their Carbon Credits to the richer, more energy-wasteful households.
ecoworrier

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done jo for collating all that.

Hilary Benn said there were problems with the plan: "It's got potential but, in essence, it's ahead of its time, the cost of implementing it would be quite high, and there are a lot of practical problems to overcome.
There would also be difficulties in deciding how to set the rations, taking into account a person's age, location and health"

Any comments Shaun?
I enjoyed the talk at Parliament BTW.
jo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Even the Daily Mail reported this ! Reply with quote

It comes to something when even the Daily Hell, I mean, Mail, reports on Personal Carbon Allowances !

=================

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1021983/Every-adult-Britain-forced-carry-carbon-ration-cards-say-MPs.html

Every adult in Britain should be forced to carry 'carbon ration cards', say MPs

By David Derbyshire
Last updated at 5:17 PM on 26th May 2008

MP Tim Yeo MP, says the scheme could be more effective at cutting Britain's greenhouse gas emissions

Every adult in Britain should be forced to use a compulsory 'carbon ration card' when they pay for petrol, airline tickets or household energy, MPs say.

The influential Environmental Audit Committee says a personal carbon trading scheme is the best and fairest way of cutting the UK's carbon dioxide emissions without penalising the poor.

Under the controversial scheme, everyone would be given an annual carbon allowance to use when buying oil, gas, electricity and flights.

Anyone who exceeds their entitlement would have to pay to top-up their carbon credits. But anyone with spare credits at the end of the year would be allowed to sell them for cash.

MPs, led by the Tory Tim Yeo, say the scheme could be more effective at cutting Britain's greenhouse gas emissions that green taxes.

But critics say the idea is costly, bureaucratic, intrusive and unworkable.

====================================
jo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Hilary Benn has "potential" too Reply with quote

If only Hilary Benn knew how much I LOATHE the word "potential".

I've always been a bit radical, a bit skew, a bit anormal, and I used to do some crazy, creative things, and my elders and betters, those in authority over me would write reports saying things just like "jo...has potential..."

The word "potential" is a weasel word. It could be "potential for disaster" or "potential for brilliance", but without properly articulating what something's got potential for, it remains unquantifiable.

As for practical problems, I will enumerate, once again, why the practical problems are virtually non-existent.

I've had a whole CAREER in information systems. I program. I code. I do data. I analyse. I do meetings. I plan. I document. One thing I can reliably tell you is that it would take a roomful of 250 coding monkeys, given access to all the banking code in Europe, roughly 18 months to implement Carbon as a parallel currency. That's the scale of the computer adaptation. Remember the Euro ? Do you realise how many banks have already got shadow currencies programmed into their banking systems ?

As for the proper identification of persons, well, if you want a Carbon Ration, you'll have to sign up to the local Electoral Roll. If you are quasi-unknown, the Council can visit you to check you are human/alive etc. Or you can register for a Carbon Ration via your National Health Service or National Insurance number. We definitely DO NOT need to wait for the implementation of the great white elephant ID Card system that is still being promoted. We can get on with identifying people, on the ground, right now, with local, personable systems of registration. One Ration, one vote etc etc

There would need to be a standard Carbon Ration for everyone 18 years or over, and there would need to be Carbon Credits, a little bit like Family Tax Credits, in order to top people up to the standard if they have extra family-based Carbon expenses, such as disability, elderly or children in the household.

The way the rations would be set is EASY, even for Primary School children. Check the size of the permitted cake, the national Carbon Budget. Then divide it between the number of people. Job done.

A refinement : include the corporates/companies as if they are also individuals entitled to a ration. Whoa. That's TEQs !
ecoworrier

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it could be to hard,as Mr Benn would have us believe.
We need to get on and implement it now, its the perfect time IMO,
as public see green taxes as stealth taxes.

Britain being world leaders with thinking ahead of time, perish the thought. Wink
jo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: New Labour : New Taxation ? Reply with quote

I bet you somebody's already thought of this kind of change in the tax regime in New Labour, but it would be very hard to get the Cabinet to agree to such things, even though the Citizens might jump on it with alacrity, licking their collective lips :-

http://www.changecollege.org.uk/html/manifesto_for_the_little_people.html
Shaun Chamberlin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecoworrier wrote:
Well done jo for collating all that.

Hilary Benn said there were problems with the plan: "It's got potential but, in essence, it's ahead of its time, the cost of implementing it would be quite high, and there are a lot of practical problems to overcome.
There would also be difficulties in deciding how to set the rations, taking into account a person's age, location and health"

Any comments Shaun?
I enjoyed the talk at Parliament BTW.

Hi Ecoworrier, glad to hear you enjoyed my talk. As I discussed on my blog Hilary Benn just parroted the finding of DEFRA's pre-feasibility study that came out the other week.

We at the Lean Economy Connection put out a detailed response to the very conclusions that Mr. Benn quotes, which can be found here. Post back and let us know what you think after reading it.
jo

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Why Mark Lynas is STILL Wrong ! Reply with quote

I don't think Mark Lynas quite gets all the issues behind Carbon Quotas for the People :-

http://www.newstatesman.com/environment/2008/05/carbon-rationing-lynas

so I've written a draft of a piece that I hope could centre him back on the righteous road to rationing :-

http://www.changecollege.org.uk/html/why_mark_lynas_is_still_wrong.html
Shaun Chamberlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Mark Lynas is STILL Wrong ! Reply with quote

jo wrote:
I don't think Mark Lynas quite gets all the issues behind Carbon Quotas for the People :-

http://www.newstatesman.com/environment/2008/05/carbon-rationing-lynas

so I've written a draft of a piece that I hope could centre him back on the righteous road to rationing :-

http://www.changecollege.org.uk/html/why_mark_lynas_is_still_wrong.html

Me too! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> TEQs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: